Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-07-2007, 11:14 AM   #11
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

Re: EC

I just started w/dd who is 18mo old. She was waking up dry from naps & overnight so I figured I’d put the potty out and see what happened.
She popped on it first thing. And has been ever since that day. We’ve only missed 2x and both were clearly OUR fault for not listening to her.

I just got the books from the lib yesterday so I don’t know what they say but I’ve been treating it like housebreaking a puppy. When she wakes up, before & after meals and before bathtime.

We’ve JUST started carrying a potty w/us on outings b/c I think it was confusing to have her tell me she needed to potty and for me to say just use your diaper.

Since I work, our success rate isn’t that high for pees but I’m THRILLED not to have to change/wash any poopy diapers.

Rather than PT, I think of it more as “Introduction to the potty”. That way, I don’t get hung up on the # of misses vs catches etc.

Make sense?

Advertisement

Mamma to the best dd 10/05 and Expecting #2 edd 11/29/09 and 2 furkids!
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:59 PM   #12
TaivensMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For me it's watching for ques (Skye kicks and grunts when she needs to use the bathroom and makes a high pitched cry when she has to pee) and she knows to go when I hold her a specific way over her potty, she doesnt actually sit on the toliet. here is an example of the hold I use (not my actual picture just got it off a website)
Old 06-08-2007, 01:26 AM   #13
nanddhanson
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaivensMama View Post
she knows to go when I hold her a specific way over her potty, she doesnt actually sit on the toliet. here is an example of the hold I use (not my actual picture just got it off a website)
We still use this hold and my DS is 25 lbs! He doesn't like to sit on the potty because we've always held him this way--his potty cue is the hold, not a sound like it is for some. We started to EC at 2 months and couldn't imagine not doing it. I didn't have a problem with poopie diapers before we started EC, but now that DS poops almost exclusively in the potty, when we have a mess, it grosses me out! I do enough diaper laundry with the pee misses... I couldn't imagine how much more laundry we'd have to do if we didn't EC! If you haven't yet gotten enough "How To" advice, PM me and I'd be happy to share our journey with you.
nanddhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 07:22 PM   #14
TaivensMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanddhanson View Post
We still use this hold and my DS is 25 lbs! He doesn't like to sit on the potty because we've always held him this way--his potty cue is the hold, not a sound like it is for some. We started to EC at 2 months and couldn't imagine not doing it. I didn't have a problem with poopie diapers before we started EC, but now that DS poops almost exclusively in the potty, when we have a mess, it grosses me out! I do enough diaper laundry with the pee misses... I couldn't imagine how much more laundry we'd have to do if we didn't EC! If you haven't yet gotten enough "How To" advice, PM me and I'd be happy to share our journey with you.

I agree!!!!!! I am so glad we get all the poopies in the potty so much nicer for her tushie and so much less to clean. She pees so often I am no where near close to catching all of those, but we have poopin' down since she was 4 days old! I wonder how long I will have to hold her like that since it too is her way of knowing she is over the potty...
Old 06-08-2007, 08:18 PM   #15
OrganicMom
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

Getting poops in the potty IS nice! I had to change a poopy diaper tonight (first one in a month) and was thinking how glad I am that she usually poops in the potty. I just have my daughter sit on one of those cushioned potty seats right on the regular toilet. It's getting easier now that she's 2 months and can hold her head and upper body up better.
♥ Check out my very large FSOT and ISO list. I LOVE trades. ♥
OrganicMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:19 PM   #16
bean3
Registered Users
seller

Isn't it incredibly prohibitive to EC? Meaning, you are constantly watching for cues and holding an infant over the toilet and still have to wash peed on and pooped on diapers. It sounds like parental training much more than the child being trained.

I'm reading on here, and it seems most are not trained anyway until the age a kid would normally be potty trained. Besides, if you hold them over the toilet backwards, are they going to start using it on their own backwards as well?
bean3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 06:52 PM   #17
ocanfield
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

[QUOTE=bean3;1251801]Isn't it incredibly prohibitive to EC? Meaning, you are constantly watching for cues and holding an infant over the toilet and still have to wash peed on and pooped on diapers. It sounds like parental training much more than the child being trained.

