Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-07-2014, 07:54 AM   #1
orionsmom
Registered Users
seller

Ammonia rash help. I'm almost done.

I could really use some help, I am about thisclose to throwing in the towel on cloth entirely. We are just rash central over here despite constant improvements to the routine. DS is now nearly 14 months but the rashes started before 9 months. They are always on the inside of the thigh. First I took him out of PUL and replaced my ENTIRE pocket diaper stash (my beloved pockets!) with GMD workhorses with fleece and wool covers. Things improved for a good while and then started to go downhill again. After a particularly horrible night, after which DS woke with a dreadful, heartbreaking rash of red pustules, I figured out that we had an ammonia problem (the smell helped clue me in). So I stripped all my diapers, upped my detergent usage, and have started rinsing all the night-time fitteds in the morning. We used disposables for about 4 days and everything was hunky-dory, then continued to be fine for another ~3 days in cloth, and now the rash is back. UGH. I have spent SO MUCH MONEY and SO MUCH TIME trying to figure this out, I'm a FT WOHM and I just don't know if I can take it anymore. Any tips for how to get this rash gone once and for all??

I have an HE FL and use about 3/4 scoop of Country Save. My wash routine is: quick warm pre-rinse with low spin, hot "heavy duty" wash with Country Save (also low spin), then final hot rinse and full spin. Here in DC we have pretty normal water, maybe just a touch hard.

Advertisement

orionsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:04 AM   #2
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Ammonia rash help. I'm almost done.

Try tide and I would put him in disposables at night for awhile. I would also add bleach to one wash to kill off anything in your diapers that can cause a rash.
Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:27 AM   #3
Tomtomsmom
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by missydawn View Post
Try tide and I would put him in disposables at night for awhile. I would also add bleach to one wash to kill off anything in your diapers that can cause a rash.

My DS has had a similar rash in a similar location. As far as laundry goes, I basically did what missydawn recommends.
Additionally I bought some flushable liners. I started using Clotrimazole 1% cream twice daily to address any component of yeast that might be present and a zinc barrier cream with most changes for a week. The rest of the changes I use cloth diaper safe balm. The rash has cleared up doing this. Now I basically watch him like a hawk for any signs of it returning. If his bum is looking rashy, we are back to zinc cream for a few changes. And if I need a break from all of that diaper lining, it's sposies for a bit!!
Tomtomsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:55 AM   #4
carverjill
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

Yup switch to mainstream detergent like tide and incorporate bleach in your wash routine weekly and you should finally be rid of the ammonia. The thing about ammonia is that is comes back again and again if you aren't getting your diapers clean.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:26 AM   #5
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I agree with the others. If you have ammonia issues your diapers are not getting clean enough. Since increasing quantity of your current detergent isn't doing the trick it is time to switch detergents.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #6
orionsmom
Registered Users
seller

Thanks, everyone. I definitely appreciate the help. I have been trying many different kinds of detergent without luck - including several mainstream detergents. Just not Tide because I can't find it without those Actilift crystals. Frustrating to spend still more money on more detergent when I already have four different brands of detergent in the closet, none of which are apparently good enough. /vent
Old 08-07-2014, 12:33 PM   #7
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

What detergents have you tried? What is your wash routine?
Old 08-07-2014, 12:48 PM   #8
orionsmom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by missydawn View Post
What detergents have you tried? What is your wash routine?
My wash routine is up in the original post. I've tried Tide liquid, All Free & Clear liquid, Oxiclean powder, and Country Save HE. So far I've gotten the best results from the Oxiclean detergent, but I'll try Tide original powder next.

I guess I should add that I used to have a TL, and I used Country Save liquid for that. No problems ever. I am hatin' on FLs big time right now! haha
Old 08-07-2014, 01:01 PM   #9
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Start doing a full spin after the wash and add two bath towels to the wash. Try that with your tide liquid.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:05 PM   #10
Chichidc
Registered Users
seller

I'm also in DC and we have really hard water - it may be just where you are located in the city and the age of the pipes there but we get mineral buildup on everything. I do a Funk Rock or RLR pre-rinse once in a while, but we also do monthly strips to keep the ammonia in check. Washing out the nighttime diapers helped. We use RNG or occasionally powdered tide (I can't stand the smell). I have an old top loader.
Chichidc is offline   Reply With Quote