Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-01-2014, 12:30 AM   #11
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: K12 programs... Opinions??

we did AZ VA k12 for a semester plus a bit...
Loved that we go free supplies books a computer and even a check to cover our cost of internet service. (portion but still)
I was overall fine with the materials they wanted to teach

my love though basically stopped there...

Hated that she "lost" her teacher sooooo often from September till November of her second semester she had I think 6 different teachers.. Each wanted to do something a little different and it was very confusing.

Hated that if we didn't log in every morning we ended up with Emails threating to fail our kids

Or the fact that when my kid was legit sick for 5 days and comes to log on when feeling better is greeted with a list of 35 assignments she is told must be completed and more Kmail alerts on her being in danger of failing.. Fall behind more than one assignment and those darn emails again..

I also didn't like that a lot of things were being graded by someone who isn't with her doesn't see the process etc..

We started K12 the spring of her second grade and I pulled her in November the following fall.

Advertisement

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:12 AM   #12
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Very interesting. We were going to be looking into that ourselves. I don't like the loss of autonomy but it would make my husband more comfortable with it.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:27 AM   #13
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaCrunch View Post
Wow. A lot to think about... I don't love the sounds of it, but then again I am one of those moms who wants to homeschool, but is totally overwhelmed with figuring out which approach to take, so it might be helpful for this year since Summer is ending pretty quickly and I really need to get this all figured out ASAP, but I don't want it to be more stress than it's worth for my kids or myself. I had no idea they even gave you a computer?! I must have missed that? I just figured you used your own computer from home. Is that a requirement? or can you use your own if you have one?

Any suggestions for other programs for homeschooling for a mom totally overwhelmed? Any good basic startup for preschool - Kindergarden aged children? Resources for local groups/clubs where they can get the social interaction? That's definitely one of my biggest concerns since they really don't get much interaction with other kids.
You can use your own computer. We told them in the beginning we did not need a computer but they sent it anyway. We used it to print the lesson plans so I could plan our week but used my laptop for dd's actual work. There is nothing that says you have to use their computer but they will still send it.

Overall we did like the program and if I knew what I wanted to do I could have added my own spin to it since it did only take us 4 hours on a bad day to complete the plan. If we needed to pull dd back out of school we would probably use it again. I like that she is in line with her peers at the regular school. I don't know if we would stick with it permanently though. If we did we would supplement with our own stuff. Not that I don't think the curriculum is complete because it is a good curriculum just because I want that little bit of freedom to add my own lesson.

Social stuff is an issue with k-12. They have social things however everyone we had for our dd's class were on the other side of the state. They went on a "field trip" to the zoo- on the other side of the state. They went bowling- on the other side if the state. The nearest thing they did was an hour away. We have a charter school here that allows home school students to take classes, however because K-12 is considered public school and not home school, the students aren't not allowed to enroll in any other public school so she could not do that. But you can hook-up to other home school families in you area- not necessarily k12 families for social stuff as well as dance, martial arts, gymnastics or whatever classes. Heck we managed to find school aged kids at McDonalds play area in the middle of school days- never talked to the parents to find out if they were home schooled or just off for the day.

Oh which reminds me you do public school holidays however you don't get snow days for k12. So your plugging away while other kids our out for snow days but we also finished during the regular end of school while the regular school had to extend to make up their snow days.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:37 PM   #14
MyKylie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have not used it but a friend of mine has. She struggled a lot with it and eventually withdrew from it. It was extremely difficult for her to do the "face time" that was required with the teacher because there were only a small amount of times you could log on to the computer to do so. It often conflicted with things and it wasn't flexible. I know another person who used it and disliked the strictness of it. (Having to log in, report progress, etc) I've not heard good things about it from anyone I've talked to.

