Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-27-2014, 09:31 PM   #11
TypeAMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Di**ae
seller

My Mood:
My DD is 4 and we are going to do pre-k this fall. I got read aloud titles (which I've been getting from the library or Librivox for free) from AmblesideOnline's Year 0 book list. Also, I downloaded Wee Folk Art's seasonal curriculum (also free). It has booklists, a schedule, theme related crafts and I'm going to add in a few small field trips (like to a farm, apiary, sugar shack, etc). Other than that, we're going to focus on Nature Study (in our backyard/woods and nearby trails with pond), handwriting ($9.50 HWOT K workbook bc my kid likes workbooks), Phonics, Spanish (mostly Salsa which is free, Whistlefritz which is from the library, and Little Pim which is free with Amazon Prime, and using the vocab she learned in the video throughout our days), Fine Motor, Habit Training, and Math (RightStart Level A). I'm planning on spending 2 years on the math b/c don't think it's necessary at this age, I just want to introduce the RightStart way of seeing things in fives. Actually, most of this stuff isn't necessary, it's just what I think will work best for us. Most everything seems educational for this age incl. puzzles, patterning or counting with foam shapes, water play, nature walks, cooking, a drawer or box with things found outside that can be informally studied later, beading, drawing, board games, dancing, follow the leader, playing outside, painting, singing traditional kid songs, making up stories together, using scissors, using a tricycle, running, walking on a jump rope, etc, etc, etc. If it helps you to remember to do this stuff, you can create a simple schedule of activities for the year in Excel, paper calendar or an app like Homeschool Helper. One more thing, I set up our plastic kiddie table with a bin for different types of paper and a desktop sorter with crayons, colored pencils, stickers, glue stick and items like pom poms, foam shapes, paper shapes, googly eyes, feathers, wood shapes, etc. and DD's creations are way cooler than any cookie cutter craft and her drawing skills have really improved over the past couple months. Sorry I can't stop typing. Lastly, read Jim Trelease's Read Aloud Handbook. Reading aloud is the most educationally important thing you can do at this point.

ETA: This is the post that never ends. Yes it goes on and on my friends...
Jolanthe of Homeschool Creations has an awesome picture schedule that my DD and I like. It includes chores, hygiene, educational and fun things to do.

Advertisement

Slave to my

Last edited by TypeAMom; 07-27-2014 at 09:35 PM.
TypeAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:08 PM   #12
Emberly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Beginning of homeschool journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rugrats View Post
Yes, our days our too long w/o it. It's gotten more structured as they've grown, but since my 1st was about 2 or 3 we did something most days....in the younger years mostly lots and lots of reading books aloud.
Okay, thanks. I think what I need to work on is seeing things we already do as school. We have read aloud daily since she was a teeny tiny. She likes to count and all that jazz. I've just never really looked at it as doing "school" for some reason. Our days would be long too without our songs, drawing, counting, letter practice, reading, telling stories, and all the things we do together, too. I'm feeling a lot less intimidated now.
Emberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:21 PM   #13
Emberly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeAMom View Post
My DD is 4 and we are going to do pre-k this fall. I got read aloud titles (which I've been getting from the library or Librivox for free) from AmblesideOnline's Year 0 book list. Also, I downloaded Wee Folk Art's seasonal curriculum (also free). It has booklists, a schedule, theme related crafts and I'm going to add in a few small field trips (like to a farm, apiary, sugar shack, etc). Other than that, we're going to focus on Nature Study (in our backyard/woods and nearby trails with pond), handwriting ($9.50 HWOT K workbook bc my kid likes workbooks), Phonics, Spanish (mostly Salsa which is free, Whistlefritz which is from the library, and Little Pim which is free with Amazon Prime, and using the vocab she learned in the video throughout our days), Fine Motor, Habit Training, and Math (RightStart Level A). I'm planning on spending 2 years on the math b/c don't think it's necessary at this age, I just want to introduce the RightStart way of seeing things in fives. Actually, most of this stuff isn't necessary, it's just what I think will work best for us. Most everything seems educational for this age incl. puzzles, patterning or counting with foam shapes, water play, nature walks, cooking, a drawer or box with things found outside that can be informally studied later, beading, drawing, board games, dancing, follow the leader, playing outside, painting, singing traditional kid songs, making up stories together, using scissors, using a tricycle, running, walking on a jump rope, etc, etc, etc. If it helps you to remember to do this stuff, you can create a simple schedule of activities for the year in Excel, paper calendar or an app like Homeschool Helper. One more thing, I set up our plastic kiddie table with a bin for different types of paper and a desktop sorter with crayons, colored pencils, stickers, glue stick and items like pom poms, foam shapes, paper shapes, googly eyes, feathers, wood shapes, etc. and DD's creations are way cooler than any cookie cutter craft and her drawing skills have really improved over the past couple months. Sorry I can't stop typing. Lastly, read Jim Trelease's Read Aloud Handbook. Reading aloud is the most educationally important thing you can do at this point.

