Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-25-2014, 10:32 AM   #11
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: About ready to give up

Quote:
Originally Posted by erlyjo View Post
11 year old is the worst. Have tried everything. We deschooled when we pulled her out in second grade for a year. She does not want to get back into anything.
I can relate.. I too have an 11 year old whom weve been HS since second grade. She acts like everything is either torture or like I'm boring her to death... We are also a Catholic HS family...
Ive decided it is the age and I need to let go of me thinking she should show enjoyment. Not saying I still wouldn't like that and yea when it actually happens but honestly right now it isn't my main focus.
However saying that I do absolutely address the attitude taking time out to focus on our faith really does help. Also our days have become much more structured academically that might seem counter productive but it has helped a lot.

Advertisement

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:49 AM   #12
vintagegyrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you looked at the Charlotte Mason method? It's a little overwhelming at first but the general theme is habits, starting slow and building over time. Lots of positive encouragement.

Yes , sometimes you have to make them work at first. Slow and steady. Slowly increase the amount of work. Reward with free time or a movie or special snack if they get a planned portion done that day. Stay positive. I have to remind myself this every day!!!
Old 08-12-2014, 06:54 PM   #13
SillyEllie
Registered Users
Formerly: ardygurly
seller

My Mood:

love all the positive suggestions. Just wanted to ::hug::
Old 08-14-2014, 06:27 PM   #14
viettasgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Such a wonderful, supportive thread. Mama, I have very little advice as I am just now starting to homeschool my elementary aged ds and dd, after three (unhappy) years of public school. I would say that it sounds like if you have a spouse and are not already doing so, doubling up to do math would not be a bad idea. Say when dad gets home in the evening, there is a lesson on top of the one you did earlier. Sometimes I do need my dh to reinforce what I am saying and for the children to know that we are all on the same team, trying to get to the same goal. Also, he often comes home all ready to see them and play and have fun, when I am totally drained and can't do any more, so that might be just what they need to attack that math.

Last edited by viettasgirl; 08-14-2014 at 06:29 PM.
viettasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:37 AM   #15
erlyjo
User requested temporary ban
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by viettasgirl
Such a wonderful, supportive thread. Mama, I have very little advice as I am just now starting to homeschool my elementary aged ds and dd, after three (unhappy) years of public school. I would say that it sounds like if you have a spouse and are not already doing so, doubling up to do math would not be a bad idea. Say when dad gets home in the evening, there is a lesson on top of the one you did earlier. Sometimes I do need my dh to reinforce what I am saying and for the children to know that we are all on the same team, trying to get to the same goal. Also, he often comes home all ready to see them and play and have fun, when I am totally drained and can't do any more, so that might be just what they need to attack that math.
Yes, this thread has definitely encouraged me. I think I found the strength to keep going.

I wish he could, but he just stated his own business and works very long hours and many Saturdays.

However, after talking with some homeschooling moms locally, I found something called Kahn academy for math. It's internet video lessons with short practice exercises. I'm going to give it a try this year.

Last edited by erlyjo; 08-15-2014 at 08:42 AM.
erlyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:53 AM   #16
Hitchkids
Registered Users

Another thing I have found to help (that I slacked off on over the past few years) is to remember to focus on the liturgical feasts during the year. Take the time to do something fun and special for them even if it is just pulling out a coloring sheet and a fun dessert or taking the time to say a decade of the rosary. Today is the Feast of the Assumption. There are lots of coloring sheets, you could do crafts from CatholicIcing, a Marian Triptych craft, check out Catholic Cuisine for some snack ideas (blue jello and whipped cream to represent Mary being assumed into Heaven). Take the time every so often to do something a little extra and fun and give the kids a shorter day of school or the day off in general because the Liturgical Feasts should be celebrated as important days.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:30 PM   #17
erlyjo
User requested temporary ban
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchkids
Another thing I have found to help (that I slacked off on over the past few years) is to remember to focus on the liturgical feasts during the year. Take the time to do something fun and special for them even if it is just pulling out a coloring sheet and a fun dessert or taking the time to say a decade of the rosary. Today is the Feast of the Assumption. There are lots of coloring sheets, you could do crafts from CatholicIcing, a Marian Triptych craft, check out Catholic Cuisine for some snack ideas (blue jello and whipped cream to represent Mary being assumed into Heaven). Take the time every so often to do something a little extra and fun and give the kids a shorter day of school or the day off in general because the Liturgical Feasts should be celebrated as important days.
I never thought to do anything like this. Even though I'm a cradle Catholic, we never did anything other than go to Mass in Holy Days. Probably too late for today, but I'll catch the next one!
Old 08-19-2014, 07:55 PM   #18
ariba
Registered Users
seller

Hang in there momma! You're doing what you think is best for them!
ariba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:51 AM   #19
vintagegyrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Can you do some days school just in the morings then go get take-out & bring it to Dad for lunch? Or go pick him up & all have lunch together? Might be simething to motivate & keep morale up!
Old 08-25-2014, 09:35 AM   #20
MyGlorylife
Registered Users
Formerly: WrapHappy
seller
seller

My Mood:
Try queenhomeschool. It's Charlotte mason style and very gentle. Kids barely realize they are doing school!!!