Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-15-2014, 06:30 PM   #11
Kandarpa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: NB Diaper Discussion

Congrats on new LO coming!

-Do I cloth from NB?
-I cloth diapered DS1 from 3 weeks and DS2 from day one (homebirth). I loved cloth from beginning The reason I didn't start from day one with DS1 is that I didn't know about all the diaper options, and the ones I bought to use for him were one size, to be started at about 12 lbs. I couldn't wait though and started earlier :0) They were super bulky but I really preferred cloth to disposables.

-Is it worth it to buy a NB stash?
-Yes, for sure! I bought a NB stash for DS2 and loved it! I'm not a fan of PUL, we did prefolds, various fitteds and woolies

-How easy is it to turn over when LO grows out of them?
- It was fairly easy. I sold whatever I wasn't too happy with and kept the rest for baby #3, who we are expecting in about 7 weeks now I'm excited to do prefolds, fitteds and wool again this time! It wasn't too hard for me, especially having enough fitteds for the nighttime changes, and enough woolies (so that I don't feel too stressed to wash them right away and worry if I'll have enough in case of a blowout).

-How worried about the umbilical stump where you? Im 9 weeks so there's a Lot of time to wait to see how big baby may be. DD1 was 7lb 13oz.
-I wasn't too worried and figured out the way to put the diapers under the stump. It was still rubbing a little, but not too bad. It's nice to have fitteds which snap down in the front, prefolds are easily adjustable too My kids were 7lb 6 oz and 7 lb 10 oz. This time, for baby #3 I have NB Goodmamas, NB Star Baby Design, Amelia & Macie's NB and some Bamboozles sz1 as well as prefolds. All the fitteds have the umbilical snap down, so I think it's gonna work out good.

-Meconium Poo and dipes. Experiences?
-It washes out with no problems. I didn't have to sun even, it just all came out with repeated washings.

Hope that helps

Advertisement

Kandarpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:14 PM   #12
abbers28
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesteps View Post
Here are my discussion points:
Do I cloth from NB? I'd love to.
Is it worth it to buy a NB stash? (Your answer here )
How easy is it to turn over when LO grows out of them? (Your answer )
How worried about the umbilical stump where you? Im 9 weeks so there's a Lot of time to wait to see how big baby may be. DD1 was 7lb 13oz.
Meconium Poo and dipes. Experiences?
Thanks for posting this! I've actually been wondering some of the same questions lately as I'm planning on cloth diapering DD1 when she's born in 8 weeks. I was already buying diapers she could fit into right away, but I was wondering how well cloth diapering goes when you start from the beginning. I didn't start cloth diapers on DS1 until he was 7 months old, so I have no experience with NB cloth diapers. I enjoyed reading these posts though and I feel encouraged. Thank you!
abbers28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:24 PM   #13
mrsheath
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesteps
Thank you and Congrats to you too! I totally get where you're coming from! Fit is such a big puzzle! I hope you find your solution soon . Please do keep me posted, I'd love to see how things turn out. It's tricky, but you're doing awesome , you've already gone two weeks and that's great. I agree. There are so many helpful people here! What's in your trial pack? DD was long, skinny in the leg and waist even when I started cloth at 9mos. I'd love to see my new LO in cloth sooner .
A lil Joey, swaddlebees, Charlie Banana & grovia. All NB. All AIO except the CB. But all have a rep of fitting "trim". So we shall see I guess.

Thanks for the encouragement! It's been 2 weeks of on again off again, but since I've been waiting on these new dipes, she's gotten a rash from disposables. So I'm using the 6 Sbish HLC (very bulky but fit her legs and waist) I have to give her bottom a break and then disposables til these are washed and dried. I'm so looking forward to trying the new ones.
mrsheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:23 AM   #14
littlesteps
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

[QUOTE=Kandarpa;17417102]Congrats on new LO coming!

-Do I cloth from NB?
-I cloth diapered DS1 from 3 weeks and DS2 from day one (homebirth). I loved cloth from beginning The reason I didn't start from day one with DS1 is that I didn't know about all the diaper options, and the ones I bought to use for him were one size, to be started at about 12 lbs. I couldn't wait though and started earlier :0) They were super bulky but I really preferred cloth to disposables.

