Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-29-2014, 04:32 PM   #1
tinymama
Registered Users
seller

How Sleep Deprivation Ruined My Life

Disclaimer:This is not a post about how to get my baby to sleep, so please refrain from that type of advice.

I just wish I had known 6 months ago what I know now.

A.That lack of sleep messes with your hormones in a way that makes you think you're hungry when you're not.
B. Running (for sport) while sleep deprived can actually do more harm than good.
C. If you are not aware of points A&B, you will gain extra weight and injure yourself.

SUCKS!!! Because DD is 16 months old and doesn't sleep longer than 2-3 hours at a time, which means that I don't get any sleep, or if I do, it is not restful. We made it through the first year surprisingly well, returning to my pre-pregnancy weight right away and enjoying jogs in the stroller but it has all been downhill since her 1st birthday. The first warning sign to me was chronic illness due to weakened immune system from sleep deprivation (which did not come as a surprise to me). So I cut back a bit on running for a couple weeks and tried to keep nutrition up for b'fing but then WHAMMY A+B=C. Now I am DEPRESSED because of the weight gain and the fact that I can't run because it hurts when I do.

It kills me that I survived 3 previous pregnancies and a complicated 4th one, just to end up where I am now, in the worst shape ever. And everybody I know of course notices the extra pounds and then they have the nerve to ask me "How's running?". Which translates to me that I am a fat cow and they are only mentioning running as a way of "gently hinting" at this (in case I didn't already know), to encourage me to get out there and run a little more and stop being such a fat cow.

Maybe I am a little extra sensitive at the moment, or maybe they are being as judge mental and suggestive as I feel they are, either way I told DH today after church that I am taking the summer off. From people and their stupid comments. And hoping to sleep while he and the kids are out, and maybe feel less bad about myself. Because I love my family and I love being a mom and I don't need people passing judgement on things that they don't understand.

So I started this post by saying what it is not, but what it is is a WARNING to clue in anyone else who might be dealing with a non-sleeper so that they don't go and cause the train wreck I did. Because, yeah, this SUCKS.

The hormones I was referring to that become out of whack are Leptin and Ghrelin. “Ghrelin is the ‘go’ hormone that tells you when to eat, and when you are sleep-deprived, you have more ghrelin,” Breus says. “Leptin is the hormone that tells you to stop eating, and when you are sleep deprived, you have less leptin. More ghrelin plus less leptin equals weight gain. You are eating more, plus your metabolism is slower when you are sleep-deprived,” (from WebMD).

When it comes to athletics, you are not getting muscle recovery. From shutupandrun.net :
"When you run, you break down your body. You actually get microscopic tears in your muscles. Rest and recovery gives your body the chance to heal these tears and to build even stronger muscles. If you are sleep deprived, this process happens less, or not at all. This can increase chance of injury and just make you feel like crap.
Sleep deprivation can decrease your body’s ability to fight colds, flus and other illnesses. In other words, lack of sleep compromises the immune system.
Athletes who had sleep deprivation report reaching a point of exhaustion 11% more quickly than those who were well rested. Sleep Deprivation makes workouts feel harder than they would if you had adequate sleep. Not rocket science.
Less sleep can inhibit your body’s ability to sweat. This can keep you from cooling down adequately in hot weather.

How Do You Know If You Have Sleep Deprivation?

Everything makes you cry – even the Olympic theme song.
You nod off throughout the day.
You get overwhelmed easily: “I don’t KNOW what I want on my *** Subway sandwich! Too many choices! Who invented this place anyway?”
You fall off the curb, spill things, and fall up the stairs. Your coordination is in the toilet!

Advertisement

Last edited by tinymama; 06-29-2014 at 04:33 PM.
tinymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:16 PM   #2
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: How Sleep Deprivation Ruined My Life

No advice as you asked but hey you did help me with information. This would completely explain why I am hungry so often and have gained so much weight AFTER baby was born. My third child is a rotten sleeper(like I said no advice to offer but boy I sure could use some myself.) Only now at just turned 3 years old is he even beginning to show some semblance of sleeping well.

Until now I just figured I was fat and lazy. At least now I know where to start looking for help.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:19 PM   #3
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

You get overwhelmed easily: “I don’t KNOW what I want on my *** Subway sandwich! Too many choices! Who invented this place anyway?”
You fall off the curb, spill things, and fall up the stairs. Your coordination is in the toilet!

This describes me to a T ever since my son was born. Well to be honest since around mid pregnancy with him.

Too many choices becomes overwhelming. Tripping and dropping things. Chronically tired. Cry over the stupidest things. You didn't mention it but my memory has tanked as well. I even forget to use the bathroom. I'll walk towards the bathroom. Even go in and not remember why I am there. I am probably driving my poor husband crazy.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:35 PM   #4
tinymama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post

This describes me to a T ever since my son was born. Well to be honest since around mid pregnancy with him.

Too many choices becomes overwhelming. Tripping and dropping things. Chronically tired. Cry over the stupidest things. You didn't mention it but my memory has tanked as well. I even forget to use the bathroom. I'll walk towards the bathroom. Even go in and not remember why I am there. I am probably driving my poor husband crazy.
Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time, too. I am glad it helped to read my post. I was actually just coming back to edit the title. It is maybe a little harsh. I could have said something like "How SD affects you" or "Side effects of SD" but NO, I put it all out there in all it's emotive-ness. I think I will leave it, the title, because you have to be truly sleep deprived to understand the perspective of "Ruined My Life". Which is a little out of perspective, I know, since far WORSE things could be happening in my life than what it happening now, but that is sort of the point. IT FEELS LIKE THE WORST when it's not.

And I used to be such a positive person. That is what has been the biggest eye opener for me: aside from the weight gain, this whole not sleeping thing has CHANGED MY PERSONALITY...in a bad way. I just pray that DH and DD's older siblings can hang in there a little while longer while I figure out how to get things back in check. I'm hoping summer break helps with the sleep thing at least, maybe I will get a good nap in some days in lieu of needing to taxi kids around all the time during the school year.

Last edited by tinymama; 06-29-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:20 PM   #5
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yes, I had this experience after my first, a total non-sleeper. I now keep my weight in check by being really careful what I eat and I do make an effort to exercise daily, but I don't currently run.

If I'm not careful, I eat when I'm not hungry, just to boost my mood.

But I would suggest that maybe when people ask you how running is going, they really aren't saying, "Why don't you do something about your weight gain?" I think you might be projecting that feeling. Since at least 2/3 of the U.S. population is overweight or obese, I'm pretty sure if people were feeling really judgy about weight, they'd have their own weight problems under control--unless you know only people at a healthy weight.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:37 PM   #6
tinymama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post
But I would suggest that maybe when people ask you how running is going, they really aren't saying, "Why don't you do something about your weight gain?" I think you might be projecting that feeling...
Yeah, I hope you are right about that. Maybe they are just trying to make conversation with me about something they know that I've (formerly) always enjoyed. Like it would be if I was asking about their work or projects. My DH has been working on this tree house for our kids but I'm pretty sure when people ask him how it's coming along, he doesn't assume they are pointing out his slowness or inadequacy as a carpenter/Dad (both points he might be sensitive about). He doesn't take it the wrong way. I should try to act more like well rested people do

Last edited by tinymama; 06-29-2014 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:40 PM   #7
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

I never thought about the sleep deprivation and then running...definitely a great psa! I hope you are able to get some good sleep soon!
Old 06-29-2014, 06:49 PM   #8
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinymama View Post
Yeah, I hope you are right about that. Maybe they are just trying to make conversation with me about something they know that I've (formerly) always enjoyed. Like I would be if I was asking about their work or projects. My DH has been working on this tree house for our kids but I'm pretty sure when people ask him how it's coming along, he doesn't assume they are pointing out his slowness or inadequacy as a carpenter/Dad (both points he might be sensitive about). He doesn't take it the wrong way. I should try to act more like well rested people do
For sure! I have friends who race and when I ask them about their training, I am making conversation, not telling them they are slow, fat cows.

I am sure I would fail a field sobriety test (I have infant twins and two other kids) myself. I have zero long term memory. I am mostly a happy sleep deprived drunk these days.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:01 PM   #9
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yep. And then people suggest you need antidepressants. Sorry people, exhaustion is not fixed by antidepressants, would you like to be productive and help mama get a nap?

Last edited by twood80; 06-29-2014 at 07:06 PM.
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:07 PM   #10
Pal2012
Registered Users

Oh my. My babe was every 2 for 16 months . It was pure misery and I can't imagine how you even sucked it up enough to be running! There was no easy fix , she just stopped nursing one day and stopped waking up . It was a tough year.
Pal2012 is offline   Reply With Quote