Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-09-2014, 05:05 PM   #1
gingersnappy
Registered Users
seller

Should I choose my next baby to be a boy or girl?

I had a successful fresh IVF cycle with genetic testing, and have 3 genetically/chromosomally normal embryos- 2 girls and a boy- now frozen. Do I balance our family and have a boy (to join our now 19 month old girl), or have another girl? My husband doesn't care. This will be the last child though, we only want 2 kids. Honestly, I'm a little worried about having a girlie girl, but our DD acts like a tom boy right now, and I love camping and hiking myself -and I'm a girl of course :-).
Do I just go with best looking embryo and see what gender it is?

Advertisement

gingersnappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:33 PM   #2
mommadeeof4+
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Oh my gosh, that's crazy that you can choose! Does it feel weird to you that you are able to do pick which gender your child will be?! I am so ignorant about this stuff, I had no clue that was possible lol. I have 4 girls and 1 boy and I feel so incredibly lucky I have my son, I wouldn't have known what I was missing if I had all girls but I'm telling you, the mother son relationship is pretty awesome Not that a mother daughter relationship isn't awesome as well but its different than with your son, I personally am happy I was given both sexes to experience what its like having both. so, to answer your question I'd go with a boy so you can experience having a son!

Deirdre~married to Joe, the love of my life & Momma to our 5 great kids- Emily {5/07}, Lilly {11/08}, Joseph {7/10}, Maggie {7/12} & Daisy {7/14}
Old 08-09-2014, 05:41 PM   #3
Lyric
Registered Users
seller

Re: Should I choose my next baby to be a boy or girl?

I would say boy also so you can experience both. But in the end it doesn't matter as long as baby is healthy.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:51 PM   #4
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Please, please be open to either...if you go boy & the thaw doesn't go well, I don't want you to feel like you're "stuck" w/ a girl, or vice versa.

I know it's not for everybody, but we didn't find out the sexes of our embryos & are happy w/ our DD1 (via iui) & our ivf twin girls.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:26 PM   #5
gingersnappy
Registered Users
seller

Background: after my DH's vasectomy reversal and 4 unsuccessful fresh IVF cycles, we did genetic testing as a last ditch effort on the embryos for the 5th fresh IVF cycle (resulting in DD). A large proportion of the embryos were abnormal genetically but looked awesome under the microscope and graded quite high- why I kept having failed cycles/biochem pregnancies. When they test the chromosomes, you know the gender :-)
I'm just thrilled I have 3 normal embryos frozen!
For my fifth cycle I had both a male and female embryo placed, and my DD won out I guess (the other one was not a robust looking embryo.) This time we are advised to only have 1 embryo placed due to the relatively high success rates for the genetically normal embryos (60%).
I almost wish we could put one of each in, but only if I was guaranteed just 1 baby
gingersnappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:49 PM   #6
OsweetchildrenO
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DH and I recently had a talk about this (his coworker is doing the same thing, they chose a boy). I can't imagine being able to pick.....I think I would flip a coin or draw out of a hat.

OsweetchildrenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:45 PM   #7
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I would go with the one that looked most likely to survive, I think.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:53 PM   #8
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Tough choice. I desperately wanted both sexes, but after 3 girls, a miscarriage, and the stillbirth of DD1S identical twin I'm just all "babied out". I have zero interest in more babies.

I would probably pick the best looking embryo too.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:38 PM   #9
poppan
Registered Users
seller

For me it would depend on a few things:

- how hard a transfer cycle is for you (I did natural cycle transfers so they were easy)
- how hard you take a BFN
- how much preference you have for one sex over the other

For me personally, transfer cycles weren't a big deal, a BFN would be ok as I know I have another two embryos, and I would prefer one of each, a boy and a girl. So I would transfer the boy embryo first, and if it didn't take I would move onto the girl embryos one at a time without prejudice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
Old 08-10-2014, 06:33 AM   #10
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

BFNs and miscarriages after IVF are exceptionally hard on DH & I. In our shoes we would choose the best 2 blasts. After having twins neither of us could imagine not trying to give each sib a twin when possible. In your shoes, we would of course try again with the healthiest looking blast.

We've done 2 FETs that resulted in a week 10 MC after transferring 2 (one of the 2 took) & a BFN after transferring 1 (these 3 were from our cycle with our twins). Our 3 IVF cycles resulted in twin girls, a failed cycle with nothing to freeze, and our little boy due this Dec (transferred 2 & had nothing left to freeze). All of our cycles were with young donor eggs that had the best chance of resulting in healthy blasts.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote