Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-08-2014, 07:35 PM   #1
hannahbuns
Registered Users
seller

Hubby asked about Testosterone

So, I was really surprised yesterday when my husband brought up the fact he was considering taking testosterone supplements or injections for his doctor. I'm sure that it wasn't easy for him to get up the courage to bring up this subject so I made sure to listen and be supportive. He said he feels like his energy is very low, he is gaining weight, and even mentioned having low sex drive. I was honestly a little relieved to hear our lack of sex wasn't all in my head!

Does anyone have experience with your husband taking testosterone? I am a little nervous about having our first baby due at the end of September. Could the supplement make him more agitated or impatient with a newborn?

P.S. He is only 27 years old, so I definitely didn't see this coming.

Thank you Mamas! He would kill me if he knew I asked this publicly lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using diaperswappers.com mobile app

Advertisement

hannahbuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:44 PM   #2
saraley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Hubby asked about Testosterone

My husband is 28- and has brought up the same thing to me....and I have had similar thoughts as you about being relieved about the lack of sex etc... although, he has brought up he hasn't taken the steps to actually go see a doctor yet, but has agreed to start taking supplements that you can take over the counter.... sorry no advice on actually taking it but wanted to let you know that you are not alone in having a hubby with that issue (and is relatively young)... we have one child who is 2 but have really been struggling to conceive #2.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:23 AM   #3
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:
Please just be careful with testosterone, it can be very dangerous if you don't need it and the only way to tell is a blood test. A few years back it was marketed as the wonder cure and any male issues could be solved with it from weight to hair growth (even some women were taking it) but it is a hormone and can cause problems if it isn't in balance. The best place to start is with your doctor and basic blood work. Dh was concerned a while ago he may have low testosterone but his was fine and taking even the OTC supplements would have thrown his system out of whack.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:40 AM   #4
Shawkins930
Registered Users

Natural ways to increase testosterone

Cut sugar and processed carbs

Eat foods with cholesterol (eggs and steak)

Sleep!

Zinc

Vitamin D (sun exposure without sunscreen)

Lift heavy weights

Morning intercourse

Sent from my iPhone using diaperswappers.com
Shawkins930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:31 AM   #5
saraley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by booty hunter View Post
Please just be careful with testosterone, it can be very dangerous if you don't need it and the only way to tell is a blood test. A few years back it was marketed as the wonder cure and any male issues could be solved with it from weight to hair growth (even some women were taking it) but it is a hormone and can cause problems if it isn't in balance. The best place to start is with your doctor and basic blood work. Dh was concerned a while ago he may have low testosterone but his was fine and taking even the OTC supplements would have thrown his system out of whack.
I want to clarify that when I said my husband opted for over the counter supplements prior to seing a doctor- I meant a multi-vitamin, formulated to help sexual health, and maca- no actual testosterone
Old 08-09-2014, 09:42 AM   #6
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Low energy, weight gain, and low sex drive could be a thyroid or adrenal issue, and not tied at all to testosterone.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:27 AM   #7
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by saraley View Post

I want to clarify that when I said my husband opted for over the counter supplements prior to seing a doctor- I meant a multi-vitamin, formulated to help sexual health, and maca- no actual testosterone
I wasn't referring to your post, I am sorry if it came across that way. I was mentioning the OTC things because around here it is everywhere. I have no idea if they actually contain testosterone but they are advertising like they do. We also have many places where you can go and get testosterone supplements . They have a clinic but more like a gym. Not sure if they are run by doctors but the staff certainly aren't medical professionals. I wish I could link on my phone, they are strange and many people think they are dangerous.
Totally ot but what did your dh take? My dh is looking into the maca and I hadn't heard of it combined with other things. Does he like it,I know the ttc mamas say their dh's like it but I wondered if it works long term. We aren't TTC but I have heard it helps with energy and strength training.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:40 AM   #8
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Those symptoms could also be Couvade syndrome.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:12 PM   #9
saraley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by booty hunter View Post
I wasn't referring to your post, I am sorry if it came across that way. I was mentioning the OTC things because around here it is everywhere. I have no idea if they actually contain testosterone but they are advertising like they do. We also have many places where you can go and get testosterone supplements . They have a clinic but more like a gym. Not sure if they are run by doctors but the staff certainly aren't medical professionals. I wish I could link on my phone, they are strange and many people think they are dangerous.
Totally ot but what did your dh take? My dh is looking into the maca and I hadn't heard of it combined with other things. Does he like it,I know the ttc mamas say their dh's like it but I wondered if it works long term. We aren't TTC but I have heard it helps with energy and strength training.
I bought the maca seperate from the multivitamin, not sure if he likes it yet- just started
Old 08-10-2014, 12:00 AM   #10
mayliz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There could be lots of reasons for low sex drive in both men and women, including stress, basic personality or a medical situation. At his age, I am not sure a doctor will jump the gun to prescribe something without doing a full assessment. Has this situation been going on for a long time or is it a recent development?
mayliz is offline   Reply With Quote