Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-15-2014, 10:25 AM   #1
littlesteps
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
NB Diaper Discussion

Hi All!

After a long hiatus, I'm expecting! Baby 2 is due in February. DH wasn't interested in cloth with our first (who is 5 now), chances are high the interest stays the same, but it's ok. I still used cloth -a simple stash of pockets, covers, and flats packed away- even with his case of the Ikies lol. I plan to use cloth for B2 as well-yay!

Here are my discussion points:
Do I cloth from NB? I'd love to.
Is it worth it to buy a NB stash? (Your answer here )
How easy is it to turn over when LO grows out of them? (Your answer )
How worried about the umbilical stump where you? Im 9 weeks so there's a Lot of time to wait to see how big baby may be. DD1 was 7lb 13oz.
Meconium Poo and dipes. Experiences?

I expect to be in the same condition of perpetual exhaustion as DD1 lol. So I'm also looking for easy options to diaper in the beginning then move to my simple stash when I'm less sleep deprived.

AIOs, AI2s, fitteds, seem to be "fast" options. I'm willing to pre stuff/ snap, but really looking for easy launder/ no fuss NB routine- what are your thoughts? Diaper suggestions?

I'm really excited for our new family member, and decision to cloth, thanks for lending your time to give me a hand.

Advertisement

littlesteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:20 AM   #2
nannorie85
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: NB Diaper Discussion

Do I cloth from NB? I planned to but didn't start until DD was 3 weeks and 8lbs.

Is it worth it to buy a NB stash? Yes!!

How easy is it to turn over when LO grows out of them? Very. The worse part is getting to the PO to ship.

How worried about the umbilical stump where you? I was worried about that and bulk. See #1

Meconium Poo and dipes? Only had 1 or 2 in cloth and they came out without any extra laundry steps.

FWIW for reference, My favorite newborn dipaers are Simplex and Grovia. Greffen Absorbers in Rumparooz PUL covers. xs Sandies or Mutaqin fitteds in Lovey Bums or Disana pull on wool covers.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:56 AM   #3
AmandaA
Registered Users
seller

We started cloth around 2 weeks. We had planned on being a C/S and had a surprise vbac, so I had planned on giving myself a little time to recover before having to worry about the laundry (because I trust no one with my diaper laundry!)

I did not buy initially- I rented from Kissed by the Moon (and ended up buying my simplex since they lasted us several more months and I loved them)

I have yet to resell in hopes I might convince DH for #3- but those are always in demand and will be easy to sell when I finally decide to

I was worried about the stump- the simplex and lil joeys were best for us. Covers even with the notch rubbed DD and were very bulky.

Meconium was N/A for us since I waited to start

Simplex were our favorites and lasted a long time for DD (7#6oz). I also had a 2 year old in cloth at the same time. I did a lot of laundry, but survived. If I get to do it over again, I would also add some fitteds to use with the grovia and soft bums covers we have since acquired. I also ended up moving onto a stash of sized applecheeks/AMPs, and would get those out and use them earlier with the next kiddo. They would have fit really well once she started putting on some weight. My DH was totally ambivalent about cloth with DS. He would always use sposies when I was away (which wasn't a big deal to me). With DD he has really surprised me. So long as it isn't something too complicated he will reach for and use cloth. He still leaves the dirties for me to rinse, pail, etc. which is fine by me. So you never know... DH might surprise you.
AmandaA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:24 PM   #4
mrsheath
Registered Users
seller

First of all, congratulations!