ETA: This is the post that never ends. Yes it goes on and on my friends...
Jolanthe of Homeschool Creations has an awesome picture schedule that my DD and I like. It includes chores, hygiene, educational and fun things to do.
Thanks for all that! I'll definitely have to look into all of those resources. I would feel much better creating a schedule just so I could be more prepared for our day. We really don't work on much of a schedule at all these days, but I'd like to at least have an idea about what I'd like to introduce her to every week. I think leaving craft supplies out is a good idea, but there is no way my 1 year old would allow them to stay on the table, lol. She loves crafting, too, and I get too overwhelmed if I don't try to contain the mess a little. While my 4 year old is creating, my 1 year old is dumping out every box exploring. Which, I know is cool for her, and I do allow occasionally, because I'm crazy, lol. Anyways...We've always read aloud A LOT. I mean a lot. We have a really wide book selection, but we read so much that my DD knows most of the stories. Do you think this is bad, or is the repetition okay? I plan on getting her a library card soon either way, though. When we read aloud, she'll let me read her one or two, then she'll take over to "read." She then makes up her own story to go with the pictures. She used to just repeat what she knew of the story, but now she's getting creative with it, lol. I love it. All the stuff you listed is pretty much stuff we already do to pass our days. She went through a stage where she loved to cook, now she isn't as crazy about it. She doesn't ride a tricycle, yet, though. I know she should, but we have a really bumpy walkway and she just doesn't really want to learn. I'm hoping I can get her to do it by the end of summer. I was about 9 before I learned to ride a bike, though. I never wanted to learn to ride either.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:50 PM   #14
TypeAMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Di**ae
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emberly
I think leaving craft supplies out is a good idea, but there is no way my 1 year old would allow them to stay on the table, lol. Anyways...We've always read aloud A LOT. I mean a lot. We have a really wide book selection, but we read so much that my DD knows most of the stories. Do you think this is bad, or is the repetition okay? She used to just repeat what she knew of the story, but now she's getting creative with it, lol. I love it. All the stuff you listed is pretty much stuff we already do to pass our days.
Could you put together a bin of craft supplies so they can all come out when the 1 year old naps and cleanup will be quicker? I think it's awesome that your daughter's getting creative with the story retelling. Also, repeated book reading is really good. How's your local library? We've been going weekly, but even going once a month would provide more new reads if you're getting tired of the repetition.

See, you're already doing what you need to do. Pre-K is easy. I googled a couple of developmental checklists that were helpful, too. My daughter knew most of the stuff, but there were a couple things that I didn't even think to introduce yet. Here's a link to the WeeFolkArt Fall plan: http://weefolkart.com/sites/default/...ool-kinder.PDF We're definitely not doing everything they list, but it's a good place to start.
Slave to my
TypeAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:44 AM   #15
Emberly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeAMom View Post
Could you put together a bin of craft supplies so they can all come out when the 1 year old naps and cleanup will be quicker? I think it's awesome that your daughter's getting creative with the story retelling. Also, repeated book reading is really good. How's your local library? We've been going weekly, but even going once a month would provide more new reads if you're getting tired of the repetition.

