Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-14-2014, 08:52 PM   #1
DreamInGreen
Registered Users
seller

Sleep?

TMI warning!
Our sleeping situation has progressively decompensated. I've been wondering if it's teething but it's been weeks now. (And there's no tooth) My little one WAS sleeping in his P&P then crib when we moved into our new place. Id say most nights he'd sleep in there, and some nights he'd cosleep. At most he did 4-6 hour stretches, waking to nurse or for diaper change. Then he'd wake every 2 hours, then I couldn't even put him down- so I've been exclusively co-sleeping. But he's waking up anyway about every hour. It's a sad cry, so I assumed pain (teeth?). At this point, my husband is bonkers. I'd like for the little guy to rest. I don't feel like I'm at any breaking point mentally. I feel like to co-sleep at least lets me sleep... But this isn't the way I expected things to be. And I'm not willing to do CIO techniques. I genuinely feel like the baby is disturbed when we cosleep. I know he (baby) wants to sleep close sometimes, but I feel like if we do it exclusively, he's not getting all the rest his growing body needs. I'm torn up bc DH is clearly at his breaking point. Just want to vent I guess- and take any thoughts on why you think my little guy may be waking so frequently...

Advertisement

Old 08-16-2014, 09:19 AM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

How old? Could it be a growth spurt? Anxiety about the move?
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:53 PM   #3
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sleep?

Sometimes they just don't sleep for long stretches. Babies aren't really supposed to anyway. Will he nurse back to sleep?
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:05 PM   #4
saraley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My little guy did exactly what you described off and on his whole first 18 months- he just turned 2 and still does it occasionally, but not as intense... I know when he does it now it is teeth bc he almost always has a new tooth the next day, but when he was younger he didn't get his first tooth tell 9 months- so I am not sure. Sometimes it did help giving him Tylenol after the 3rd waking In a short period but sometimes not. We didn't really co-sleep but there were nights I just brought him to bed with me bc I didn't know what else to do. I did find that sometimes it helped if during the day I tried to lessen his stimuli, when it got really bad

Not sure if any of this helps but sometimes it is nice to know that someone else's baby did that too- and there isn't anything wrong..
Old 08-17-2014, 05:14 AM   #5
DreamInGreen
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
How old? Could it be a growth spurt? Anxiety about the move?
He's 7.5 months (will be 8 at end of this month). We moved at beginning of June. Could it still be related to that? Maybe separation anxiety?
Old 08-17-2014, 05:15 AM   #6
DreamInGreen
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM Cloth View Post
Will he nurse back to sleep?
yes! Thank goodness it's the only thing to get him back to sleep.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:18 AM   #7
DreamInGreen
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraley View Post
I did find that sometimes it helped if during the day I tried to lessen his stimuli, when it got really bad
Not sure if any of this helps but sometimes it is nice to know that someone else's baby did that too- and there isn't anything wrong..
Thanks, it does help to know I'm not alone! I have been carrying him (in sling and on my back) more often since this started so he is close to me most of the day.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:51 AM   #8
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

no you aren't alone. my son hasn't slept in a bed by himself as he is way too attached to mommy and the food.

Could be a number of things that have been said and you have to be patient and let it work out. I know my son I can't drop off at the church nursery anymore either without him crying the whole time.

I know when we had more kids my husband had to get used to the fact that mommy was needed more so by the kids and most of the time kicked out of bed because kids took over and wanted mommy. That was tough I think for him.

mine at 18 months cries til hysteria if we try to CIO. Will climb the gate to get to mommy.....

as a song states by Toby K, " You're gonna miss this..." I keep trying to tell myself that too as sometimes Could move past this stage faster....

Last edited by abunchoflemons; 08-17-2014 at 05:56 AM.
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:06 PM   #9
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It sounds to me as though he's waking between his sleep cycles and needing help getting back to sleep. IME, it's not a matter of being in pain or hunger. It's just that the baby doesn't know how to just turn over and go back to sleep the way we do. Mine seemed to start this around 7-9 months. My first I could just give him his pacifier back. My second ended up night weaning around that time and then slept beautifully. My third I waited until 12 months to night wean. My fourth has magically gone back to 2 hour stretches.

I don't know why they can sleep well when they are younger and then get into this waking every hour and (in my babies' cases) want to nurse back to sleep. It's exhausting and frustrating, because there really is nothing in particular that is "bothering" them other than they fell asleep nursing and want/need to refall asleep the same way.

I recommend doing a search on baby sleep cycles and using that information to decide what you want to do in your case. I also recommend the No Cry Sleep Solution book. It never got my babies to sleep through the night, but I UNDERSTOOD what was going on with them.