Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-03-2007, 07:53 AM   #1
RJmomof4
Registered Users
Formerly: RJmomof2
seller

My Mood:
coffee and other foods

Okie so what can I eat and drink? Is it the same as being pregnant? I miss my coffee and I like it for the caffeine cos Im so damn exhausted. So can I drink it if so how much?

Also what foods are a no no? I had hot sauce the other day and it seemed to give him a tummy ache.

Advertisement

Old 06-03-2007, 07:59 AM   #2
snangel
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: coffee and other foods

Well the short version of the long answer is.....you can eat whatever you like. If you think about it like this......Take Mexico for an example....people there eat hot/spicy food all the time....they would starve if they didn't while bfing. Trust your baby to tell you. If it upset her tummy, hold off and try again. As for coffee I have drank coffee always. I am now bfing my almost 3yr old and my 10 month old. I drink about 3 cups a day. (usually 2 in the am, and 1 in the afternoon.) It has never bothered them. Alchohol (IMHO) is the only thing you should not consume (in large quantities) then bf. I eat/drink whatever I want. We eat only food that is heaalthy, so I figure they can have a dopey sleepy momma, or a little caffine.....Yup I chose the caffine!
Old 06-03-2007, 10:24 AM   #3
rlsadc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

you can eat whatever you wish, caffiene, alchohol (however, if you FEEL intoxicated, there will be alchohol that is transmitted in your milk, so only nurse when you feel sober) candy and junkfood!

if you notice that baby gets fussy when you eat a certain food, then it maybe because its being tasted in your BM. but be careful not to confuse that with just normal fussyness...

hth!
rlsadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:08 PM   #4
renfairemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I do coffee here but I dilute it. I then do it about half and half. (half water half coffee) Aside from that I pretty much eat/drink like I did when i was preggo. I do have some beer every now and then. I drink it while Im nursing and so by the time he needs to nurse again it is about 3 hours, and its been metabolized. Good luck mama!!!
Old 06-03-2007, 01:11 PM   #5
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here's a link you may find helpful - Good luck and contact a LLL leader for a phone call if ever you are concerned about something, no matter how 'minor' it may seem! Links in my siggy to find a local one
Old 06-03-2007, 01:36 PM   #6
Ali
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep, eat what you like. However, if you notice something causing a reaction in your baby just be smart and limit it for a bit to see if it makes a difference. Also, try to eat healthy. Your body naturally gives your baby very healthy milk, but if you don't eat healthy it could be at your expense since those nutrients will go to the baby first.

Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 01:57 PM   #7
Ellisa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think the most "normal" things babies have reactions to are excessive dairy, caffine, broccoli, cabbage, anything that's REALLY spicey and anything that's a "gassy" food (beans, etc). I just tested different things every week or so. I ate "normally" for a few days and then I'd try one of the things that is on that list. If he was crabby or gassy then I knew it might be that.

Broccoli, cabbage and beans are no-gos for my 4 month old. He's MISERABLE after. But caffine, dairy and spicey things don't bother him at all. Each babe is different. You'll have to "test drive" things to see what bothers him, if anything!
Old 06-03-2007, 05:03 PM   #8
RJmomof4
Registered Users
Formerly: RJmomof2
seller

My Mood:

thanks ladies!
Old 06-03-2007, 06:37 PM   #9
Tootsiemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can have caffeine, but limited amounts. I drink 2 cups every morning, though I have found the Organic is alot easier on my tummy. My dd has never had any issues with coffee. I limit the amount of caffeine I get from other sources as well, coke, chocolate...I'd rather have my coffee that those things lol
Tootsiemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 07:03 PM   #10
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my ds LOVES chilies!
actually my oldest son wont eat bland food- we attribute it to all the spicy food i ate while preggers and bfeeding