Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-28-2014, 08:20 AM   #1
KLETCO
Registered Users

Nighttime Diapers - Hubby wants to switch to disposables

DS is 14 months old. We hadn't had any nighttime issues until just recently (it's been about 2 months now). We are currently using a GMD prefold with a GMD stay-dry night doubler inside. We're using the Grovia covers although I also have a wool cover that I haven't used in a while (Disana).

So, for the last 2 months or so, he's been waking up if he's wet. We have to change the diaper to get him back to sleep. Previously, we only had to do a diaper change if he leaked, but now he needs one even if he's wet. It's awful and I am tired of doing diaper changes in the middle of the night.

My husband really wants us to switch to disposables at night. I don't want to. Any thoughts?

In my arsenal, I have BG Freetimes (which are his daytime diaper), and a small amount of BG 4.0s that we never use. I have had trouble with leaks in the past trying to use pockets at night, but I can try again if it's a good idea. Just not sure what to stuff with for night. The Freetimes occasionally leak during longer naps, so I'd hesitate to try them at night.

Thank you!
Kim

Advertisement

KLETCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:25 AM   #2
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Nighttime Diapers - Hubby wants to switch to disposables

We use 4.0 at night. When my son at about that age we were using 4.0 with the OF MF insert and a med joey bunz hemp insert behind. DD is younger but we are using a med prefold with the med joey bunz hemp and it's not always saturated.

Stay dry only works if there is enough absorbancy. If the absorbancy is maxed out baby will feel wet. So can you up the size prefold? What else do you have for absorbancy? you could try wool. in theory the diaper would be able to start drying out while you LO sleeps but...

Have you introduced the potty at all? If you LO doesn't like to be wet maybe it's time....
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:27 AM   #3
mommyegon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A bamboo or zorb fitted under your lanolized Disana wool cover should work! You can add doublers as necessary ...! My 7 mo DD uses this setup at night with no doublers and goes 13+ hours with no leaking.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1573142...er-with-yellow

Or try the sbish multi fitteds. They are awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using diaperswappers.com
mommyegon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:28 AM   #4
mommyegon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Nighttime Diapers - Hubby wants to switch to disposables

Also... A gmd stay dry fleece liner will keep wetness away from baby's skin.

Use your gmd stay dry doubler in the fitted and you should be golden!

The fitteds are great because the whole diaper is absorbent. And the wool cover will pick up the over flow. Seriously bullet proof!

Sent from my iPhone using diaperswappers.com

Last edited by mommyegon; 07-28-2014 at 08:31 AM.
mommyegon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:38 AM   #5
KLETCO
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post

Have you introduced the potty at all? If you LO doesn't like to be wet maybe it's time....
There are definite signs that he is moving towards the potty (OMG, that would be amazing!), but I don't think he's ready yet. He is obviously holding it overnight when he can, though. Sometimes he is dry in the morning.
KLETCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:15 PM   #6
mykidsaremyheart
Registered Users
seller

Sweet iris bamboo flat pad folded, if you don't want to fold a flat. Holds a ton of pee. And even when wet, it doesn't have the same wet feeling as cotton. It's not bulky either. I love them!
Old 07-29-2014, 08:28 PM   #7
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLETCO View Post
There are definite signs that he is moving towards the potty (OMG, that would be amazing!), but I don't think he's ready yet. He is obviously holding it overnight when he can, though. Sometimes he is dry in the morning.
If doesn't have to be underwear and full throttle. Checkout information on Elimination Communication. Just offer him a potty to sit on in the morning / before bed / some easy time(s) during the day and see where it goes.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:23 AM   #8
DreamInGreen
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLETCO View Post
Good luck!
Old 07-30-2014, 08:14 AM   #9
arfog
Registered Users

I have heard pooters hemp fitteds are basically bullet proof, but LO is only 13 weeks old so I haven't tried them yet. Maybe that, under wool, with a staydry liner?
arfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:05 AM   #10
hkhibiscus
Registered Users

We made 'potty time' part of out bedtime routine around 12months.. this helped us dramatically for overnight and it made her interested in potty training..

Sent from my SPH-L710 using diaperswappers.com mobile app
hkhibiscus is offline   Reply With Quote