Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-15-2014, 08:36 AM   #1
sarahnforrest
Registered Users

Thoughts on posting baby on Facebook ?

I feel pretty strong about keeping my kid off the internet for as long as possible. People go over board with baby pics on social networking sites nowadays. This generation is going to have their whole lives posted on the internet and it's not even their choice and without their permission . I am glad that the only documentation of my life on the net starts with me being about 18 years old and even still , looking back there are many embarrassing moments . Baby pictures are sweet and they are such innocent little creatures! I feel I need to protect my ds from the world for as long as possible . I feel that if someone wants to see my baby they should come over an visit . I always tell ppl not to post our pics on Facebook but sometimes I find that they do anyways without a second thought . It's frustrating because I want to delete Facebook but i need to keep it so I know when and where my baby's picture ends up on the internet. Iv even had strangers post pics of my baby and I was not happy ( not a total stranger but it was a visitor at my moms house whom I didn't even know his name ) . Anyways , this post may make me sound uptight but I just wanted to know what your guyses thoughts were about the subject ! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using diaperswappers.com

Advertisement

sarahnforrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:58 AM   #2
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Thoughts on posting baby on Facebook ?

<P>&lt;P&gt;We post pics of our kids on FB. But, no one gets away with posting pics of our kids without permission. Even then, they must tag DH and I so so we're aware of what is shared and, can ask for it to be removed after it has served its purpose or if it annoys us. 1 of my MILs has been instructed to not bring her phone/camera around us because she refuses to respect our decision. After the same MIL then started copying &amp;amp; posting pics from my FB on her page she was unfriended. &lt;/P&gt;</P><P>&nbsp;</P><P>99.99% of people are friendly &amp; understanding when we tell them about our decisions. People are very nice about removing pics, tagging us, or simply not posting them to begin with.</P><P>&nbsp;</P><P>in your case I'd be annoyed that someone who isn't close to you had the nerve to even photograph your kid without asking first. </P>

Last edited by raymark; 08-15-2014 at 09:07 AM.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:17 AM   #3
sarahnforrest
Registered Users

I also had a friend come over an I specifically told her my wishes about not posting him on fb ... Sure enough , last night she did and then played dumb about it saying she thought it was ok sometimes ... Ya , sometimes by me or his daddy .

There was also the day coming home from hospital .. I was a mess after c section and baby was only 2 days old ... My younger step sister had ended up posting about 30 pictures of that intimate time in my home with my infant child .. I found these pictures on her profile a few weeks latter just by chance . Didn't ask permission or anything and there were a LOT of

Old 08-15-2014, 09:17 AM   #4
sarahnforrest
Registered Users

Pics . Oops my son pressed send lol anyways this is my on going rant

Old 08-15-2014, 09:42 AM   #5
Pal2012
Registered Users

Thoughts on posting baby on Facebook ?

I post pictures on my Facebook page which is set private because I have family all over the country and they love to see their pictures. Facebook has helped me stay in touch with family and has been a blessing in that way. However I do not post updates on my daughter medical issues or really anything about her disorder on Facebook. That I feel is her private information to share if and when she ever wants to.
Pal2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:01 AM   #6
sarahnforrest
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymark View Post
<P><P>We post pics of our kids on FB. But, no one gets away with posting pics of our kids without permission. Even then, they must tag DH and I so so we're aware of what is shared and, can ask for it to be removed after it has served its purpose or if it annoys us. 1 of my MILs has been instructed to not bring her phone/camera around us because she refuses to respect our decision. After the same MIL then started copying &amp; posting pics from my FB on her page she was unfriended. </P></P><P>*</P><P>99.99% of people are friendly & understanding when we tell them about our decisions. People are very nice about removing pics, tagging us, or simply not posting them to begin with.</P><P>*</P><P>in your case I'd be annoyed that someone who isn't close to you had the nerve to even photograph your kid without asking first. </P>

Yah I agree about them tagging you . That's a must . How else are u to know that your child is on the net public property ?

Old 08-15-2014, 10:17 AM   #7
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I guess it doesn't bother me. I have limited FB friends and my account is set to private. I have family that lives several states away that we only see every year or two - this allows them to keep up to date on the kids. Honestly I like that is so easy to keep everyone up to date on what the kids are up to. I know that this summer the kids have ended up on the libraries FB page (with no names attached but even a first name wouldn't bother me) for participating in various things there and I didn't bat an eye about it. That info is public info. My kids pictures are in the local newspaper and I don't bat an eye about that (and the paper is available online too so more than just print) and their names are attached to the picture.

Life has changed a lot since I was a child and I accept that. Social media and more pictures are just a fact of life so I roll with it and as my kids get older and start using the internet more I will do my best to teach them to be smart about what they put online.
Rhianna'sMommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:42 AM   #8
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

I live overseas, I used to blog, facebook is certainly a better option for sharing your lives with loved ones.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:46 AM   #9
sarahnforrest
Registered Users

I agree with sharing pics with family . I use picture messaging on my phone to do it because everything on the internet is public property . I guess my big deal is when other people post without our permission or when we specifically tell them not to

Old 08-15-2014, 11:11 AM   #10
lilannies mama
Registered Users
seller

We do not facebook here & I told everyone there would be no pics of my dd online at all. She was in the nicu at birth for 50 days & very sickly looking. I get a call from sil just saw your baby on facebook she looks almost dead are you ok. My mil had posted it. The hormones took over she got the rage of me just having an emergency csection at this point I hadn't even seen her myself. People were about to be in danger lol! I don't like it at all maybe when she's older but our family lives all near furtherest is 20 mins away none ever see her
lilannies mama is offline   Reply With Quote