Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-28-2014, 10:31 AM   #1
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Talk to me about front loader vs top loader

I'm possibly going to be in the market for a new washing machine. I've had a top loader for years and it's been fine for us, but I've heard diaper laundry doesn't do very well in a front loader. Should I stick with a top loader? Or do any of you have a front loader that you're happy with and can share with me the make and model?

Advertisement

I'm also a Younique presenter. Click here for naturally-based beauty care!
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:48 AM   #2
Lizanne
Registered Users
seller

Re: Talk to me about front loader vs top loader

I have a front load Electrolux model Model #: EIFLS55IIW that I ADORE. Worth every penny! Regular quick wash in 17 minutes. Every day/every other day I process out 2 bushels of dirty diapers on sanitize cycle and they come out spanking clean.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:41 PM   #3
ah107
Registered Users

My Mood:

Outer old fashion top loader recently went out and we bought a whirlpool cabrio top loader. It is HE but I have heard that even when the machine is HE, the top loaders give u even more option to add water or customize your laundry routine better. With that said, I was worried about it not cleaning my diapers and I have to say that I am more than happy with it. All I have to do is put it on the deep water wash, and then add a presoak and an extra rinse and my diapers come out super clean, I haven't had any issues. I love it!
ah107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:09 PM   #4
neonalee
Registered Users
seller
seller

We have an LG front loader that has an internal heater, steam, & a sanitary setting. It's about 5 years old. I LOVE it. I can adjust pretty much everything. I use the sanitary setting with a longer wash cycle, a pre wash (no soap), an extra rinse & extra water. I did have to switch to tide but I think that is more because of hard water than the washer.

Sent from my phone using DS Forum
neonalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:17 PM   #5
mgreene361
Registered Users

I have limited experience w/ front loader--just used a few times at my parents for diapers. But it seemed to me that emptying the bag into the drum was grosser, like I was having to touch it all rather than just dumping in (gravity and all). I'd just ask the front loaders here how they transfer in cleanly--I am sure they have tips.
mgreene361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:23 PM   #6
DallasK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have an lg front loader that I love also. All of our clothes, diapers, and stinky Dh work clothes are cleaner than with out top loader. I use powder tide with great results. I just bought it last month and it was the nicest one they carried with the exception of the super large machines that wouldn't have fit in our laundry room. It also has a wool setting that has made washing out wool covers a breeze. The sanitary cycle came with instructions specifically for cloth diapers.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:03 AM   #7
Lizanne
Registered Users
seller

Regarding dumping the bag, I put the open end of the diaper bag in the washer and hold onto the rim of the open end with my left hand. I then push the bottom of the bag towards and through the open mouth of the bag with my right hand ( forces diapers out and turns bag inside out). I never touch dirty diapers and the bag is inside out for washing.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:19 AM   #8
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have an LG fler that I love...that particular model is discontinued, but it was a mid-range (sanitary cycle but no steam). I don't generally have any problems w/ not enough water, but I do run an occasional sanitary cycle & dealing w/ mineral-laden water this time around has led me to some occasional bleach. I also never had any problems emptying wetbags or pail liners into the washer, but I have a newfound love of Alva pail liners...make sure the drawstring end is open, flop it into washer. Kind of push diapers out of bag & into washer, then unzip the bottom & shove it into the washer w/ the dipes.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:27 AM   #9
D's Mutti
Registered Users

I have a front loader (10 year old Whirlpool Duet) that I love. It has no problem with getting our diapers clean and I don't fin myself having to touch the dirty diapers in order to get them in. I really only have one issue with it - sometimes I wish I could just open it up and add one or two more items easily at any point. For that reason alone, I will probably get a top loader whenever this one bites the dust which I hope is still many years in the future.
D's Mutti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:35 AM   #10
epanouie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love to hear that front loaders are getting better and better these days...I have not been impressed with the 3-4 I've used. Up until this point, anyway, I don't see clothing and diapers getting as clean as they should without more water. Believe me, I WANT them to, but even during handwashing I see how much water you need for real cleaning and rinsing. Maybe I need to check out the above models mentioned!
epanouie is offline   Reply With Quote