Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-09-2014, 06:28 AM   #1
lilkidteach
Registered Users
seller

What do I need for a Newborn?

I know I don't post on here often, but I read here everyday, and I really need your help.

I have just been told that I am most likely getting a newborn foster baby girl in three weeks. I have never had a newborn before, the youngest I have ever had is the 2.5 year old girl I have right now that came to me at 11.5 months. I have only know for a couple of days and my brain is swimming with all the planning and what I need. I plan to cloth diaper right away, but I don't know if her babysitter will be willing yet, I need to talk to her.

As of right now I have:

-Over 30 one size diapers-I want to get newborn but not sure how many. I will have to figure out what kind after I talk about it with babysitter.
-Random assortment of bottles maybe 5 small and 9 large size
-Swing
-Pack and Play
-Rock and Play http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20
-Small assortment of blankets
-3-4 sets newborn clothes
-small assortment of 0-3month and 3-6month clothes
-Ring sling (not sure I like it long term) but definitely want some carrier

I know I need a car seat I am going to post that question on the car seat forum. I have no idea how many diapers, bottles, clothes I will need. Is there anything else I need? Or any advise I really have no idea what I am getting myself into.

Advertisement

lilkidteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:11 AM   #2
GreenHome Sewing
Registered Users
Formerly: Jonah Baby
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What do I need for a Newborn?

My absolute must-haves for newborns were:

Some type of rocker/bouncer. We had a very simple no frills one that was snug and "enclosed", small enough to transport around the house easily (not the flat backed ones with toys all over it IYKWIM, my kids knew how to flip right out of those by 3 months old)

Swaddlers, like Kiddopotamus brand, that just velcro right around them. So quick and simple, kept their arms out of the way, kept them warm and happy and snuggled.

One of my kids HAD to have a binky handy. I generally find if they don't take to a binky within a few days after birth, they aren't likely to want/need them. You'll have to wait and see how this babe arrives to you.

Bottles clothing and diapers depend on how often you are going to wash them. Some babies are really bottle picky and some aren't. Finding out what this one has experienced should help. Chances are good baby has been given the ready to serve formula bottles (like Similac makes) because it is the easiest to use at hospital and transitioning through caregivers/fostering.
For clothing I loved one piece outfits, sleepers/sleepnplay types, newborn nightgowns for middle of night changes, etc. Some of the clothing just depends on your climate but generally the smaller they are the easier one-piece snapped between their legs type clothing is. Some of the cheap Walmart/Garanimals zip-up sleepers left marks on my babies inner legs, go for the annoying snaps instead.
Hats! Newborns need little hats/caps. I found sometimes even cooler summer temperatures would warrant the need for a thin cotton one, especially at night time if you're out.

Blankets, I would get only a few of the small sized flannel/cotton ones and then try to find some flannel/cotton/thin in a small toddler size (or those waffle type blankets are nice!) They grow out of the little ones fast and we always had too many anyway.

Waterproof pads. Lap sized, bed sized, stroller sized, any size...just get them. Especially while you figure out the best types of cloth diapers to use. Saves a stupid amount of laundry hahaha

I personally hated the ring slings, love my MeiTai carriers. It is all personal preference. Some carriers like Beco and Ergo have infant inserts that work for newborns too, but overall a good carrier was absolutely priceless for me.

I found that newborn sized diapers were way too difficult for me, too expensive, never fit right, etc...not to discourage you but I used disposables until they were 4-6 weeks old and began fitting right in small gdiapers, small covers, smaller sized pockets or some small made one size pockets, things like that. We had a few small fitteds too but I never found the love for them.

A rocking chair/glider.

Gerber thicker prefolds to use as burpies, diapers as emergency back-ups (trust me, it happens!), and they can be passed through a few kids until ending up in your un-paper towel/rag bin. Keep many, keep them everywhere! Some babies are just spitters and droolers and poopers and the money spent on these will never be wasted because they are so multi-functional. We have a bunch in our un-paper bin that went through two of my aunt's kids, all three of my kids, and several years of rag duty. They are still holding strong and look better than my worn-out nice kitchen un-papers do!

As for advice...I am sure you'll get lots of it. My one piece to offer that most won't think of, is to find a sound machine (like a womb sounds bear) or one song you might like to sing/hum. Start early, do it often. My first has a womb bear, sounds long ago broken, that he still sleeps with at 7. My second was sung "You Are My Sunshine" consistently and at age 4.5 I can still hum it to calm him down when he gets all worked up. I neglected to do such a thing with my third, I think because I was nursing her to sleep for a long time and single parenting the three of them...mind blanked on it? She has been the worst sleeping child I've ever dealt with though!
Old 08-09-2014, 09:57 AM   #3
lilkidteach
Registered Users
seller

Thank you for all of that!

