Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-28-2014, 10:00 AM   #1
MileeG
Registered Users
seller

sonlight expereince

I am looking into Core A for my kindergarten age dd for fall. Have you used it? What did you like? not like? Do I need a separate language arts curriculum?

Advertisement

MileeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:56 PM   #2
3rugrats
Registered Users
seller

Re: sonlight expereince

I would recommend P4/5 instead of Core A for K if you haven't already used it. Sonlight runs about a grade above (or more). I have used P 3/4 P 4/5 and am using core A now w/ my 5 and 6yo (rising K and 1st grader). Some of the titles in A are even too advanced for my 1st grader (who's almost 7) and I'm putting them aside. If you have a really advanced 5yo, then A can work, it's just that P 4/5 is a better fit IMO. My plan is to stretch core a and b over 3 years to let my younger mature more so he is more on the middle age range, which is what I've heard is better, if not to be on the high end of their recommended ages for each core.

You can checkout the sonlight forums and read what others have said, or ask for yourself. There are some great ladies on there.

https://forums.sonlight.com/forum/16...ht-curriculum/

ETA: I'm sorry I didn't even answer your actual question! Hopefully, my other comment will be of some help too.

I do love A a lot--and all the others we've used. I just think they tend to be a bit more advanced and sometimes the content can be too mature(I've heard this really comes into play in core D, one main reason I am slowing down on the earlier ones) but I love the book choices and the schedule is very organized and helpful. You just open and go each day. I love Usborne books and they use a lot of those. One consideration w/ Sonlight though is they use secular books for subjects like science and history which can present contradictions w/ what they Bible says about somethings. If you read more about why they do this and agree w/ their philosophy, then you probably won't have a problem w/ it.

I do not use the LA. I've heard that it can be more writing than a child may be ready for at the younger ages, but that it levels out later. You could ask more about this on the forums though. It probably depends a lot on where your child is at w/ reading and writing since there is such a big range at that age. It may not be an issue for you. We do you ETC though, which they recommend, and that is a big hit here as well as HWT.

Last edited by 3rugrats; 07-28-2014 at 03:05 PM.
3rugrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:48 PM   #3
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

We didn't use that one, so take that into consideration with my reply. We did use Sonlight for 1st grade one year. For us, it ended up being too much reading and not enough hands-on, but that is simply because I didn't have a good understanding of my daughter's learning style. If I had realized she was a kinesthetic learner, I wouldn't have chosen Sonlight anyway. But, be aware that it really is a lot of reading.

My only real complaint about the curriculum itself is that they teacher's guide teaches creation and the books for science teach evolution. To me, they should be teaching one or the other. My daughter found it very confusing that the two didn't meet up.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:50 AM   #4
MileeG
Registered Users
seller

Thanks Mamas that is really helpful info! We loosely did p4/5 this year and COHS K 4/5. My girls were list interested in Language Arts so I might refocus on that and wait a bit to start Core A. I do have HWOT and will be working with in the fall.
MileeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:14 PM   #5
AVeryHappyMama
Registered Users

I have used Cores 3/4 (now PreS) and 4/5 (now PreK) and had planned on doing core A (now K) this fall. However, after checking out each book from our library this fall we decided our 5 year old isn't ready for an entire long chapter book on what it's like to be bullied (The Hundred Dresses or a chapter book in which a 5 year old character is kept in the dark from the very information you as the parent are reading to your 5 year old (20 And 10, which is a story of school children risking lives hiding Jewish children from Nazis). So no Sonlight for us this year. I just didn't want to replace two entire chapter books.

Teneo: Our Daily Homeschool Journey
AVeryHappyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:51 AM   #6
teettrav
Registered Users
seller

We are using Sonlight for first grade. I second that it is a lot of reading! We love to read, so it is working, but I am trying to figure out how it will work next year while I do Kindergarten with my daughter.
teettrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:11 PM   #7
schlis85
Registered Users
seller

We use Sonlight and just LOVE it! They have a full grade package, which is what we use.
schlis85 is offline   Reply With Quote