Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-13-2014, 05:27 PM   #1
sdsalyer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Mommy Time Out!

I have an 8 yr old son that I'm HSing as well as a 4 yr old daughter and a 8 month old son. Schooling my son is going well, but the issue I'm having is needing a break for myself. My husband is on call and works many long hours which leaves me with the kids a lot. I'm finding it very hard to have a balance that includes me in it. I'm starting to resent them being home all the time and I often go back and forth in my mind wanting to send the 8 yr old to public school and the 4 yr old to preschool. I feel guilty for even feeling that. I have no family and unfortunately no friends near me. I really believe homeschool is what is best, but I'm not feeling mentally or emotionally healthy about the whole situation. What does everyone else do to balance?

Advertisement

Old 08-13-2014, 11:16 PM   #2
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mommy Time Out!

Is it possible to institute a mandatory quiet hour in the afternoon when the baby naps? Kids in their rooms reading, listening to audiobooks, playing quietly, etc. and you can take a short break. You obviously can't leave, but sometimes some quiet moments can make the difference. I hope it gets better.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:23 PM   #3
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yep I second the quiet time. I put that into action when my oldest have up his naps right before dd was born. I don't care of you don't sleep but you will be having some quiet time in your room.

This is not only for you but also for them
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:24 PM   #4
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

For starters, I would say you have to reach out and either find some friends that can help you out, or find a reputable nanny business that also helps you find babysitters. If you don't go to church, but are comfortable with a babysitter or mother's helper that does, check in with some local churches and see if you can connect with someone that way.

My husband is military, so is sometimes gone for months on end, and if I didn't have friends to help out, I don't think I would survive.

I did just think of something else. As much as possible, once the kids go to bed, do something for you. Unless it just absolutely HAS to be done, leave the dishes, the toys, the laundry, etc, and do something for you, whether it be reading a book, taking a bath, watching tv, playing on the computer, or whatever else you enjoy. Even if you don't do that every night, do it at least twice a week and see if that helps.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:54 AM   #5
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

I agree wth others. We do a mandatory quiet hour after lunch every day, and we also have everyone in their rooms by 8:30pm at the latest. They can stay up later than that, but I don't want to see them again until 7:00am (this is said with love ). I do not do any work during those times--it is just for me (and DH if he is home).

I really love reading, so I also try to always have a good novel I'm working through.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:34 AM   #6
Mommy2JandS
Registered Users
seller
seller

We used to have quiet time when my kids were younger because my DS gave up naps at 3 and DD (who was born when DS was 3) never napped well. It was how I survived the day. Now they are old enough to play more on there own so we don't do that anymore, but definitely it helped me get through.
Also, as tallanvor said, I don't do housework or anything after the kids go to bed. That is the time DH and I either chat, watch a TV show together or just chill out.
We have no family close enough to be of regular help either so I know that is rough. Can you join a local mom's group, church or homeschool group that would allow you to meet some friends. My local mom's group was very important in my early days of being a mom. It gave me opportunities to take my kids to play with other kids and I could socialize and share with other moms.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:21 AM   #7
lilysmom2011
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmom
Yep I second the quiet time. I put that into action when my oldest have up his naps right before dd was born. I don't care of you don't sleep but you will be having some quiet time in your room.

This is not only for you but also for them
^^^this
lilysmom2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:25 AM   #8
sdsalyer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I am implementing mandatory quiet time starting today! I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks for all your advice! I the type of person who likes to be alone and quiet to reflect and recharge. I'm over stimulated very easily so some daily down time will help greatly.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:16 PM   #9
lehcar_27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i teach Zumba....i have childcare at the gym i go to.....have you thought a gym membership? that way you get YOU time and the kids can have some playtime?
Old 08-14-2014, 03:34 PM   #10
sdsalyer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I don't think I would leave my kids in a child care like that. Especially not my 8 month old. I just don't trust others that well with my kiddos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehcar_27
i teach Zumba....i have childcare at the gym i go to.....have you thought a gym membership? that way you get YOU time and the kids can have some playtime?