Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-01-2014, 09:59 AM   #1
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Microscope for science

Any recommendations for a 6 yr old? My son is super interested in his science books and has been asking about where to get a microscope. Thinking it would be the perfect birthday present. Educational too!

Advertisement

mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:27 AM   #2
Hitchkids
Registered Users

Re: Microscope for science

I have to admit that for that age, I would not spend a ton on a microscope yet. I'd stick with one of the basic, more toy like models. We have two microscopes at home right now. The better quality expensive one we bought for our high school students and then the $25 model we got at Target for the younger kids to use. I want them to be able to use one at a young age but I don't want to spend so much that I would get upset if they broke it. Just my thinking.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:30 PM   #3
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks! Yeah, I know what you mean.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:03 PM   #4
beth7033
Registered Users

We got this one when our kids were small, and it has held up well. We got a few different objectives for so we can have a variety of magnification strengths. I like that they can take the tube out and carry it around the yard to look at things too. I also like that it can use room light pretty well so we don't need batteries or to adjust a mirror. Though shining a small flashlight into the optic tube can help if it's too dark.

Another option is an eyeclopse. You can hook it up to your tv and magnify things pretty well. It's a little easier for little ones to look at a tv than through a little tube.
beth7033 is offline   Reply With Quote