Our LO is 2 weeks today and I've spent the last 2 weeks trying to find a dipe that fits her right. I've learned about the "many shapes & sizes" thing the hard way. I thought I knew exactly what brand and kind I wanted before she was born and that did not work out as planned. So I've just ordered 4 different AIO brand of diaper (1 a piece) to see which fit her the best. But for me, fit and trimness might be too important. I just mostly want her clothes to fit her well with them and with the ones I had ordered before she was born, she lays with her head at a decline when on a flat surface because the diapers were so bulky!
Then with the next style I tried, the legs were so tight (she has thick thighs) that it made her legs turn purple, but in a looser setting, they were too big in the waist. Luckily I caught it right away.
I guess my point is, I'm only 2 weeks in and have contemplated quitting... Seems like a NB stash is absolutely worth it if you can find the right one. I'd order as many different kinds (1 a piece) as you can off of this site and then resell what you do not like. That's where I'm at anyways. I can keep you posted in how that goes if you like. I'll have my "sample pack" Friday. Hopefully one of those work. This is a little tricky.
mrsheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:31 PM   #5
momma23
Registered Users

Honestly, I've tried cloth diapering with at least 3 newborns, and failed every time...I'm not sure if it's because I was convinced that I would only use prefolds because they are cheaper or what my problem was. It would usually work for several weeks and then I'd get behind on laundry and I would get frustrated and put it all away. To me, it was better to just wait until I had the whole breastfeeding thing well under way and could anticipate our schedule or routine a little. That being said, I know a lot of ladies have made it work. It all depends on your situation and your mindset with it. For me, it boiled down to it was just an extra thing to stress about and it wasn't worth it. If I could change things, I would not have bought my newborn stash and would've just started around 6-8 weeks.
momma23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:38 PM   #6
AmandaA
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsheath View Post

Our LO is 2 weeks today and I've spent the last 2 weeks trying to find a dipe that fits her right. I've learned about the "many shapes & sizes" thing the hard way. I thought I knew exactly what brand and kind I wanted before she was born and that did not work out as planned. So I've just ordered 4 different AIO brand of diaper (1 a piece) to see which fit her the best. But for me, fit and trimness might be too important. I just mostly want her clothes to fit her well with them and with the ones I had ordered before she was born, she lays with her head at a decline when on a flat surface because the diapers were so bulky!
Then with the next style I tried, the legs were so tight (she has thick thighs) that it made her legs turn purple, but in a looser setting, they were too big in the waist. Luckily I caught it right away.
I guess my point is, I'm only 2 weeks in and have contemplated quitting... Seems like a NB stash is absolutely worth it if you can find the right one. I'd order as many different kinds (1 a piece) as you can off of this site and then resell what you do not like. That's where I'm at anyways. I can keep you posted in how that goes if you like. I'll have my "sample pack" Friday. Hopefully one of those work. This is a little tricky.
So sorry to read that you are struggling. There is nothing wrong with taking a break if it is stressing you out and just not working. But it will get easier, I promise! Don't give up just yet. There are lots of really helpful mamas around here to help or just offer support!
AmandaA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:27 PM   #7
littlesteps
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsheath View Post

Thank you and Congrats to you too! I totally get where you're coming from! Fit is such a big puzzle! I hope you find your solution soon . Please do keep me posted, I'd love to see how things turn out. It's tricky, but you're doing awesome , you've already gone two weeks and that's great. I agree. There are so many helpful people here! What's in your trial pack? DD was long, skinny in the leg and waist even when I started cloth at 9mos. I'd love to see my new LO in cloth sooner .

