Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-31-2014, 11:27 AM   #1
MamaCrunch
Registered Users

Question K12 programs... Opinions??

I really don't know much about it, but wondering if I should even bother looking into it. I know they have a homeschool option as well as public schooling online. Anyone tried it? Any good reasons not to bother? Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

MamaCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:28 AM   #2
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

What ages are your kids? I know you have to log so many hours and that is why many don't like it. I personally have never used it.
missydawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:51 AM   #3
MamaCrunch
Registered Users

Re: K12 programs... Opinions??

5 and soon to be 4. I haven't been around for a long time, my profile is super outdated LOL.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:18 PM   #4
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

We used it for public school online and the only major problem I had with it was the angle of the history. But since history is not a core class I didn't worry about it too much and added more information to make it more representational of the whole human race.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:40 PM   #5
3rugrats
Registered Users
seller

I had a friend who did it in our state and I got to see what she got for 1st grade. Pros: free curriculum and a free computer Cons: someone whom you are accountable to and have to report to continually, an absurd amount of time per day you are required to instruct, and having to do the curriculum they choose.

For a moment I was tempted to look into it b/c of all the free resources, but on second thought, that was not worth the trade off of being chained to the state's requirements.
3rugrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:55 PM   #6
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a friend who is using it for her boys and she seems to like it. Is the computer really free for good, or is it just borrowed? For some reason I thought it was borrowed, and if it's borrowed, I'm very reluctant. Anyway, if it's actually your own computer then I might be interested in looking into it more. But I don't really like the idea of being accountable to someone else either because one of the things I love about homeschooling is the flexibility to do things in your own time and your own way.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:58 PM   #7
3rugrats
Registered Users
seller

I forgot to mention that I do think it is a great idea for people who are very interested and would like to homeschool but feel very intimidated by choosing their own curricula and/or are wanting to try it but would like some hand holding. In that case, it seems like a great fit. My friend whom I referred to welcomed the organization and ease it offered her since she was overwhelmed w/ the whole idea of HSing yet really wanted to keep her son at home. It worked for her, and I think later in the year when it was realized by all that the work load was just too much, she was able to negotiate some different requirements w/ the overseeing teacher. I believe the computer was free to keep as long as you stay w/ K12.
3rugrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:18 PM   #8
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep the computer is burrowed. It will be returned as well as the parent guides and some other stuff when you stop using K-12. We did it last year for 1st grade. We liked it and didn't. I did like that the curriculum was all planned out but you do have to organize it and it does take more time than a normal home school plan. When you talk to most home school parents they say it takes them only 4 or so hours to do their lessons. We found that it did only take us 4 hours to do our planned lessons as well (my dd doesn't really need a lot of instruction) however you have to meet attendance hours since it is a public school. You have to key in whatever amount of hours a day that are required by your local school district. For us we had to enter a minimum of 6 hours, well we were told a minimum of 6 hours but we actually had to enter in 7 hours of attendance to meet state requirements. We did not do 7 hours a work a day. The good part about that is that you can enter in things like dance class under gym hours or gardening under science hours. Even then we still had to fudge our hours. We even did days of where we did multiple days lessons and didn't meet the attendance hours without fudging. the problem is they require the same amount of attendance time as a regular public school but don't have entries for things like recess and lunch. makes no sense to me- yes you are in school 6 to 7 hours but that includes lunch and recess and they don't allow that in your attendance hours for K-12. We often did 3 days of lessons in one day for several subjects. You can as far ahead as you want. they will allow you to go to the next grade level work if you do all your grade level assignments.

The opposite side of that- its very easy to get off track and not do lessons.

You have class connects that are required so you don;t have the freedom you'd expect. My dd had 3 class connects (at least, sometimes more) a week in which she had to be in front of the computer at a set time for whatever the class connect was- homeroom, science lesson, reading lesson, writing lesson, whatever. this is ran by the teacher and interactive. DD liked them because she could talk to the rest of her class and her teacher. They are required though, if you miss it live you have to go back and watch the recording to get credit for it.

You have very little freedom for your own material. they have assignments and assessments that have to be completed. You have to enter the assessment results so i guess its really up to you. You could fake it and do your own thing but then what would be the purpose of doing K-12? While I did not like the lack of freedom to do what we wanted and still do the assessments, we chose K-12 because it followed the district curriculum and we always planned on K-12 being temporary and dd returning to school.

The curriculum is pretty good though. Science experiments, art stuff- they send you a lot of supplies. You still need to get some supplies but they send probably 90% of the supplies - paints, brushes, clay, etc.

We struggled because I have pretty high expectations. I had to put myself in check quite a bit so I did not overwhelm dd.

We also had a problem with history. Near the end of the year it turned to religion complete with bible stories. While I like the story of David and Goliath it is not history, it is religion. I have a huge issue with public school teaching religion.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:07 PM   #9
MamaCrunch
Registered Users

Wow. A lot to think about... I don't love the sounds of it, but then again I am one of those moms who wants to homeschool, but is totally overwhelmed with figuring out which approach to take, so it might be helpful for this year since Summer is ending pretty quickly and I really need to get this all figured out ASAP, but I don't want it to be more stress than it's worth for my kids or myself. I had no idea they even gave you a computer?! I must have missed that? I just figured you used your own computer from home. Is that a requirement? or can you use your own if you have one?

Any suggestions for other programs for homeschooling for a mom totally overwhelmed? Any good basic startup for preschool - Kindergarden aged children? Resources for local groups/clubs where they can get the social interaction? That's definitely one of my biggest concerns since they really don't get much interaction with other kids.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:10 PM   #10
beth7033
Registered Users

I like k12 books and have used some of them, but I wouldn't want to be tied down to their whole program. I like my freedom too much.

Have you read "The Well Trained Mind"? It's my favorite book on how to homeschool, and is great at holding your hand while you figure out what you're doing.
beth7033 is offline   Reply With Quote