Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-07-2014, 05:51 PM   #1
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Going (long) past your due date

All of my kids have gone past 41 weeks. I am currently 41w1d and I'll admit it causes me some worry and anxiety. I want to avoid the risks of induction but not at the expense of the risks of the safety and health of my baby of course... Really I just need some encouragement. I have two healthy kids born post dates but somehow each time it's still hard.

Id love to hear some POSITIVE stories from mamas who went a week or more past due. thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using diaperswappers.com

Advertisement

Old 08-07-2014, 06:15 PM   #2
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Going (long) past your due date

you know my stories already. Just wanted to offer hugs

Trampoline
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:32 PM   #3
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmom View Post
you know my stories already. Just wanted to offer hugs

Trampoline

aww thanks!!!

Old 08-07-2014, 06:54 PM   #4
Southernbelle
Registered Users
seller

My last 3 were all born after their due dates, each one a little longer than the one previous. With my last pregnancy I knew that I'd go at least a week overdue, so it helped my mindset to have that expectation.

Whenever people would see me and say, "You're still pregnant?!" I'd answer with, "I'm not in a hurry. They're easier to take care of when they're still in my belly!"

It's still tough when you're so uncomfortable!

Mama to 5: DD 6/00, DS 2/02, DD 11/05, DS 12/10, DS 5/14 and expecting someone new 7/15
3 angel babies from miscarriages
Southernbelle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:06 PM   #5
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

My sister's babies were both born at 42 weeks, and she is so OCD about natural family planning that we KNOW her ovulation dates were accurate (which is what her doc based the due dates from). Her first was 7.6 pounds, doc wanted to induce at 37 weeks but she refused....Can you imagine how small he would have been if she hadn't waited until he was actually ready 5 weeks later?

All of my sibs and I were all born late and perfectly healthy. I am a twin and we were born at 42 weeks!
Melinda29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:13 AM   #6
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Going (long) past your due date

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda29 View Post
My sister's babies were both born at 42 weeks, and she is so OCD about natural family planning that we KNOW her ovulation dates were accurate (which is what her doc based the due dates from). Her first was 7.6 pounds, doc wanted to induce at 37 weeks but she refused....Can you imagine how small he would have been if she hadn't waited until he was actually ready 5 weeks later?

All of my sibs and I were all born late and perfectly healthy. I am a twin and we were born at 42 weeks!
I was also tracking my dates this pregnancy and so I thought maybe my due date would be more accurate, but apparently I just gestate longer.

My babies were estimated to be big and actually were quite large at 9.4 and 10.2 ounces and I am a twin too!! I was full term (although I don't think 42 weeks - but my mom is not here to ask) at 7.6 and my sister was 8.6.... So big babies are also part of my family too. I think that's part of what makes waiting hard wondering how big they will be! And getting more pressure from care providers because of that. But I've had big babies before I can do it again!

Thanks for your message

Last edited by justineybean; 08-08-2014 at 04:18 AM.
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:18 AM   #7
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernbelle View Post
My last 3 were all born after their due dates, each one a little longer than the one previous. With my last pregnancy I knew that I'd go at least a week overdue, so it helped my mindset to have that expectation.

Whenever people would see me and say, "You're still pregnant?!" I'd answer with, "I'm not in a hurry. They're easier to take care of when they're still in my belly!"

It's still tough when you're so uncomfortable!

Thank you yes uncomfortable and just generally worn out... I think I'll try your line with anyone who says that those comments get old.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:49 AM   #8
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I always go at least a week over. Luckily, there is a pattern but it caused lots of worrying with the first.

By the end I do every single thing listed that will get things moving along.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here. I Twice $10 off on your first order at Twice.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:58 AM   #9
GreenHome Sewing
Registered Users
Formerly: Jonah Baby
seller
seller

My Mood:

Most of the "scare tactics" doctors use to try and convince you to induce are not founded or backed by actual science. To my knowledge, there are very few medical cases where negative consequences arose from a child being in utero "too long" past their "due date."

Also, thought I read something about women in northern countries like Iceland gestating to 42-44 weeks average?

As with any other time in your pregnancy, just pay attention to your health and that baby is responsive to your touch, sound, motion, etc. Don't let them bully you, Mama knows best.

None of mine were induced. My second and third were completely natural labors and very quick to make up for the traumatic first.
My first child was given an estimated due date by ultrasound. We had no idea when I had LMP or was expected to, so they literally guessed based on what size he looked like. He was born 3 days before his due date at 9 pounds.
Baby two was 12 days over, so 41+5. He was nearly 9 pounds as well. We knew the LMP and estimated ovulation because I was on and off trying to find good birth control.
My third was 11 over, 41+4. We knew exact ovulation date. She was a tad over 8. She was completely DONE being inside. I never pushed with her, ever hear of fetal ejection reflex? She birthed herself and was awful pleased about it

Last edited by GreenHome Sewing; 08-08-2014 at 06:05 AM.
GreenHome Sewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:01 AM   #10
JackieB
Registered Users
seller

Hang in there! My 3 (so far ) were 3, 6, and 11 days past their due dates, and they were perfectly healthy. My labors with the last 2 were both under 5 hours with no meds- definitely made up for the long wait! I complied with NST's with my last baby, just for peace of mind. Of the 5 Dr's in the practice, it was the oldest Dr (who delivered me, 19 past my due date) who was the most comfortable with letting me " go". Some research I did while waiting suggested that 41 weeks was closer to mark for gestation periods than 40 weeks. ... So just do your own research and stick to what you are comfortable with .
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote