Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-01-2007, 07:53 PM   #1
Lyric
Registered Users
seller

Is it normal to lose weight with pregnancy?

I am currently preggo and 12 weeks along. My last appt with midwife I lost 6 pounds is this normal with my dd I only gained 20 pounds the whole pregnancy but I don't ever remember losing weight.

Advertisement

Old 06-01-2007, 08:24 PM   #2
sweety13
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Is it normal to lose weight with pregnancy?

I would do some research, that would make me nervous? I don't want to worry you, but if it were me I would be doing some reading. Eat mama eat
sweety13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:29 PM   #3
moobiegirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i remember early in my pregnancy i lost almost fifteen pounds. i didn't start gaining weight until like the week 20 appointment. if your midwife wasn't concerned then you shouldn't be. as long as you are eating and getting all the nutrients you and your baby need you should be fine. good luck!
moobiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:32 PM   #4
sweety13
Registered Users

My Mood:

This is all I could find, so I would say it does/can happen, just make sure your mw is monitoring you well, and I am sure everything will be great!

"At times loss in weight occurs in the initial few months of pregnancy due to nausea and vomiting (morning sickness) leading to a decreased appetite and decreased intake of food. As the problem of morning sickness decreases, the appetite, tolerance and intake of food increases thereby increasing both the maternal and foetal weight. If maternal weight continues to decline even in the later months then it may affect both foetal and maternal health."
sweety13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:42 PM   #5
cisnerosfamily4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

in all three of my pregnancies I would lose weight and then only gain a total of 20-25 lbs throughout. although my midwife was never happy about it, she made sure i was taking of my vitamins, drank tons of water, and continously snacked (including in the middle of the night). At about 20 weeks I started being able to tolerate food better, and slowly the weight came. my kids all had great birth weights (7lb 4oz - 8 lb 13 oz), it may just be the way your body reacts to pregnancy.
cisnerosfamily4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:45 PM   #6
Nikkis_Little_Ladies
Registered Users
Formerly: Nikk25_3
seller

My Mood:

I lost with all three of my pregnancies. DD#1 I lost the most, 32 lbs. And only gained 20 back, and she was born at 9 lbs 3 oz. DD#2 lost 14 lbs gained 11 back, and she was 9 lbs 13 oz, and last but not least DD#3 i lost only 9 lbs but only gained 4-5 pounds back, and she was 9 lbs 2 oz.

My dr was most worried about #1, and kept a close eye on me. It wasn't that I didn't weat, I was just very limited to what I could eat with out vomiting. With my other two pregnancies I was just watched closely and everything was fine.

They say that if you are over weight or have severe moning sickness, then you are more likely to lose at 1st then gain. I would just make sure you watch it close and eat healthy. They always told me that weight gain is not the most important thing. But who knows.

GL mama!! tell your MW you are worried and eat eat eat..
Nikkis_Little_Ladies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:04 PM   #7
VanIslander
Registered Users

My Mood:

I didn't gain any weight in the first trimester. I think if you are still at a healthy weight for your size you shouldn't worry too much. I know it's hard to gain or even maintain your weight when you have morning sickness.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:08 PM   #8
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I lost a bit my first trimester and my doctor didn't worry at all. I didn't loose much my first pregnancy and this one I did but my doctor was more concerned about me gaining too much than for me loosing.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:15 PM   #9
Timetodance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I lost over 9 lbs 1st tri, I was so sick. I gained a TON by the end. Don't worry unless you can't keep anything down.
Timetodance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:15 PM   #10
jessicap
Registered Users
seller

With my first son, I lost almost 65 pounds!!! I had hyperermesis (spelling?) The doc was not concerned though as I was overweight to begin with.

My second son I lost almost 30 pounds. But this time I had only nausea and I ate like a horse....The doc said that I was jumpstarting my metabolism, mine had essentially stopped a few years back due to an eating disorder. So now that I was eating all the time it was giving my body energy to do things and it did not feel as though it had to work in starvation mode.

This pregnancy I have lost 8 pounds and I am 13 weeks.
jessicap is offline   Reply With Quote