Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-07-2014, 07:51 AM   #1
xin_ying
Registered Users
seller

Diaper paste and cloth?

My daughter always has a rash unless I use triple paste. I always use a microfleece liner in the diaper which seems to help but still she gets a rash. So I keep using disposables so that I can use triple paste. I see many people say they use a liner and any diaper cream but I am sooooooo nervous. I don't have tons of extra time and I know if my diapers start being unabsorbent and I have to work hard to get cream out, I will give up! Is it truly safe to use triple paste and a liner? I usually use a microfleece liner that I cut from joann fabrics and a disposable to catch the poop. I also just bought a sweet iris stay dry liner and have yet to try it. Please help me figure out how to keep going with this. I tried coconut oil but it didn't do a thing. And it is soooo messy to apply.

Advertisement

xin_ying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:01 PM   #2
lapedestrienne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Diaper paste and cloth?

Cream like triple paste treats the existing rash, but the rash is a symptom--and the triple paste can't fix the underlying problem. Some babies are irritated by moisture on their skin and need stay-dry fabrics like microfleece as a next-to-skin layer. But some babies are irritated by synthetic fibers. Another possibility is that your diapers aren't getting fully clean and harbor some lingering bacteria that are causing the rash. Might need to tweak your wash routine.

What type of diapers are you using? With simple cotton flats or prefolds, diaper cream is not so big a deal, especially if you're using it infrequently. It will wash out, but might leave a bit of a fishy smell if it contains cod liver oil. However, with fancier "modern" cloth diapers (AIOs, pockets) it can compromise absorbency.

Coconut oil is a great moisture barrier with mild antimicrobial properties, but on its own isn't intended to treat a full-blown rash the way a zinc oxide cream can. Also, when the indoor temp is above 80 (I'm in Las Vegas, so that's like half the year!) I keep coconut oil in a squeeze bottle and just squeeze out a teaspoon or so to apply at each diaper change. Its melting point is, I believe, ~78 degrees F. I actually find it a lot easier to apply than zinc oxide creams because I always end up with white stuff on my hands and clothes, and I cannot stand the smell of most desitin-type creams.
lapedestrienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:40 PM   #3
wiggles&co
Registered Users
seller

I agree with the above - rash is just a symptom of another problem. My daughter had a persistent rash for months on end, even after stripping the diapers. I found that my detergent (Ecos) wasn't getting my diapers clean enough. I switched to Tide, then to BumGenius just because I don't like the smell of Tide, and I haven't had a single rash since.

To answer you actual question, yes, you can use a non-diaper safe cream with a liner as a barrier but it may still get on your diaper and build up eventually. I used CJs Butter, which is said to be CD safe, for a while without having a repelling problem and it worked pretty well. I eventually switched to coconut oil though mainly because it was cheaper and easier to get.

I would suggest to try stripping all your cloth diapers and see if that helps the rash. I did a large load, one cold rinse cycle (only because some diapers were dirty, if they're all clean skip that), cold water with 1/4 cup bleach, then rinse cycle 4-5 more times without anything, then a warm wash with my detergent and another cold rinse. Probably overkill but I'm paranoid about the bleach haha
There are many different ways to strip, though, if you don't want to use bleach.

Last edited by wiggles&co; 08-07-2014 at 01:42 PM.
wiggles&co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:31 PM   #4
xin_ying
Registered Users
seller

I have stripped them. The problem is that she persistently has a rash if cream isn't used, even with disposables. I am using fitteds/prefolds/flats with wool and occasionally other breathable, non-PUL covers. I have tried stay dry diapers, etc. I am using Tide.
I have some rockin green that I should try again. I was using it, but then I switched because I read it got diapers cleaner, however, I never had an issue with the rockin green.
I wonder if she is eating something that gives her a rash, but I can't figure out what. I use the triple paste to treat but also prevent. Coconut oil did nothing to prevent. I think if it is mostly under control, I can get away with a very thin layer of it. Will that help prevent the absorbency issues? It feels like it is so hard to know. I do so love cloth though. I just wish I could get it to work for my little one. Truly, it isn't just the cloth because she has it with disposables, but the difference is that I can slather on the triple paste.
xin_ying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:30 PM   #5
Gavins_Mommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I feel like ECos isn't getting my diaps clean enough. Maybe have to go back to the drawing board.