Isn't all parenting "training"? I mean, the child "trains" you to feed them, and "trains" you to wake up at night, and "trains" you to know when they need comforting. So, how is teaching them to use the potty any different? The more I read about ECing, the more I am drawn to use it with our 17 month old and with our new baby on the way. It really grosses me out when I think about my daughter peeing in her diaper and then sitting in it, even if it is only for a few minutes. I think it's awful that my 2.5 year old nephew hasn't even started to potty train. He absolutely doesn't care if he sits in a dirty diaper. ECing is not only about teaching them to use the potty, it's hygenic as well...even if there is misses, you are still teaching them to use the potty instead of their diaper, you know?

Polliwogs Recycled Wool Slippers
ocanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:09 PM   #18
OrganicMom
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

I think it's just another nice way to communicate and bond with your baby. I swear sitting on the potty is the highlight of my 2 month old's day - she ALWAYS smiles the whole time (I think she likes looking at our row of lights in the bathroom). There's certainly no expectations to get every pee or poop in the potty - just when they let you know and you help them get there in time and get it in the potty - it's a big hooray!
♥ Check out my very large FSOT and ISO list. I LOVE trades. ♥
OrganicMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:41 PM   #19
Aubrey2007
Registered Users
seller

Hello! I know this thread is a bit old, but I just had to pipe in...especially to bean. We started doing EC with our son when he was 3 months old and he was 100% potty trained by the time he was 12 1/2 months old. That's WAY before the standard age here in the states for kids to be potty trained.

Imagine if by the time your child was one, you never had to change another diaper ever? EC is like an evolution with your child. You start out constantly guessing and trying to figure out the cues...then you start to notice things that tell you they have to go. You use timing, like before meals, before bath, after nap time...by the time they're one, even pre verbal they are "telling" you they have to go. My son would come crawl over to me and "grab" himself. I'd say, "Do you have to go potty?" He'd give me a "yup" signal and off we'd go. By 6 months I wasn't changing poopy diapers except maybe once a month. You save tons on laundry and hassle.

Plus, my son is 21 months right now, and not to be disgusting, but with what he can drop off in the toilet...well, woo wee!! My husband and I are both glad we're not cleaning THAT off of his bum every day. I mean my son pooped FOUR times today. (Lots of fruit yesterday. ) And I just wipe his bum with toilet paper and flush it. Can you tell I can't say enough good things about EC? Honestly, when ever I hear things like, "My four year old loves these diapers I bought!" I just cringe. It's work now, or work later. One way gets you to your goal a lot faster, saves you money and time, and helps you take care of your child's hygienic needs from day one. Don't think you can beat that, even if the dipies are cute.
Aubrey
Aubrey2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 06:29 AM   #20
bean3
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey2007 View Post
Hello! I know this thread is a bit old, but I just had to pipe in...especially to bean. We started doing EC with our son when he was 3 months old and he was 100% potty trained by the time he was 12 1/2 months old. That's WAY before the standard age here in the states for kids to be potty trained.

Imagine if by the time your child was one, you never had to change another diaper ever? EC is like an evolution with your child. You start out constantly guessing and trying to figure out the cues...then you start to notice things that tell you they have to go. You use timing, like before meals, before bath, after nap time...by the time they're one, even pre verbal they are "telling" you they have to go. My son would come crawl over to me and "grab" himself. I'd say, "Do you have to go potty?" He'd give me a "yup" signal and off we'd go. By 6 months I wasn't changing poopy diapers except maybe once a month. You save tons on laundry and hassle.

Plus, my son is 21 months right now, and not to be disgusting, but with what he can drop off in the toilet...well, woo wee!! My husband and I are both glad we're not cleaning THAT off of his bum every day. I mean my son pooped FOUR times today. (Lots of fruit yesterday. ) And I just wipe his bum with toilet paper and flush it. Can you tell I can't say enough good things about EC? Honestly, when ever I hear things like, "My four year old loves these diapers I bought!" I just cringe. It's work now, or work later. One way gets you to your goal a lot faster, saves you money and time, and helps you take care of your child's hygienic needs from day one. Don't think you can beat that, even if the dipies are cute.
Aubrey
That was one of the better explanations I have read. Thank you.
bean3 is offline   Reply With Quote