Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-24-2014, 06:48 AM   #21
ASpiro
Registered Users
seller

Re: NB Diaper Discussion

We started cloth after the meconium passed with our little one but we only had 5 simplex diapers and the rest prefolds/covers so we were only part time CD-ing for the first 2 weeks because I was PETRIFIED of the cord stump (first baby, things will be different next time for sure ) For us it was really worth having a NB stash because she was in orange edge GMD prefolds and NB covers for 6 weeks, and the simplex that we had fit her for 3 months. She was 7 lb even at birth. I personally LOVED simplex for ease of use but also loved prefolds/covers as well. My ideal newborn stash would be 10 simplex, 10 GMD workhorse fitted diapers, 16 prefolds and 6-8 newborn covers. My favorite NB covers were the Bummis super whisper wrap, Thirsties duo size 1, and Blueberry Capri size 1. We haven't sold ours because we are hoping for more children but I have sold other diapers and the commenter who said getting it to the PO is the hardest part is totally right!!!

Advertisement

ASpiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:52 AM   #22
emilysalao
Registered Users

My Mood:

Do I cloth from NB? I did starting at 2 weeks and almost 8 lbs with mostly OS diapers.
Is it worth it to buy a NB stash? No. We bought a few size small covers and used OS.
How easy is it to turn over when LO grows out of them? We are still using all but 3 of our diapers and haven't tried to sell them.
How worried about the umbilical stump where you? My son's umbilical stump fell off around 2-3 weeks, but didn't heal until almost 3 months. We came close to having it cauterized. We just folded down the diapers (mostly velcro) so they wouldn't rub.
Meconium Poo and dipes. No experience with cloth but only had a few with disposables.
emilysalao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:17 AM   #23
mav83
Registered Users

Congrats on baby #2!

Here are my discussion points:
Do I cloth from NB? I started using cloth as soon as we ran out of the newborn pampers we had been given in the hospital. So at a few days old.
Is it worth it to buy a NB stash? Probably if you plan on having any more. My 3rd was almost 6 years after my previous baby and the first baby I CD from newborn age so I went with a rental and loved it.
How easy is it to turn over when LO grows out of them? I just mailed my rentals back
How worried about the umbilical stump where you? We had no issues
Meconium Poo and dipes. economy was gone by the time her bum was in cloth, but from my research it didn't sound like an issue.

I rented newborn simplex and loved them. They worked well and lasted a long time. I also had bought a dozen newborn prefolds and 7 newborn fitteds. I used the prefolds and fitteds for around the house and the simplex for out and about and for night time. Having an AIO made night time changes much easier. I had enough diapers to wash every 3rd day so I didn't feel like I was constantly washing diapers. Good luck and have fun!
mav83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:34 AM   #24
littlesteps
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You guys are great! We just had our third visit to the Dr. "Spider-Man" is doing awesome! Still undecided lol! So terrible. Keep the stories and experiences coming. Five more months to go!
littlesteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:46 PM   #25
HopefullyMama
Registered Users
seller

Renting is a great option, fyi. I started using cloth at the 2 week mark (after meconium and cord stump), and will start using cloth at night in the next week (we're at 6 weeks here). He just stopped pooping at night, so it was always just easiest to use a few sposies for the immediate postpartum nighttime.

HTH!
HopefullyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:34 PM   #26
Rjohnson7
Registered Users
seller

I received a month of diaper service (prefolds) as a baby shower gift for my first baby. Best thing ever! I got used to using cloth diapers but didn't have all the laundry. A life saver for the first two weeks when I was recovering from labor.
Rjohnson7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:01 AM   #27
littlesteps
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone for the great input!! I love it. Please keep the recommendations coming . We're starting to make decisions, and everything is helpful! Thank you!!
littlesteps is offline   Reply With Quote