I am SO happy with our bun-in-the-oven! Thank you! I went through a few types w/ DD1, and while I loved PFs, fitteds, contours, the laundry seemed to take FORever. I want them now even knowing it might take longer to dry and all the prep work. (I think if I do go PF again it'll be earlier than delivery so I can prep over time with laundry day...) Disposables are not my first choice either! I'm still very torn on what to get lol. I love wool, and learned a few patterns when I discovered how easy it was to knit my own woolies. I'm still feeling the Old School style is my favorite option: PFs and Flats. For helpers though I'm leaning toward a small stash of AIO. I'm loving all this information/ input. TY!!
littlesteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:31 AM   #15
littlesteps
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsheath View Post
Thanks for the encouragement! It's been 2 weeks of on again off again, but since I've been waiting on these new dipes, she's gotten a rash from disposables. So I'm using the 6 Sbish HLC (very bulky but fit her legs and waist) I have to give her bottom a break and then disposables til these are washed and dried. I'm so looking forward to trying the new ones.
I hope your endeavor to CD is going well, despite the hiccups! Once you get into the right groove, things will be awesome, no matter how you diaper. :high five:. I'm still on the fence with my shopping. Though I think I might get a 1/2time mixed stash of AIOs (Lil Joeys, NB Simplex and ??TBD) and get some pre fitted workhorses with covers and PFs. I'm so torn though!! Opinions and experiences here continue to help. How are things?

Last edited by littlesteps; 07-22-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:02 PM   #16
littlesteps
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Bump! Keep the discussion alive! I love the experiences and product suggestions, it's super helpful, and I appreciate anything you can contribute
Old 07-22-2014, 08:45 PM   #17
littlesteps
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Bedtime Bump!
Old 07-23-2014, 09:55 AM   #18
bananasfoster
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do I cloth from NB? We started from 2 wks to avoid meconium staining
Is it worth it to buy a NB stash? It's not too bad if you choose inexpensive dipes like prefolds and covers, especially used. They are usually in nearly new condition, since you get 2 months or less out of them.
How easy is it to turn over when LO grows out of them? I have hung on to mine, but from my experience trying to get my hands on used ones last time, those dang things move quick!
How worried about the umbilical stump where you? Nb covers usually have a cutout for the stump, we never had issues.
Our nb stash was 36 gmd orange prefolds and various bummis and other covers. A snappy is essential and double gussets in the leg are nice if you don't want that nb poo to escape. I didn't find pfs hard to work with, but we did eventually transition to mostly pockets once dd got big enough for os.

Chiropractor by day, Wife ,and Mommy to to DD (10/10) and DS 03/15
bananasfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:35 AM   #19
bellx1
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesteps View Post
Hi All!

After a long hiatus, I'm expecting! Baby 2 is due in February. DH wasn't interested in cloth with our first (who is 5 now), chances are high the interest stays the same, but it's ok. I still used cloth -a simple stash of pockets, covers, and flats packed away- even with his case of the Ikies lol. I plan to use cloth for B2 as well-yay!

Do I cloth from NB? I'd love to.
Is it worth it to buy a NB stash? (Your answer here )
How easy is it to turn over when LO grows out of them? (Your answer )
How worried about the umbilical stump where you? Im 9 weeks so there's a Lot of time to wait to see how big baby may be. DD1 was 7lb 13oz.
Meconium Poo and dipes. Experiences?

I expect to be in the same condition of perpetual exhaustion as DD1 lol. So I'm also looking for easy options to diaper in the beginning then move to my simple stash when I'm less sleep deprived.

AIOs, AI2s, fitteds, seem to be "fast" options. I'm willing to pre stuff/ snap, but really looking for easy launder/ no fuss NB routine- what are your thoughts? Diaper suggestions?

I'm really excited for our new family member, and decision to cloth, thanks for lending your time to give me a hand.

I totally think CDing a NB is worth it dependent on the type of diaper. I used flats and covers, but I could see using pockets. I never could bring myself to use AIO at any stage of diapering. If your babies tend to fit into smalls/NB/size 1 diapers for a few months then I think its worth spending more $ on the stash.

As for turn over, I kept my NB/small/sz 1 covers for the next baby, but it seems like they sell quick on FSOT.

I wasnt too worried about the umbilical stump. Small pro wraps on a NB rubbed but I had otger covers so I just rotated through until the stump fell off.

Meconium was no big deal. It didnt even stain, washed right off in the washing machibe. No scraping or dunking etc like some say.

Covers I liked... Thirsties sz 1, rumparooz nb (despite their stiffness), bummis super lite, and proraps, the latter 2 were better after stump fell off, and they fit longer.

Even with sleep depravation, and having 2 other kids, and still needing to cook dinner begenning only a day after coming home, I really liked the simplicity, and custom fit of flats abd covers
Expecting #4 August 2015
bellx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:13 PM   #20
epanouie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Aw! My faves WERE only $59 per dozen on this site, now they're $84...still a great deal, but I wish the price hadn't increased.

http://www.granolababies.com/product...d-diapers-used
epanouie is offline   Reply With Quote