Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-05-2014, 08:45 AM   #1
necomama
Registered Users

3 kids in preschool class

So my son starts a new preschool this week and when we went to meet with the teacher we found out that there will only be 3 kids in his class. The two other kids are tuition students and will only be there 3 days.

My son has an IEP for speech so he has to be there 4 days and on that one day he will be the only student. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

There is a classroom next door as well so I imagine they'd work together sometimes like his previous school did. The teacher in that classroom happens to know my son since she works in the daycare center at the gym I attend.

Although she's not his teacher she's his teachers mentor and will be able to tell her about my sons shy temperament and what not.

So anyways, what would you do? Is 3 a little too small for a preschool class? Would you find a different school with more kids?

Advertisement

necomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:49 AM   #2
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm surprised they are able to have the class with only three enrolled. Why couldn't they move those three to the next door class? Are they different age groups?
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:05 AM   #3
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: 3 kids in preschool class

I bet you see things move around, I couldn't imagine them keeping a class with only three kids.
Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:11 AM   #4
OsweetchildrenO
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've had my son in Preschool for the past year and they seem to move the kids around. In the morning I drop him off in a different classroom than his "normal" one and now that it's summer there's like 3-4 kids in the room. When I pick him up at Noon(which is temporary), his normal classroom has like 15 kids. And then on days I get him at 5PM, the room is yet again different with anywhere from 3-6 kids in there. LOL They all play together in the playground that I've noticed. And I would think the lower child ratio to teacher would be better for him learning.
OsweetchildrenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:13 AM   #5
necomama
Registered Users

Supposedly more kids will be added as year goes on but whose to know if that will really happen. I am shocked too that they are able to have such a small class. If I was one of the paying parents I'd be looking into other options. He'll get more one on one attention with a small class which is what he loves but I want him to play and see other kids his age talking too, not just working with an adult or two for 2 hours. I think she said the other two kids are 4.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:44 AM   #6
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

That sounds amazing, a small group where you're son with an IEP gets individual attention one day a week. They can really focus on his needs in such a small group. I think it's great.

If they plan on adding more IEP kids, kids getting early intervention transfer to public school on thier 3rd birthday. Wouldn't surprise me at all if the class was full by mid year. That's how it goes around here.

DD1 who is deaf with cochlear implants will be going to a special program for Kindergarten. There is 1 other student for K curriculum alternating with large group activities with 6 other children throughout the day.

Last edited by mibarra; 08-05-2014 at 09:46 AM.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:13 AM   #7
necomama
Registered Users

I called district and they said it will likely fill up by week 2. And they told me that he actually won't be the only kid one day, there will be one other so I feel better. It will be good for him to have less kids in the class initially anyways.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:30 PM   #8
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When my son had his iep in preschool he had 5 kids in his tue-thur class (all 3 years) and then m-w-f I think they had 8-10. It wasn't uncommon for there to only be 3 kids on the t-thursday class days. It still went great.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:08 PM   #9
Angel_7971
Registered Users
seller

My son had speech iep and for 3yo prek he had 2 other kids w ieps and 2 peer models. The last month and half they added two more iep kids. Next year (4k) is different because very one wants their kid in the free 4k so his class will be full.
Angel_7971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:31 PM   #10
doodah
Registered Users
seller

My daughter went to a similar style preschool and this system also adds kids as the time goes on. It is very common with preschool programs that cater to special needs students.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote