Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-12-2014, 05:10 PM   #11
TypeAMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Di**ae
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes
Hardly anything. We mostly get free materials at the library, use the internet and buy second hand books at a local book store. We don't follow a curriculum
What do you use for math? I think reading, writing, history and science could be relatively easy to piece together from the library for the early grades, but I don't know how I could make that work for math. Do you use any manipulatives for math, or just household items and toys for counters? Are you using a certain website or just grabbing different things from different places? Can you see why I chose my screen name?

Advertisement

Slave to my
TypeAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:20 PM   #12
Hitchkids
Registered Users

Re: How much do you spend?

With 9 students this year, it will likely be a bit over $2K I think. For the preschooler, K, 2nd, 3rd, two 6th, and the 7th grader, their stuff was around $1200 or so. The 10th grader is using a lot of stuff from his older brother but will be taking a few online courses that we have to pay for and we are trying to get the 12th grader into a homeschool community college program (waiting to hear back on his application) so that would be $50 a credit hour. Plus gym class for the older 8 at $25 per student per semester. Honestly, it's not that bad but when you look at it as one big number, it's shocking perhaps.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:56 PM   #13
Hopeabbey
Registered Users

Thanks for this post. It helps to see how other people keep costs down.
Hopeabbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:32 PM   #14
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm sort of scared to add it up! It's probably around $500 for 3 kids. That is by far the most I've spent so far, but I did purchase 2.5-3 years of science curriculum b/c is was a good deal and we are going to start a new history program, so I purchased books for kids at the beginner, grammar and logic level. We'll also be paying $30/month for online courses that I haven't started yet, but that will be Grammar, Writing and Math for 2 kids. That is not counting any extras (co-ops, sports, music/instruments, etc.)
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:18 PM   #15
mfergy0625
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I spent around $400 for 2 kids (second grade and kindergarten). I'm sure I could have done it cheaper but I don't mind paying for things that make my life easier. I went with CLE for our core and HOD for science and history. This only includes curriculum, not extra things like sports and field trips.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:02 AM   #16
CCRMSS
Registered Users

My Mood:
Probably about $300 on curriculum for 1st grade and preschool. Only about $20 of it was preschool though. Another $350 on a co-op class that runs one day a week all school year. I am in pretty good shape on craft supplies but I am sure I will need the random item here and there.

I work part time, so I would rather spend a little more on curriculum that is already "done" for me, rather than take the time to make my own/do a lot of planning/prep work, etc.

I buy a few things used, but most of it was new. I plan to use it for both kids and will likely share with my sis in law as she gets going- at which point we will share the cost.

Last edited by CCRMSS; 07-20-2014 at 06:05 AM.
CCRMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:41 AM   #17
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

We'll be around $400-$500ish for my 11 year (6th grade) most will be for the entire year but not all. Most we will also be able to keep and use with my youngest. Honestly at first it seemed like a lot but honestly even when she was in school I was paying at least this amount per semester between school supplies and "fund raisers.

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:06 PM   #18
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZmommy
We'll be around $400-$500ish for my 11 year (6th grade) most will be for the entire year but not all. Most we will also be able to keep and use with my youngest. Honestly at first it seemed like a lot but honestly even when she was in school I was paying at least this amount per semester between school supplies and "fund raisers.
Yep, and no backpacks and lunch boxes to buy, and no school uniforms (I know that doesn't apply to all). I figure it all evens out in the end.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:27 PM   #19
oregonmom
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Probably around $200 for three kids. We use a lot of online stuff and second hand stuff. Last year we did Easy Peasy and next year at least the oldest and probably my middle son will use the discoveryk12.com. We did buy reading eggs for the two younger boys, because it was the one thing that I found that actually helped my 8 year old learn how to read. The $200 is mostly for supplies.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:22 PM   #20
beckis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I use Calvert for my oldest so I buy it when it's 30% off in the spring. Doing so, I spend about $750 and he's in 5th grade. It goes up a bit each year. :/ I do have him use notebooks for the consumable book writing, or photo copy the pages. I have 4 kids and will use each grade level for each child, so if you factor it all in, even if I spent $800 a year for my oldest, divided by 4 kids, it averages to $200 per year (plus the books hold residual resale value) which I think it an excellent amount per year for each child. Could I get curriculum cheaper? Yes, but I really love Calvert and I feel it's very academically valued.

Plus, every time in think about how much I spend, I just remind myself that the prep school here is $12,000/yr for Kindergarten and tuition is higher for each grade.... x 4 kids, I *could* be spending $50,000+ per year for a comparable education!! >.< o.O