Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-07-2014, 09:22 AM   #1
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
crochet longies pattern

I got some wool I got my hooks and some basic knowledge now what pattern should I do....

suggestions on a crochet pattern for longies?

I was leaning toward this one

But I could do the s tandard little fire one.

I need something easy for I am a beginner. I kinda would prefer to use elastic vrs a tie.

oh and does anyone know... I got a weighted 4 yarn and the first pattern recommends weight 3. As long as I choose the right needle to meet the gauge on the pattern they should still come out the right size right? I would assume I use a needle down from suggested...

thanks

Advertisement

Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 08-07-2014 at 10:03 AM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:24 AM   #2
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: crochet longies pattern

I've only made the little fire ones. (And then I taught myself to knit )

Yes you can use whatever yarn to get gauge. However the fabric that it creates will be different
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:20 AM   #3
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I haven't tried these myself but when reading this it seemed to be pretty in depth with a lot of explanations for beginners. I also like the way the finished woolies look. Although I crochet and have done so for more than 25 years I generally dislike the look of crochet woolies. I liked these so well I subscribed to the thread for future reference.
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d.php?t=271902
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:32 AM   #4
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

There's great tutorial in craft chat from a few years back...totally customizable & you can use whatever yarn & hook you like.

That's the one linked above.

Last edited by carriek38; 08-07-2014 at 10:42 AM.
carriek38 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:13 PM   #5
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
I haven't tried these myself but when reading this it seemed to be pretty in depth with a lot of explanations for beginners. I also like the way the finished woolies look. Although I crochet and have done so for more than 25 years I generally dislike the look of crochet woolies. I liked these so well I subscribed to the thread for future reference.
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d.php?t=271902
wow! i need to read this more carefully. it might be TOO much information for me. Thanks much for sharing.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Old 08-07-2014, 06:20 PM   #6
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yeah. its interesting but she says figure out when you want to make your short rows but doesn't tell me what to use to decide when I want short rows (for instance). Subbing though. I probably will never be experience enough, to make for my own kids but yah never know.

I do want to make/buy a skirtie now though.

Last edited by Pixi6s; 08-07-2014 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:13 PM   #7
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
yeah. its interesting but she says figure out when you want to make your short rows but doesn't tell me what to use to decide when I want short rows (for instance). Subbing though. I probably will never be experience enough, to make for my own kids but yah never know.

I do want to make/buy a skirtie now though.
I looked at pics of other patterns (Ladybugz & Wigglebunz, I think) to see where I liked the short rows & have payed w/ the shaping to see what I like.

FWIW, I learned how to crochet from YouTube in January a few years ago. I did some practicing, then made a couple cruddy looking projects. By April or May (I was working FT+ & mentoring a kid) I had made a pretty decent pair of longies. You can do it!
Old 08-07-2014, 07:30 PM   #8
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks. I taught myself from aunt ester on utube about 4 years ago. I haven't had much luck making anything usable. My hats never fit. My booties rarely do. My best product is a car seat blanket I made for my son. It got lots of use from both kids.

Reading this made me do some more searching. I have decided to do the Dandelion Daydreamers pattern. I'm going to use the waist band explained by DS user posted above. I like how it doesn't have a chain around an opening, which has caused me issues in the past. I'm also going to add the elastic waist as showed by the user as well. I will add the customization short rows for the bootie and probably the lace around the feet.

thanks everyone!

Last edited by Pixi6s; 08-07-2014 at 07:31 PM.