Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-29-2014, 03:53 AM   #1
MommyTephanie
Registered Users
seller

Worried about birth bc of HSV complications

Hi, I'm 31 weeks pregnant with my 3rd baby. I don't post here often but I do read a lot of the other forums- I've always had easy pregnancies and never a reason to worry! With this pregnancy, things were a little scary at first with a bleed early on at 9 wks, but have been fine since.

I did have a strange sore spot on my vulva a few months in and in having it tested the dr (not my OB but another Gyno) said it was nothing. When I went for my next appt, my OB suggested doing a blood test for Herpes bc the test the previous dr had done may be wrong bc it was too late? (The bump had started to be less painful and look better by the time I went in for the check).

The blood test showed that I had HSV and the dr informed me of the complications I could have at birth if I have an outbreak- thing is I only had that 1 sore and have not had anything since or ever before that?

It's been a few months since and I'm now starting to get nervous again as my due date approaches bc he said that if there are any signs of an outbreak, then I will have to have a c-section. I'm terrified of having a c-section as my other two have been natural un-medicated births and I do not like the idea of surgery at all!

Does anyone here have experience with this? I am sort of in dis-belief that I even have HSV simply bc one sore seems to not be enough to convince me and I'm wondering if the blood test could be showing it's in my system bc I get cold/canker sores in my mouth? From what I understand they (both oral and genital) are caused by HSV. Either way, it seems that this may greatly affect my chances at a natural birth and that scares me!

Thanks!
Steph

Sent from my iPhone using diaperswappers.com

Advertisement

MommyTephanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:55 AM   #2
Ginger6000
Registered Users
seller

Re: Worried about birth bc of HSV complications

Ask your doctor to start you on a daily dose of valtrex to suppress a possible outbreak close to birth. I think they usually start this about 1 month prior to when they think you will go into labor and it will greatly reduce the risk of any complications. Ask for a generic to get a cheaper prescription.
Lots of people have this problem and have normal deliveries.
Ginger6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:58 AM   #3
Ginger6000
Registered Users
seller

Best wishes dear
You may not have it, but it won't hurt to take the extra precaution.
Ginger6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:25 PM   #4
MommyTephanie
Registered Users
seller

Thank you, Ginger, for the suggestion and encouraging words! I didn't mention it earlier as I hadn't really given it much thought, but my dr did tell me that he would put me on preventative meds so that my chance of an "outbreak" is less for week 36 and on.

I had an appt today and asked him if there was anything else I could do to decrease my chances of an outbreak and therefore- hopefully!- decrease my chance of having to do a c-section too! He said to not sunbathe naked (and get a sunburn!) and not to shave the area bc both can increase the chance of an outbreak there. I certainly don't plan to sunburn my who-ha anytime soon so hopefully his tips will help!

Any other ladies have experience with this? I am so hoping for no complications!

Sent from my iPhone using diaperswappers.com
Old 07-29-2014, 03:38 PM   #5
Tamtrujillo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just my two cents...I've had three csections and will have another scheduled in oct. My first two were emergency csections, the third was scheduled. It's not that bad of a recovery at all. I felt fine by the second week and didn't need much more than Tylenol. Don't stress, as HSV can be triggered by stress. Best wishes!
Tamtrujillo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:51 AM   #6
MommyTephanie
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the encouragement. I think it is a lot of fear of the unknown as my other two births have been natural so I've never experienced this.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:01 PM   #7
li'l skeeter
Registered Users
seller

OP: I'm in your EXACT same position! I knew I had HSV2 so my doctor has had me take acyclovir (generic for valtrex) starting at ~33 weeks because my first was born unexpectedly early at 34 weeks! With my first, I didn't take any meds because we were going to start them at 36 weeks...I had a natural/med-free birth with no complications and didn't have an outbreak at the time of his birth. However, I'm FREAKING out now because although I've been taking the acyclovir as a precaution this pregnancy, I just noticed a blister yesterday and I'm at 34 weeks again! It's been ~100 degrees for the past few days so I'm sure that's triggering optimal conditions for an outbreak. I'm praying I don't go into labor until it clears up (7-10 days) or I'm sure I'll have to have a c-section and I would just be devastated! I REALLY want a natural/unmedicated birth...however, I know that the risks are not worth it so if it's in the best interest for the baby to have c-section because of an outbreak, then that's what I'll do. *HUGS* to you!
li'l skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:17 PM   #8
MommyTephanie
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for your support and story! I have no idea if I have HSV2? The doc has simply called it Herpes, but I imagine it's the same. I'm glad to hear that it went as planned for your first birth and I hope you get to do the same this time around!

I completely understand that it is in the best interest of my son to have a c-section if I have an outbreak. I know I will get over it as soon as he's here as it will all be worth it. Yours too, I'm sure!

Do you find that being hot normally leads to blisters? And do you ever get just one? I've been roasting this summer (even though I'm in NY and it doesn't ever really get more than 85-95 here!) and I haven't had anything since my initial "outbreak"- which was only a single sore. I was glad my doc told me about not shaving though- my hubby doesn't like it, but I would do anything to keep them at bay.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:47 AM   #9
li'l skeeter
Registered Users
seller

I've only had 1 sore at a time during the past few years...usually only happens once a year so that's great, but the timing is terrible. I've noticed it usually happens when I'm a little more stressed than usual and in this case, I'm sure the heat, mother-in-law moving to town, and extended family visiting all close to the due date have been factors in this recent outbreak.
li'l skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:26 PM   #10
lpsexton
Registered Users
seller

I am in a similar situation. I will be induced most likely on Wednesday and I have been taking valtrex for about three weeks now. I don't see any signs of outbreak at the moment (I have only had two outbreaks in the three years I have known I have HSV2) but I am so scared that there would be something going on inside that we cannot see. Dr said that she will do a good check to make sure before I deliver. She seems very non chalant about having herpes though, so that eases my mind about the whole thing. I wanted to have a natural/ unmediated birth as well but those hopes have been thrown out the window due to preeclampsia symptoms and doctor seems to want to induce badly. I am trying to face possibility of a csection especially because of this.

I know how you feel and I'm sorry :/ I'm sure things will work out though for us all good luck mamas!
lpsexton is offline   Reply With Quote