Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-21-2014, 11:31 AM   #1
Emberly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Beginning of homeschool journey

I have a 4 year old and a 1 year old. Before I even became pregnant I knew I wanted to homeschool my children for a variety of reasons. Now that the time is getting closer for my oldest to start school I'm becoming more and more nervous that I will fail.

I would like to start this fall with some preschool curriculum to kind of ease myself into homeschooling before her kindergarten year starts. I would also like to use faith based curriculum. The only one I really even kind of know of is Alpha Omega. I would ideally only do it about 2-3 days a week, so she isn't too overworked and I'm not too stressed out. Then next year we can up it to more days when I'm feeling more confident and she understands school time a little more.

What do you all think? Has anyone done anything similar? Can anyone give me advice or encouragement? I'm both nervous and excited. This is so important to me, and I don't want to fail or rob my children of a great education.

Advertisement

Emberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:15 AM   #2
7mom7
Registered Users

Re: Beginning of homeschool journey

We started "school" very young, around age 2. It was pretty informal and more like play time with a school theme. I think your 4 year old is plenty old enough to start working on things. I have a 4 year old myself. He does handwriting, basic math like counting/sorting/addition & subtraction with blocks/writing numbers, and we are doing Hooked on Phonics with him. I wouldn't be nervous at all...just make it a natural part of your day. I actually have found with myself and my friends that the earlier you start the better. The kids don't know any difference and are more compliant and willing to do the work. My kids have never complained about their school work, they always look forward to it.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:47 PM   #3
3rugrats
Registered Users
seller

I used this for my kids when they were in preschool: http://www.abcjesuslovesme.com/curri...ear-curriculum

It was just what I needed to bring some structure in to the day, give them what they needed and it is free! I love this curriculum. We also read the books off the sonlight P 3/4 list, before 5 in a row list, and other great books lists. At that age, I think most of what we did was reading books aloud. (and we still do) My kids are 6 and 5 now.

I also used starfall.com (which is a wonderful free website my kids love) and progressive phonics for teaching letter sounds. After that we moved onto Bob books. If you have netflix, the leapfrog letter factory videos are on there, or at most libraries.

There are many things out there you can buy, but if you are especially trying to look for free, it is very easy to do for preschool.

When your DC is ready for handwriting, we used handwriting w/out tears. that is very popular w/ my kids and explode the code primer and regular explode the code for phonics as well (very cheap workbook practice)

good luck! you can do it!

ETA: booklist site: http://www.classical-homeschooling.o...0-primary.html

Last edited by 3rugrats; 07-23-2014 at 01:50 PM.
3rugrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:29 PM   #4
Emberly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks so much to both of you who replied. We've always read books together and we do a lot of learning activities, but never in any kind of structured setting. She got a school set for Christmas from my mom and loves to play school. I just have a hard time encouraging her to do a specific thing. She likes talking about letter sounds and practicing writing letters, but I can't persuade her to write her name at all, even though she can write and recognize all the letters in it. Or with art, she will never do a directed art project, she just takes the supplies and does what she wants, lol. I'll definitely look into all that curriculum.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:46 PM   #5
Shawkins930
Registered Users

I've been using this:

http://allinonehomeschool.com

It's free and super easy. I'm really new to this homeschooling thing but I got the site from my SIL who's been HSing for 6 or 7 years. She used it for a year with all of her kids ages 4-10. My sons is 3.

The lesson takes about 20 min each time. I like it because I can supplement if I want based on how he is feeling. Also, he's little so I don't feel a lot of pressure to move to fast.

I like the loose structure and he likes the one on one time. He has learned a lot so far! Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using diaperswappers.com
Shawkins930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:39 AM   #6
3rugrats
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emberly View Post
Thanks so much to both of you who replied. We've always read books together and we do a lot of learning activities, but never in any kind of structured setting. She got a school set for Christmas from my mom and loves to play school. I just have a hard time encouraging her to do a specific thing. She likes talking about letter sounds and practicing writing letters, but I can't persuade her to write her name at all, even though she can write and recognize all the letters in it. Or with art, she will never do a directed art project, she just takes the supplies and does what she wants, lol. I'll definitely look into all that curriculum.
she sounds just like my first! honestly, being a SAHM, the structured lessons were more for me to keep a sense of "control" over my somewhat loosey goosey days, lol, but often the great lessons I had planned (specifically the crafty ones) often were either ignored or she would do something completely different. The cool thing was when I let go, I would realize that she did something really neat afterall and she'd be really good at gobbling up the things she was interested in. (like reading). At that age, I just like to offer lots of things, mostly what I see they're interested in, and just let them focus on those things w/o really rigid expectations.

I just thought of another free online site--"easy peasy" though I can't remember if she has Preschool or not.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:41 PM   #7
Emberly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a free spirited daughter, lol. She really loves to learn, read, count, talk about letter sounds, learn new sign language words, and that kind of stuff, but hates being directed in it. She also really likes playing on abcmouse.com, but will not do the actual learning path, lol. I guess really we've did "school" for a long time, I just haven't really looked at it as school. I'm going to go through those websites and try to make a lesson plan and see how things go. I'm feeling slightly more confident now. Do you all do actual structured learning time everyday?
Old 07-24-2014, 05:55 PM   #8
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For my 11 yo daughter, who is much the same way, I found that that what worked was for me to make a list that included a few things she wanted and the things that I wanted. She could put them in order any way she wanted, but she needed to complete them by x time. She had control in how she did things and I got what I needed done as well.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:12 PM   #9
3rugrats
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2queens&1princenmyhouse View Post
For my 11 yo daughter, who is much the same way, I found that that what worked was for me to make a list that included a few things she wanted and the things that I wanted. She could put them in order any way she wanted, but she needed to complete them by x time. She had control in how she did things and I got what I needed done as well.
that is such a great idea, thanks for sharing.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:17 PM   #10
3rugrats
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emberly View Post
Do you all do actual structured learning time everyday?
Yes, our days our too long w/o it. It's gotten more structured as they've grown, but since my 1st was about 2 or 3 we did something most days....in the younger years mostly lots and lots of reading books aloud.