Last edited by littlesteps; 07-15-2014 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 07-15-2014, 02:43 PM   #8
littlesteps
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma23 View Post
Honestly, I've tried cloth diapering with at least 3 newborns, and failed every time...I'm not sure if it's because I was convinced that I would only use prefolds because they are cheaper or what my problem was. It would usually work for several weeks and then I'd get behind on laundry and I would get frustrated and put it all away. To me, it was better to just wait until I had the whole breastfeeding thing well under way and could anticipate our schedule or routine a little. That being said, I know a lot of ladies have made it work. It all depends on your situation and your mindset with it. For me, it boiled down to it was just an extra thing to stress about and it wasn't worth it. If I could change things, I would not have bought my newborn stash and would've just started around 6-8 weeks.
I'm sorry you had a hard time at first! I hope with B2 we have less stress, but who knows right? My heart says I can do it, but there's that possibility we just won't be able to right away physically. If that's the case I'm totally ok with waiting, and 6-8 weeks sounds do-able . You're a total go getter for trying on three! so when did you restart cloth? What did you use?
Old 07-15-2014, 03:05 PM   #9
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Is it worth it to buy a NB stash?
If you plan on more children to get your money's worth or are willing to go the selling process, I totally believe it's worth it. With my last newborn, I bought diapers used, got some for free or cheap enough new that it was the same price as new, or bought brands that hold their resale very well. I sold everything for what I paid (and sometimes more, depending on how good of a deal it had been), in the end I paid about $40 in shipping/pp fees. Considering I had name brand diapers and a very large stash, that is not too bad at all. I am doing the same for this new one. Prefolds and covers are cheap, but the resale on prefolds is crap once you factor in shipping so unless you can sell locally (or are planning to keep for future children) they actually came out to be the more expensive option for me.
How easy is it to turn over when LO grows out of them?
There were only a few that were really hard to let go. For the most part, I was looking forward to getting my money back, so all but a small handful were easy to sell so I could have the money for more diapers I did keep his first one he ever wore, my favorite, and I eventually bought back a custom I had regretted selling.
How worried about the umbilical stump where you?
My son was 8lbs and 21 inches at birth. Even being long, the cord stump rubbed on all my velcro diapers. I preferred my snap diapers while he had the cord stump.
Meconium Poo and dipes. Experiences?
[B]My son went to NICU for a couple so we didn't really deal with true meconium, but he had jaundice really bad and so he had really dark poop for about a week. It didn't affect our diapers at all, the sun will take care of anything (it can be indoors, or during rain, even! UV rays still get through ), and I plan on cloth from diaper 1 with this one. B]
~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:54 PM   #10
littlesteps
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thumbs up Re: NB Diaper Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaA View Post
We started cloth around 2 weeks. We had planned on being a C/S and had a surprise vbac, so I had planned on giving myself a little time to recover before having to worry about the laundry (because I trust no one with my diaper laundry!)

I did not buy initially- I rented from Kissed by the Moon (and ended up buying my simplex since they lasted us several more months and I loved them)

I have yet to resell in hopes I might convince DH for #3- but those are always in demand and will be easy to sell when I finally decide to

I was worried about the stump- the simplex and lil joeys were best for us. Covers even with the notch rubbed DD and were very bulky.

Meconium was N/A for us since I waited to start

Simplex were our favorites and lasted a long time for DD (7#6oz). I also had a 2 year old in cloth at the same time. I did a lot of laundry, but survived. If I get to do it over again, I would also add some fitteds to use with the grovia and soft bums covers we have since acquired. I also ended up moving onto a stash of sized applecheeks/AMPs, and would get those out and use them earlier with the next kiddo. They would have fit really well once she started putting on some weight. My DH was totally ambivalent about cloth with DS. He would always use sposies when I was away (which wasn't a big deal to me). With DD he has really surprised me. So long as it isn't something too complicated he will reach for and use cloth. He still leaves the dirties for me to rinse, pail, etc. which is fine by me. So you never know... DH might surprise you.

Renting?! Really. I'm SO looking into it TY for that golden nugget . My SIL loves her Simplex, and I'll have to check into Applecheeks for sure. I don't mind the laundry actually lol, I used flats mostly and used to prefold them before use. It was my fave part (I'm weird like that lol!). When I get a few to try, I do want them to be super easy, Just in case DH has a change of heart. Though I expect he'd prob be like yours and leave me to do the rinsing lol, and I'm totally cool with that. I'm also not so hardcore to mind him using sposies, but Here's to hope! . This baby is our last, so I have a chance to diaper earlier, but I want to invest smartly to be able to recoup a little when we're done, but still have a little fun with it too . So you waited check. If I feel like I did with DD1 I'll most likely wait too. There are a lot of variables to weigh. I love this thread!