See, you're already doing what you need to do. Pre-K is easy. I googled a couple of developmental checklists that were helpful, too. My daughter knew most of the stuff, but there were a couple things that I didn't even think to introduce yet. Here's a link to the WeeFolkArt Fall plan: http://weefolkart.com/sites/default/...ool-kinder.PDF We're definitely not doing everything they list, but it's a good place to start.
All of our craft stuff is in one big tote, so they can kind of get it out whenever already. I'm planning on getting baskets for our peg board and displaying it all there as soon as possible. I normally wait for my littlest one to wake up to really do crafts, because she enjoys them so much. I think she may even like them more than her big sister.

I actually don't drive so I haven't got to check our library out recently. I'm making it my goal to get my license soon, so I can take the girls on homeschool field trips and stuff. Right now they are a part of the Imagination Library where a new book comes in the mail every month. I also don't care to buy them new books when we are out and they ask for one.

I'm excited to look at the check list. I'm getting more excited about this homeschooling thing by the day.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:13 AM   #16
AFWIFE87
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Good luck mama! I have a four year old boy, and we're starting Five In A Row with him. He loves being read to, so that's where I found our best bet. FIAR can be expensive but we're starting with buying the cheap books, and renting the more expensive ones. Of course buying the manual, gotta have that.

Then we'll do crafts and things like tracing with fingers to help with motor skills. I also love sensor boxes, but have only made a few.
personally would save your curriculum for kindly, or first grade.
Wife, Believer, Friend & Mama to: Henry & Sullivan & expecting boy #3 in August!
AFWIFE87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:41 PM   #17
SillyEllie
Registered Users
Formerly: ardygurly
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't stress too much. Your kids are so young! I thought I would do pr-k and k but as my daughter was at that point I realized she knows so much and learns so much just by playing and me reading to her and our little field trips. My 2 oldest are going into 1st & pre-k this year and this year will be my oldest first go at us really doing "school". We are using Five in a Row which my 1st and pre-k can do together which I really like. I'll be doing math w/ my 1st grader in addition to FIAR but w/ pre-k I don't feel like she needs that. I would suggest Before Five in a Row. It's a very gentle approach to something somewhat structured. You read a story then there are activities to go along. Short enough for that age range (2-4). They sell Christan supplements to go with it. I'm not a fan of heavy work for pre-k or k unless your child wants it. Good luck!
Old 08-08-2014, 06:44 PM   #18
SillyEllie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

and as far as price for FIAR, I bought volumes 1-3 on here for $40ppd and all the suggested books I'm getting at the library. Compared to other curricula that is like $300+ for 1 grade, I don't think that's expensive Just depends if you want to buy all the books or not
Old 08-08-2014, 07:01 PM   #19
SillyEllie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

sorry to keep commenting. I just read all the comments lol. Your daughter sounds alot like my kids I would prevent trying to sit down with her and tell her you guys are going to do school. Even though she likes playing school, I know with my kids they like shut down and don't want to do it just because it's not their idea. I would just naturally flow into it and just say "hey, wanna do something fun?" or something like that. Also, go on Pintrest! There are tons of cute ideas on Before Five in a Row and ways to make it special. I came across this website on there. I love how if you scroll down to the end she does like a message board with different books and items that go with the book for that week. I plan on doing this. I think it will excite the kids for the week http://dailythoughtsonmytots.blogspo...ow-is-fun.html
Old 08-09-2014, 06:58 AM   #20
AFWIFE87
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyEllie View Post
and as far as price for FIAR, I bought volumes 1-3 on here for $40ppd and all the suggested books I'm getting at the library. Compared to other curricula that is like $300+ for 1 grade, I don't think that's expensive Just depends if you want to buy all the books or not
I never thought about buying on here! Good idea. I've searched obvious places like Rainbow Resource and Christian bookstores. And amazon. I haven't checked homeschool share.org hmm should do that lol
Wife, Believer, Friend & Mama to: Henry & Sullivan & expecting boy #3 in August!
AFWIFE87 is offline   Reply With Quote