Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-07-2014, 11:59 PM   #11
carverjill
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

Re: Ammonia rash help. I'm almost done.

Have you tried getting everything really clean once a week with bleach in the wash cycle? You don't need a lot, try 1/3 cup.

Advertisement

Old 08-08-2014, 12:39 AM   #12
nellycakes80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our never ending rash was cured by doing an extra light wash with no detergent after your main wash. I now also add a bit of vinegar to my first light wash (with no detergent) that I do to rinse out all the yuck.. Good luck!
Old 08-08-2014, 01:07 PM   #13
SelinaT
Registered Users
seller

I had this problem when my DD was around that age. I had to strip all of them. I did smaller loads and did 2 prewashes prior to hot wash. The ammonia eventually went away. I think my DD was in the diaper too long since she would sleep for 10 hours straight. If I start noticing the ammonia smells I start my wash routine again to prevent further build up. Good luck and hang in there!
SelinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:38 PM   #14
steph_marie9
Registered Users

I pretty much gave up and now bleach every wash. We didn't have constant rashes before, but we did get them occasionally, and the diaper pail stunk, as did the diapers when I took them off the baby. Sometimes ammonia, sometimes just stink. We use mostly prefolds and covers, so they can take a beating and I'm not worried about wearing them out prematurely. I add a few tablespoons of bleach to each load, and can pretty much use whatever detergent or machine I want and a reasonable wash routine. Never a rash, never a stink unless I try to back off the bleach.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:40 PM   #15
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What's "a good while" that the Workhorses and wool has been working? Several months? If so I would say that your new system is probably better for your LO and it is the wash routine. I'm just moving that direction, DD has only done one night in a fitted and wool but she didn't look great in the morning. I am going to try with a suedecloth liner next time. She is use to suedecloth pockets at night.

Is night really your only issue? If so using disposables at night might be a good answer until you feel ready to tactical this again. No reason to throw in the whole towel if you can just throw in the nighttime towel.

Unfortunately I feel like wash routines are so specific to your water, washer, diapers, that no one call tell you what will work or how much to use. It just takes trial and error.

As much as I hate bleach it does get things clean and might be worth a try reguarlly if you think nothing else will work. IF the oxiclean works you could try and add oxygen bleach with your detergent. I use to use biokleen oxygen bleach in the prerinse regularly.

When I had similar water to yours, pretty standard town water and a TL I used biokleen liquid with success. Personally I think liquid detergent work better in hardish to hard water.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 08-08-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:14 PM   #16
RNmom926
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I had similar problems with my daughter. The only thing that works for us is: (whirlpool duet fl washer)

Quick wash warm with original liquid he tide to the one line. Cold rinse regular spin.

Whitest whites wash (basically a long hot wash) with original liquid he tide to the 2 - 3 line depending on the size of the load. Cold rinse regular spin.

Quick wash warm and cold rinse with no detergent.

My only suggestions for you would be to add the extra quick cycle with no detergent at the end of your routine to really rinse the diapers. And to up your spin speed. Think about it - your washer is doing all this work to get rid of the ick but you are not completely draining the dirty water until the very last cycle. You are just re washing the diapers soaked in dirty water. I also read some where that (most) front loaders actually clean differently than the top loaders that need a lot of water to run. Front loaders work off of the friction of the diapers rubbing together and if you "trick" them into adding more water by putting a wet towel in with them that they don't clean as well. Try doing a search on this forum for "laundry science" there is a really good article that explains it.
RNmom926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:09 PM   #17
mykidsaremyheart
Registered Users
seller

For ammonia, I'd try a cold prewash with some vinegar and keep the rest if your routine the same.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:43 PM   #18
LlamaMama13
Registered Users

Rocking green ammonia funk to remove it all without having to do a complete strip then a scoop in every load. And for my front loader I do two rinse and spin then wash on bedding cycle with a pre rinse and extra rinse at the end. No rash problems or anymore ammonia build up. Also do a 1/4 cup bleach in each wash once a month. A ton of ppl have problems with country save especially those I know who have hard water.
LlamaMama13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:30 PM   #19
orionsmom
Registered Users
seller

Thanks to everyone who's replied - I've read them all but I can't respond since I'm on a business trip. Things have gotten much better since I've been adding a little bleach to each load. I also picked up some Tide. Very very encouraged that my little man is once again flaunting pasty white baby-smooth thighs.
orionsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:28 PM   #20
carverjill
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

Yay that's so good to hear!!! Bleach and tide are the miracle ammonia cure every time! I'm a natural detergent kind of gal but after ammonia problems of my own switched to tide and bleach for diapers and haven't looked back.