Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-07-2014, 06:55 PM   #1
MileeG
Registered Users
seller

What do you use for long car trips?

We CD 100% of the time with DS and are planning our first long-ish car trip (3.5 hours each way). With my girls I used disposables when we traveled, but I am not going to buy a pack for a one day adventure.

I was thinking maybe a fitted with wool shorties for the car? What have you used with success?

Advertisement

MileeG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:30 PM   #2
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
I use our regular cds.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:04 PM   #3
mykidsaremyheart
Registered Users
seller

Re: What do you use for long car trips?

I just had success with my snug bug flats by sweet iris, on our 4 hour one way trip. Baby wasn't fussing, so there, back and a few errands, I changed twice. She's almost 1.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:54 PM   #4
NEkalmia
Registered Users
seller

Just use our regular diapers. I usually pick something quite absorbent. If poo is likely, I pick something with good coverage. And I add a fleece liner for comfort if it isn't stay dry.
NEkalmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:18 AM   #5
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

All we have are regular diapers. I have never had specific night/travel diapers. WE use the same thing for everything. Just add doublers as needed

We routinely travel. I just used our regular diapers and never had an issue.

If I was slightly concerned I would just add a small doubler.

To visit DH's family was 3hrs one way. We did that there and back in one day.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:39 AM   #6
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Right this second I would use our PUL solution with a doubler maybe - sewn osocosy flat with suedecloth and add in a 4oz hemp doubler. I use the 3oz doublers for daycare cause sometimes she'll be in a diaper for 1.5hr and then she'll will do a nap and sometimes she was leaking during nap.

For us there would be a stop to BF during 3.5 hrs though so they would probably be one diaper change. So I probably wouldn't even bother with doubler
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 08-08-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:04 AM   #7
lapedestrienne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For car trips I just use our everyday diapers. My LO wouldn't stand to be in his carseat for 3 hours straight anyway--we definitely have to stop at a rest area for stretching and nursing if we're on the road for more than an hour or two.

For our upcoming airplane trip (a 4-hour leg and a 3-hour leg with a 2-hour layover in between), I think I'm going to use up the last of our babyshower sposies. I'd feel a little bad for the people next to me if I were hauling a big wet bag full of soiled prefolds in addition to the usual baby gear.
lapedestrienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:28 AM   #8
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

I would personally use a PUL cover if you have one. Because I know if my babies are sleeping in the car, I'm not going to stop to change a diaper! Wool may have compression leaks?
I just use our regular diapers (BG pockets) with a small hemp doubler for long car trips. I change as often as we stop. (Every 2 hours or more if she is drinking a lot). That way if she does fall asleep and we don't stop quite as much, it's no big deal. You can do it! Just make sure to bring extra clothes so you don't stress if you do happen to have a leak.
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:35 AM   #9
swrlgrl105
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just use my typical pocket diapers... but if you are looking to save on space... you can do a few covers and flour sack towels to pad fold in... super trim and take up less space in the diaper bag
Old 08-11-2014, 10:55 AM   #10
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What works well for you for that long at home (perhaps during naps or a portion of the night)? Can you make a stop to stretch your legs & do a diaper change on the way there?

I never used bulky diapers I could compress with my fingers in a car seat - especially not if it required letting the straps out any more as most night combos do. We primarily used sposies when traveling longer distances because of a preference to be able to completely dispose of any stink. Otherwise we used our fav AIOs/ai2s & stopped for changes about every 90 min to be safe.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote