Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-20-2006, 12:34 PM   #1
offlikeapromdress
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Moms of Thumb suckers

Sophia has been a thumb sucker since birth whereas Olivia wasnt. I just noticed on Sophia's hand between her thumb and her first finger that she has it raw from sucking on her thumb, im guessing. There are even a couple of blisters. Is this normal. I go to the pedi tomorrow for her 1 yr shots so Im gonna ask, but just wondering from BTDT moms.

Advertisement

Old 06-20-2006, 12:42 PM   #2
dee1972
Registered Users

Re: Moms of Thumb suckers

Yes, the thumb sucking blisters are normal. If your pediatrician knows some magic way to get kids to stop sucking their thumbs, please let me know!! My 11 year old still does. We've tried the marketed bitter tasting "paints" to no avail. Some of the others did, but stopped on their own. Anyway, the blisters usually don't cause a problem or an infection, in my experience.
dee1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 12:44 PM   #3
offlikeapromdress
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks. I never noticed it till this morning but I did notice she has been sucking it more and more lately and not just at night or nap time..lol.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:53 PM   #4
Moo&LaLasMomma
Registered Users
Formerly: Ms.LillyAnnzMommy
seller

My Mood:

lilly is a thumb sucker as well .......... agreed * magic remedy * send it our way toooooooooo

Andrea mother to Ms.Lilly-Ann 2/4/05
and Ms.Molly Renee 6/10/08
Proudly raising My Minis
Moo&LaLasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 01:15 PM   #5
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

2 of my kids do. Tirza is 7 and still does when she's tired, though she does it less and less. Nadia(4) sucks her 2 fingers all the time. Nadia has bumps, not really blisters more like a callous(sp?). Tirza doesn't becuase she does it so much less now but she did when she was younger.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:20 PM   #6
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:

Keegans started sucking his forefinger when he was 2 months old and still does at 4 years of age in a few weeks. We have tried different remedies and now are starting to look at saving money for a good orthodontis eek!

He does it when he needs to soothe himself or when he's tired.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:29 PM   #7
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD is a finger sucker. Only once have I saw her finger look wrinkled, like she has been in water for too long. I just tried to get her to stop for that day as much as possible and it went away. I'd also like in on the miracle cure

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:40 PM   #8
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:

my youngest (currently lol) sucks his thumb...he has since he was a few weeks old. he's now 3 and i honestly haven't tried anything to stop him from doing it. he does it only when he's VERY upset and when he's tired and/or going to sleep. it never stays in his mouth for very long. for awhile there actually he did suck it for longer periods and caused a callous, which isn't as bad now as it was when he first got it. as far as i know as long as they don't suck it for very long periods it won't cause any orthodontic issues. my mom sucked her one finger until she was like 13 i think, no biggie. i'm actually glad my kid has his own way of getting himself to sleep. if he did it constantly i think i'd probably try to stop him but as of now no biggie. the only thing that frustrates me is when other people tell him to take that thumb out of his mouth. i jjust tell him to leave it in there lol. if he's tired and wants to soothe himself to sleep more power to him!

Mom to 4 boys~AJ~Dustin~Brighton~Tristan~ & 1 Angel Baby Ilori
& our 1 girly Baker, 8/13
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 11:54 PM   #9
teachermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by myajdw
he does it only when he's VERY upset and when he's tired and/or going to sleep....... the only thing that frustrates me is when other people tell him to take that thumb out of his mouth. i jjust tell him to leave it in there lol. if he's tired and wants to soothe himself to sleep more power to him!

Same story here too............3 year old thumb sucker since birth and she's not planning on quitting anytime soon. Me, I never sucked but had extensive orthodontia work done starting at the age of seven so I kinda figure she may have similar issues regardless of the thumb sucking or not. And as for breaking the habit, I have a teacher friend who said that she sucked til she was in her twenties and has never had a single issue with her teeth. So it really just depends on how they suck their thumb and the angles and the way it rests against their teeth.

As far as breaking the habit, it's her thumb! I'll let her decide when she's ready to give it up. It sure hasn't affected her speech any..........she started talking at 6 mos. and hasn't stopped since!! LOL (Most of the thumbsuckers I have come across in my years teaching in the public schools have stopped once they got into kindergarten if that helps soothe anybody.)
teachermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 12:06 AM   #10
bsydprmkn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

dd is almost 3 and ds is almost 2 and both suck their left thumbs constantly. most people think its cute cause its the same side and since they always have the thumbs in the mouth, they are like awwwwwww. me personally i cant say anything. thumb sucker until i was like 16. both of the kids have really bad sores around their thumbs. ds sees a dermatologist once a month and she said it was nothing to worry about unless it started swelling or oozing.
bsydprmkn is offline   Reply With Quote