Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-23-2014, 10:38 AM   #1
nannorie85
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yeast. Help! I am so done

I have been battling problem after problem for the last month with my cloth diapers and now I think my DD has a yeast rash. It is only getting worse no matter what I do. Please give me ideas of how to treat it and what can I do to get it out of my diapers. I am so ready to quit but I feel stuck because I don't want to do sposies. Thanks mamas

Advertisement

Old 07-23-2014, 11:13 AM   #2
robinmath
Registered Users
seller

Re: Yeast. Help! I am so done

Not sure what you've tried. Here's what I did when in a similar situation w my DD a few months ago:

Treat diapers w bleach, tea tree oil and grapefruit seed extract. Used disposables for a bit (esp when using rx cream), but they irritate DD as well, so continually treated cloth diapers for a while.

Got rx nystatin from doc; used for abt a week

Changed up our diapers--had been using BG 4.0 w microfiber during day, fitteds at night. Changed to stuffing pockets w flats/prefolds, using mostly hemp flats/doublers at night (still occasional fitted) --> feel like the diapers are easier to wash, esp flats bc single layer.

Hyper vigilant about frequent diaper changes during the day; use stay-dry fleece liner when not using pocket. We also use coconut oil on her bum quite a bit.

Good luck! Battling diaper rash REALLY sucks. But we came out the other side; there IS a diaper set up that'll work for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robinmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:09 PM   #3
epanouie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You actually don't have to stop using cloth during yeast infections; you just need to make sure you are
1) using all cotton and either
2) no cover or well-lanolized wool,
3) avoid synthetics totally, and
4) use very hot water when washing (130 F or over) and
5) dry with the sun's rays and/or high setting on dryer.

You can add bleach to the wash also if you don't feel confident in the hot water/good detergent/UV rays from the sun method alone. Using disposables will actually not be helpful for the healing of the rash itself, though I understand why this has been perpetuated in CD circles since treatment requires diligence and a disposable option is actually an option to most. I continued to use cloth (my older dd would get a different and also painful rash from PUL or disposables) but found cheap "flats" (100% cotton flour sack towels from Walmart) were great for the yeast treatment time. I just figured they'd be easier to deal with than our ME fitteds incase the cream stuck, and they are so thin they wash and dry on hot and high in a snap. (Or, on the line in the sun, as I did.)

And yes, it did go away, no we didn't get it back, and yes, I'm sure it was yeast as I've had five kids and know what it looks like (not to mention the doctors diagnosis!). We treated with probiotics, nystatin cream given by the doctor, and some diaper free time when possible (not too often, since I have a houseful of littles and mostly carpet, LOL ).

As a side note, whenever I'm treating my kids (only two of five have had it, one of which has a slightly compromised immune system), I always think how I'd want to deal with it myself...which is why I never put them in disposables (women who get yeast infections are told to either not wear underwear or only cotton). That and I try to treat using nutrition, water, rest, and probiotics. It helps us all feel better overall even when we have to use pharmaceuticals as well.

As I recall, you use Mother-ease products, too, right? I hope you can get your dd back in them soon. Hugs!

Last edited by epanouie; 07-23-2014 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Clarity
epanouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:00 PM   #4
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you check my sig I have links to old yeast postings...

For the diapers really just bleach is all I think you need, I started using it with DD who has chronic yeast because the other options were getting to hard on the diapers. I use to use Super hot water (sanitary cycle), and a TBL of GSE in the rinse cycle, a few drops of anything won't do a thing.

For the bum, Generic Monistat7 works well for us. When its bad I combine that with hydrocortizone cream and that works well. Air time / coverless time / fleece/wool covers are great to help with yeast.

Probiotics can help most kids. Yeast rash is cause by getting a standard diaper rash that gets infected by excess yeast in our bodies. So solving the inbalance is key. "fixing" DD system wasn't enough for us, she gets mild yeast rashes which I assume at this point (dr suggestion) that she has normal yeasts levels it just infects her diaper rashes anyway, so fixing getting the initial diaper rash is key for us.

Also note that diaper rash creams whos goal is to keep moisture in, is not what you need to fight yeast, you need to dry it out. So, in general, stay away from anything that is locking the moisture in.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:33 PM   #5
nannorie85
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thank you mamas. It gets worse when she is wet I think. It's up on top and on her thighs were the elastic hits, it's not in the creases. I changed her from a disposable into flats and wool for the night. I feel like all of my stay dry liners are infected so I didn't put one on her. Hoping I don't regret that in the morning but I am wishing I had something stay dry on her. Poor baby. Going to try coconut oil, GSE and TTO in the AM. And we'll stick to flats and bleaching and sunning every load.

To the mama who suggested the all cotton, did being wet over night not make things worse for you?

I am taking probiotics but my DD is only 4 months so I haven't given her anything directly. Should I start though? Thank you for the links to other threads! We are spending a lot of time naked! Maybe this will drive me to EC. haha
Old 07-23-2014, 07:38 PM   #6
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Lotromin and nystatin and lamasil have helped plus we eat lots of yogurts.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:09 PM   #7
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannorie85 View Post
Thank you mamas. It gets worse when she is wet I think. It's up on top and on her thighs were the elastic hits, it's not in the creases. I changed her from a disposable into flats and wool for the night. I feel like all of my stay dry liners are infected so I didn't put one on her. Hoping I don't regret that in the morning but I am wishing I had something stay dry on her. Poor baby. Going to try coconut oil, GSE and TTO in the AM. And we'll stick to flats and bleaching and sunning every load.

To the mama who suggested the all cotton, did being wet over night not make things worse for you?

I am taking probiotics but my DD is only 4 months so I haven't given her anything directly. Should I start though? Thank you for the links to other threads! We are spending a lot of time naked! Maybe this will drive me to EC. haha
I started giving DD probiotics in a little expressed BM around 4m (some people also sprinkle it on their nipples) - we did a powder made of real food. It also helped DD with pooping though, her system all around needed it. They also make liquid ones but they are usually not "real food"
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 07-23-2014 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:04 PM   #8
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannorie85 View Post

If it is not in the creases are you sure it is yeast? It might be chafing or other irritation from the diaper elastic/whatever material is touching the skin there, or maybe even a sort of heat rash (depending on your weather/humidity).

I know that all 3 of mine had some crazy sensitive skin at that age, though, it seemed like they always had some sort of redness going on, no matter what I did (different diapers/laundry detergent/you name it I tried it). And I did show various red bottoms to the doctor and it never was yeast. They toughened up a little around 6 months, and toughened up a lot around a year. Not to say you ignore it, but if it's not raw or bleeding it might just be kind of a newbie skin thing.

FWIW though, flats/prefolds were great b/c I felt confident that I could wash out any type of cream or ointment (except Desitin, too scared of the fishy smell).
and M
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:55 AM   #9
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree that I wouldn't think yeast would just happen where the elastic hits. When DD gets yeast is all over her thighs and her lower bum cheeks.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:59 AM   #10
greysmama
Registered Users
seller

If it's chafing I'd say use powder but we use a cornstarch powder and if it is yeast it will flare up like crazy! It's a way to find out for sure but I don't rec doing it just to find out as I'd feel horrible for your little's bum

Sent from my iPhone using diaperswappers.com
greysmama is offline   Reply With Quote