Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-01-2014, 12:44 PM   #1
MyKylie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Can't decide on math curriculum!

I thought I'd settled on Singapore, but now I'm considering Math U See. My 7 y/o is a hands on learner. This our first year homeschooling, so I've no previous experience with anything. Any input on MUS or Singapore or another one I've missed?? (It can't be faith based)

Advertisement

K R M
MyKylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:37 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: Can't decide on math curriculum!

We love Math-U-See. I have at least one hands-on learner, but this program has worked for all 3 of my kids.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:24 PM   #3
MyKylie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
So does it really only cover addition and subtraction in the first years? It seems weird to me to not cover money, time, fractions, and all those other concepts as well or am I missing something? Do you use the video lessons?

K R M
Old 08-01-2014, 05:28 PM   #4
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

We use the video lessons, but not so much at the younger ages. We did with my oldest, but now that I'm teaching it for the 3rd time, we don't. I am not sure my youngest has watched a lesson at all, and she's in Beta. But, she also has grasped everything quickly after I explained it to her. My oldest has watched pretty much every lesson, and some of them a few times. She has a harder time with math than the other two.

And no, it covers more than just addition and subtraction, but those are the focus. Being a mastery program, it is laid out differently than most other programs and it does seem a bit odd if you are used to a spiral program. As I said, my youngest is in Beta and so far she has covered skip counting by 2, 5, 10, tally marks, rounding to the nearest 10 (and possibly nearest hundred and thousand, but I don't remember), telling time on an analog clock, and some other things. My oldest has just finished up pre-algebra and while she learned things in a different order than the spiral programs, she learned it.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:11 PM   #5
MyKylie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So what are the benefits of mastery based? Who is spiraling better for?

K R M
Old 08-01-2014, 09:12 PM   #6
3rugrats
Registered Users
seller

we use miquon. It is discovery based, using cuisinaire rods. My kids and I love it, and it is really cheap, which is a major plus. Education Unboxed videos online are also excellent and use the c-rods.

http://miquonmath.com/
3rugrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:52 PM   #7
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I don't know who mastery is better for. I wasn't shopping for a mastery program, just a hands-on one when we started. I don't think one is better than the other, either. A friend of mine, though, has a daughter that struggled with math until they switched to a mastery based program. I think the spiral approach didn't work well for her because it didn't have enough practice of the new concept.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:05 PM   #8
MyKylie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rugrats View Post
we use miquon. It is discovery based, using cuisinaire rods. My kids and I love it, and it is really cheap, which is a major plus. Education Unboxed videos online are also excellent and use the c-rods.

http://miquonmath.com/
I don't even have the foggiest idea what discovery based means. Fill me in?

K R M
Old 08-01-2014, 11:08 PM   #9
mykidsaremyheart
Registered Users
seller

I used Math Mammoth for my struggling learner. We chose the mastery approach and she was doing very well for almost 2 years. Then testing came, she didn't do very well on the stuff she had mastered early on. So, for those reasons, we went back to a spiral program- saxon. I've only tried Horizon math before then.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:48 AM   #10
7mom7
Registered Users

We used Singapore for Kindergarten but I'm switching to Math-U-See for 1st grade. My primary reason for switching is because this is my second child's "pre-k" year and he needs more of my attention. We are also adding a 3rd child into the mix via foster to adopt so I'll have my hands more full than usual. I want our curriculum to be as simple as possible with little to no planning required on my part. Otherwise, I'm concerned we won't accomplish anything! I think we'll add money and time to our morning calender routine along with Bible/character. I'm also planning to push through Math-U-See at whatever pace my son can manage. He's been adding/subtracting for a few years now so if he can do a weeks worth of lessons in a day then I'll let him. He loves math so I expect we'll move through it pretty quickly. Since we'll eventually have 3 kids in 3 different levels I really like the idea of DVD instruction. We also have 3 TV's in the house so they can all do math at the same time
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote