Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-07-2014, 10:59 PM   #1
callejon87
Registered Users
seller

Spotting after stopping progesterone?

Curious if anyone has been on progesterone (particularly suppositories) and had spotting/bleeding when you stopped? Lots on google about this, but not many people actually came back to their post to share how things ended up.

I'm 13 weeks, took the suppositories from weeks 8-12. Stopped a week ago and had spotting when I just went to the bathroom before bed. I know it can be fine, but it seems so random having it now. Hadn't had sex, no cramps. I plan to call my doctor in the morning. (I have had two losses at 9 and 5 weeks, one healthy baby with no medical intervention for that pregnancy at all.)

Advertisement

Mama to Myra (Jan '13), FPIES
callejon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:07 PM   #2
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
I've been on progesterone for three of my six pregnancies.

I stopped them at 13 weeks and I too feared that something would go wrong. I didn't have any sporting when I did spot.

I'm sure you are fine

Just give the dr a call in the morning. Ask if you can come in for a hb check just to ease your mind

I invested in a Doppler after my second mc
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:53 AM   #3
callejon87
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmom
I've been on progesterone for three of my six pregnancies. I stopped them at 13 weeks and I too feared that something would go wrong. I didn't have any sporting when I did spot. I'm sure you are fine Just give the dr a call in the morning. Ask if you can come in for a hb check just to ease your mind I invested in a Doppler after my second mc
Left a message with my doctor and a friend offered to loan me her Doppler I will get it from her tomorrow. Spotting didn't continue so far.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:39 PM   #4
seton
Registered Users
seller

Re: Spotting after stopping progesterone?

Why did they take you off? Many people who have progesterone insufficiency during the first trimester have placenta's that don't produce enough progesterone, either. Leading to preterm labor or even loss. I would suggest you have your doctor test your levels again to see if you still need additional supplementation. That being said...spotting is very common during pregnancy and majority of the time does NOT lead to loss.

Sent from my iPhone using diaperswappers.com
seton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:47 PM   #5
callejon87
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by seton
Why did they take you off? Many people who have progesterone insufficiency during the first trimester have placenta's that don't produce enough progesterone, either. Leading to preterm labor or even loss. I would suggest you have your doctor test your levels again to see if you still need additional supplementation. That being said...spotting is very common during pregnancy and majority of the time does NOT lead to loss. Sent from my iPhone using diaperswappers.com
My level at 8 weeks was lower than ideal, but not "dangerously low." My doctor had no reason to even check it, but I asked after my bloodwork out of curiosity so she ordered it just to see. I carried my first child with a very uneventful and non medicated pregnancy. so I guess the logic is that it was just helping support the pregnancy but not a big medical history or anything. Still no more spotting so hopefully that was all!

Old 08-09-2014, 09:28 PM   #6
callejon87
Registered Users
seller

Found HR on Doppler - all seems to be well!

Old 09-17-2014, 12:49 PM   #7
AmandaHW
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had my progesterone checked at 8 weeks and was doing Crinone gel suppositories (following IUI, no history of progesterone problems but my RE did them routinely for IUI patients who use a trigger shot). He told me to go ahead and come off before the first tri was over, as my progesterone was so high it was obvious that my body did not need the additional suport. When I came off, I did have spotting and it scared me...but it turned out fine. Lots of women on fertility friend had the same issue, so I definitely don't think that spotting necessarily means that something is wrong...hang in there!
Old 09-22-2014, 08:44 PM   #8
callejon87
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaHW
I had my progesterone checked at 8 weeks and was doing Crinone gel suppositories (following IUI, no history of progesterone problems but my RE did them routinely for IUI patients who use a trigger shot). He told me to go ahead and come off before the first tri was over, as my progesterone was so high it was obvious that my body did not need the additional suport. When I came off, I did have spotting and it scared me...but it turned out fine. Lots of women on fertility friend had the same issue, so I definitely don't think that spotting necessarily means that something is wrong...hang in there!
I'm 20 weeks now and everything looks great!

Old 02-25-2015, 09:45 PM   #9
callejon87
Registered Users
seller

Just an update in case anyone searches this issue like I did. Healthy two week old baby boy dozing off to sleep right now - spotting was nothing serious at all

Old 02-27-2015, 01:21 PM   #10
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:

Such a great update,congrats!