It's trial and error really. I use disposable liners while I'm treating my son for a rash. It doesn't get on the cloth, and I don't have to go buy sposies.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:36 PM   #6
wiggles&co
Registered Users
seller

I found coconut oil to be a better preventative or even just to use with a slight rash. once there is a full blown rash it doesn't seem to work well. I use coconut oil every diaper change for the past five months, maybe longer, and I haven't seen any absorbency issues. However I strip every 2-3 months because I seem to start getting an ammonia build up around that time.
if you're worried about build up, there are cloth safe creams youcan use, although they normally aren't as good as the non safe ones (believe me, I love Bordeaux butt cream. Works so quickly but its not cd safe which makes me sad sometimes) Cj Butter is a similar consistency to coconut oil but a little bit thicker so it seems to form a better barrier. You can get little sample jars for $1.50 at Kellys Closet which I find work great for having in the diaper bag.

If you have stripped the diaper them it might be something she's eating. Tomatoes, strawberries, oranges, and anything acidic are the most well known to cause rashes but other foods can as well dependig on your child. Its a lot of trial and error to figure that out. Does it get worse after she poops? And is she getting enough water as well because sometimes it could be ammonia burns, but that is more likely caused by ammonia build up in diapers.if you haven't already you should talk to you pediatrician.

I hope I'm not annoying you or anything with my suggestions. Like I said, I went through something very similar earlier this year, even still gettig a rash with sposies. (I don't know what caused that part exactly, though. Once I fixed the cloth problem she stopped having rashes in the sposies as well) I asked here for help, got a bunch of suggestions and tried many different things before something finally worked.

Last edited by wiggles&co; 08-07-2014 at 09:48 PM.
wiggles&co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:58 AM   #7
nellycakes80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When my lo had a persistent rash what worked was doing a final light wash with no detergent... That area is super sensitive so maybe the detergent just isn't getting all the way rinsed out?
Old 08-08-2014, 07:20 AM   #8
greysmama
Registered Users
seller

Have you tried grandma els or California baby? They are white cream pastes that are cd friendly. So you'd still wanna use a liner but maybe not have to worry about build up as much

Sent from my iPhone using diaperswappers.com
greysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:34 AM   #9
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've heard with prefolds/flats and a good washer/detergent you can get most rash creams out even if not diaper friendly. I'm pretty sure there is a mama on here and uses prefolds and triple paste without a liner with no issues... Here is a link to one of her postings if you want to try and contact her directly.

I've used burts bees diaper rash cream without a liner, though i used very little and rubbed it in good. It has zinc oxicide (switch is what can be bad for cloth).

If you are using WITH your liner i think it's likely it would be okay but you may need to replace your liners regularly? synthetic fibers can be harder to clean than natural.. Also maybe try and use less...

I like to use Lanolin, its a great moisture barrier and cloth friendly. I had alot of luck switching to wool/fleece... that stinks it didn't work for you.

I find that LO does well in fitteds/flats with wool with no liner during the day. I think I night she might need the liner though. I will try again.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 08-08-2014 at 07:41 AM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:54 AM   #10
Lizanne
Registered Users
seller

I use extra virgin olive oil and lanoline. Olive oil has a natural anti inflammatory ingredient, is easy to smooth onto skin and coats well. Lanoline is a thicker moisture barrier. Both are ok for ingestion and I don't have to worry about synthetic additives.

I have had success with Dr. Bronner's unscented baby mild soap and super washing soda for our dipes and general laundry. You can find both on Amazon. A little of Dr. Bronner's goes a long way! We bought a gallon in December and there is still 1/3 left. I use 1-2 Tbsp per load in my HE. I use Dr. Bronner's for nearly all my household cleaning too. We run a cup or two of the super washing soda in every wash.