Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-12-2014, 12:15 PM   #1
AngelosMama
Registered Users

My Mood:
Beast cheap diaper covers?

I MEANT BEST, BEST CHEAP DIAPER COVERS! I can't seem to edit my title here!

I am new to cloth diapering and I'm pretty much open to trying anything including having my mom sew some covers.

What is you favorite brand for covers that are inexpensive (if that's such a thing!)

Advertisement

AngelosMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:35 PM   #2
pixie310
Registered Users
seller

Re: Beast cheap diaper covers?

It depends on what Kind of cover you want. If you want really cheap and since you have someone to sew them for you I would say fleece soakers. You can get fleece cheap or better yet just up cycle old blankets and its free!!. I bought two big fleece blankets at a yardsale for a $1 And I think I made 10 covers lol . Or if you want pul covers econobum is probably the best I have three I've been using for two years and they are still like new. I would have said diaper safari a few months ago But I have two I've only had less then a year and they have so many cracks its not even funny =(
Old 07-12-2014, 12:51 PM   #3
Southernbelle
Registered Users
seller

A cheap cover I love are Motherease Airflows. They work best over a fitted diaper or snappied prefold/flat because of their roomy fit, but they're very durable and they only have a few sizes to buy. I have some that I bought 14 years ago when my first was in cloth and now I'm using them with my fifth!

Bummi Super Whisper Wraps are also durable covers that are reasonably priced. I don't love the fit on my kids, but they're cute, cheap and bulletproof.

Nikky breathable poly covers and Imse Vimse covers aren't cheap, but I think they're worth the money. I've also had some of those for 14 years and they've withstood the test of time. I like the trimmer fit, breathability and smooth stretch.

Making your own covers with old fleece blankets or wool sweaters are cheap options that perform really well and allow you to get creative and recycle.

Buying used covers will save you money, too.

Mama to 6: DD 6/00, DS 2/02, DD 11/05, DS 12/10, DS 5/14 and DD 7/15
3 angel babies from miscarriages
Southernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 02:04 PM   #4
Mommy2Ellis
Registered Users

Re: Best cheap diaper covers?

I like Thirsties. They're not bulky and you can really customize the fit, plus they have a double leg gusset that contains all the mess. I have a couple Bummis Super Whisper Wraps and have only used them a handful of times. They don't fit my son very well, don't have the inner leg gusset, and don't have different rise settings.
Mommy2Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 02:28 PM   #5
carverjill
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

The bummis pull on are great for an infant if you are using fitteds or snappied prefolds. Once your kid gets bigger the pull on is trickier but can be done. They are super cheap!
Old 07-12-2014, 04:08 PM   #6
jabeaugh
Registered Users
seller

I love econobum! I got one to try and am ordering a few more. Love how stretchy they are!

Sent from my iPhone using diaperswappers.com
jabeaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:21 PM   #7
Servant4Christ
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Some mamas like dappi nylon pull on covers but I personally prefer bummis pull on covers because they're idiot proof to put on and have lycra binding instead of elastic so they just seem to hold up longer for us. I sewed some prefolds out of floursack towels to go under them because I am not good enough at sewing to attempt making fitteds.... that and drying time is less, too.
Servant4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:59 PM   #8
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't used them but people really like diaper safari or diaper rite covers. The diaper safari ones especially go on sale often.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:05 PM   #9
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:
I would stay far away from diaper safari ,there are several threads recently about them delaminating and shot elastic. I personally have thrown away 3 I bought in November because they were unusable. I agree with using fleece and I love mother ease but unless you can get them used they are $13 (which isn't cheap to me). I would look around the fsot and maybe fond a couple of used covers to try so you can decide what works for your baby before you invest in a cover stash.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:13 AM   #10
srw.mutter
Registered Users
seller
seller

I love econobum, even though they are more expensive than they used to be
srw.mutter is offline   Reply With Quote