K R M

Last edited by MyKylie; 08-02-2014 at 12:38 PM.
MyKylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:51 PM   #15
3rugrats
Registered Users
seller

for p-K/K a lot of people keep things very relaxed and not too structured--that might help you to not feel overwhelmed. You really don't even *need* a curriculum for those ages. There is so much online and from the library you can use. For those years, we did a lot of reading. I just got books from great booklists--sonlight, Before Five in a row, and other good children's book list. I also used starfall.com and progressive phonics.com as well as leapfrog videos to teach letter sounds/phonics, then Bob books. For math, we just did some fun play time things and used cuisenaire rods and magnetic shapes on cookie sheets/on pattern boards. Play-doh helps to develop fine motor skills for handwriting. Play really is all they need at that age and looks of reading aloud, IMO and then a relaxed introduction to letter sounds when they show interest.
3rugrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:57 PM   #16
3rugrats
Registered Users
seller

Quote:

Any suggestions for other programs for homeschooling for a mom totally overwhelmed? Any good basic startup for preschool - Kindergarden aged children? Resources for local groups/clubs where they can get the social interaction? That's definitely one of my biggest concerns since they really don't get much interaction with other kids.
library storytime, local community centers/parks and rec. often have great programs for kids (we did a music exploration type thing at one) there are 2 local yahoo homeschool groups in my area and lots of events/field trips for HSers. You could see if there's on in your area, sports at the YMCA or playgroups through local moms groups. We have a lot of places around here that offer lessons for HSers, or a HS PE class. That is a great place to look for socialization opportunities.
3rugrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:30 PM   #17
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

We did k12 at the Y when she did the program. She meet for like 2 hours every t/th did a few projects etc with other k12 kids. Also had park days etc..

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:05 AM   #18
MamaCrunch
Registered Users

I'm really leaning towards not going with the program. I'll look into some of the things mentioned here. I think for this year it might just be better for us to find a simple more relaxed setup where we can focus more on my children's own interests and passions and things that are important to our family as well. I don't want to be stuck with such a strict curriculum and schedule. Thanks for all the input! I'm still very open to more suggestions!
MamaCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:12 PM   #19
SillyEllie
Registered Users
Formerly: ardygurly
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Wow. A lot to think about... I don't love the sounds of it, but then again I am one of those moms who wants to homeschool, but is totally overwhelmed with figuring out which approach to take, so it might be helpful for this year since Summer is ending pretty quickly and I really need to get this all figured out ASAP, but I don't want it to be more stress than it's worth for my kids or myself. I had no idea they even gave you a computer?! I must have missed that? I just figured you used your own computer from home. Is that a requirement? or can you use your own if you have one?

I've had a few homeschooling friends who did K12 and/or public virtual school. Both hated it. I think it defeats the purpose of homeschooling. For us, I wanted to be in control of my kids education. I have thought about the public virtual schools but more thinking about it, if I wanted my kids to do that much work and be tested all the time then I would just send them to school. Kwim? I wouldn't stress too much about pre-k or k. They should be playing alot, do lots of field trips and read together. Maybe try focusing on learning to read and everything else can just play out through your time together. My daughter really liked Hooked on Phonics for K. Also, my pre-k and 1st grader like ABCMouse.com. I guess to answer your question, it really depends on WHY you want to homeschool your kids. For us it was because I want my kids to learn at their pace and not be tested all the time so K12 was out for us. Good luck!
Old 08-08-2014, 07:15 PM   #20
SillyEllie
Registered Users
Formerly: ardygurly
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rugrats View Post
for p-K/K a lot of people keep things very relaxed and not too structured--that might help you to not feel overwhelmed. You really don't even *need* a curriculum for those ages. There is so much online and from the library you can use. For those years, we did a lot of reading. I just got books from great booklists--sonlight, Before Five in a row, and other good children's book list. I also used starfall.com and progressive phonics.com as well as leapfrog videos to teach letter sounds/phonics, then Bob books. For math, we just did some fun play time things and used cuisenaire rods and magnetic shapes on cookie sheets/on pattern boards. Play-doh helps to develop fine motor skills for handwriting. Play really is all they need at that age and looks of reading aloud, IMO and then a relaxed introduction to letter sounds when they show interest.
::