I do have one swaddle (don't know the brand). And a few blankets I can swaddle with.
I wanted to get some pacifiers but I have no idea how to pick what brand :-) I have an Onya carrier but it starts at 15# so I will need the infant insert, work with the ring sling or get something else... I would love a rocker but not sure we can afford it right now...

Water proof pads are a good idea, I have some but the two year old is using them a lot lately, I may need more. The sound machine is good too, we live in a ranch so some noise dampening is probably good.

Clothes, I like to wash once a week, but I understand it may be more with a little one especially in the beginning. She's due early September and I'm in IL so it will start getting cooler pretty soon after I would think.

I am lucky to have friends who may be able to give/lend me some things but I'm not even sure what to ask for :-)
Old 08-10-2014, 01:56 PM   #4
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

You actually need very little for a newborn and it sounds like you have a good assortment of necessities. I would wait until you get the baby to buy anything else so you can just see what you need with HER. You probably need a pacifier but I wouldn't buy a bunch, just one, to see if she likes pacifiers at all and if she likes that one. She will most likely take a pacifier if she is bottle fed.

It is wonderful that you will have this child to love and care for. It is sad that children are born into the foster system but thank goodness for loving people like you.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:30 AM   #5
MommaMolly
Registered Users

My Mood:

I agree, you don't really need much for a newborn. I have a two month old, so the newborn stage is fresh on my mind. It sounds to me like you have everything you need, with the exception of the diapers. You probably will need 12/day, so I would think you'd want 24 newborn cloth and plan laundry every other day. For us, we only used newborn until her cord stump fell off at ten days, then moved right into our small cloth stash... Depending on the size of the baby, it might be more cost effective to use disposables for the first few days. Then once you know how big the baby is you can decide whether it would be a good investment to buy newborn cloth dipes or if you'll move quickly into your one size stash.

Blessings to you - how wonderful of you to care for this sweet little babe!!
MommaMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:52 PM   #6
dressagemom
Registered Users
seller

I love love love my aiden and anais swaddle blankets. I just have the cotton ones, not the bamboo. My DS just turned 1 year, and I can still wrap him in them when it is time for him to sleep. He isn't picky about pacifiers, so I have an assortment. My personal favorites are the glow-in-the-dark ones from MAM. He also has a couple from GreenSprout, and one from Avent. I suggest you pick up a few brands, and try them out.

I'm in MI, so a little further north than you. I suggest a few cotton sleepers, some cotton onsies, some socks, some flannel receiving blankets to catch spit-up, and a few cute outfits. The amount of clothing you need may depend on how long you end up fostering this child.
dressagemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:54 AM   #7
nellycakes80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Dd is 8 months and if I had to do it over I wouldn't of bought her more than 1 or 2 cute outfits to meet people and bought all one piece pajamas, she lived in those! I agree with pp's, you don't need much.. A carrier would be great and also a bouncer to put her in.. I didn't have a rocker, I'll just lay down next to dd if I need.. If decide to do nb dipes I would suggest gmd wh, the nb and sm sizes are affordable and work well until lo fits into os.. You can buy gerber or circo pajamas in 2 packs for about $8 at target👍 Good job mama!!

Sent from my SGH-M919
Old 08-23-2014, 09:43 AM   #8
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

Babies technically just need to be warm, dry, loved, have a full tummy, a safe place to sleep, and these days a car seat unless you live somewhere that you don't have a car. Remember that when our grandparents were raising our parents, it was still common to put a dresser drawer on the floor, line it with a blanket, and that was where baby slept. For your sanity there are some other things you might want, but needs are really very few.
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:02 PM   #9
MyKylie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM Cloth View Post
You actually need very little for a newborn and it sounds like you have a good assortment of necessities. I would wait until you get the baby to buy anything else so you can just see what you need with HER. You probably need a pacifier but I wouldn't buy a bunch, just one, to see if she likes pacifiers at all and if she likes that one. She will most likely take a pacifier if she is bottle fed.

It is wonderful that you will have this child to love and care for. It is sad that children are born into the foster system but thank goodness for loving people like you.
Agreed!

K R M
MyKylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:01 PM   #10
lilkidteach
Registered Users
seller

Thank you all for your ideas. They have helped a lot. I was very lucky and a friend gave me tons of clothes so I don't think I will have to worry about that. For now I think I have everything I need except some more diapers. Both of our baby sitters are willing to do cloth Yay! Everything else will have to wait until she gets here next week. We are defiantly excited but also very nervous.