Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-04-2007, 06:23 PM   #11
Timetodance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: suspecting SID in ds?

OT is a great idea. I worked with a number of kids who had SID, as well as a host of other issues, and the OT worked really well for most of them.

Good luck!

Advertisement

Timetodance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:28 PM   #12
Christina
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My Sara has SID too, she was diagnosed about a year ago and we are constantly in therapy. I know all too well about the wrestling to unwind but she also has alot of OCD type problems as well. We do have problems with food and things she will eat and the has to be on a schedule or she totally flips during the day. We have sleep issues with it too, don't know if it is related to the SID but night terrors are in big time mode for us.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:09 PM   #13
AddysMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh we were having some night terrors here too. not any in a long time tho, but when she would get them. OMG just terrible terrible screaming, heart wrenching blood curdling screams.
one thing my mom reccomends for children, adults too, with ANY sensory issues is to do some "brushing" there are actually brushes designed for it, though i suppose you could use a regular brush. and you jsut brush the body. from the inner points out. alot of sensory problems are miswiring/misfiring in the brain so stimulating the body in safe ways, like brushing, wrestling, wrapping up in a towel, small blanket like a burrito, etc helps the brain to chill out and lets some of the other sensory issues slide for a while.

let us know if you start seeing an OT and if it helps your sons issues.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:13 PM   #14
babygirlsmom1005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Madeline was diag. with SID awhile ago and recieves thearpy for it with a OT.
Marcie wife to Mike mom to Madeline 10/2005 , Marshall 4/2009 and surprise #3 due 9/2011
babygirlsmom1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:52 PM   #15
AngelMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Alex has a sensory disorder where he needs excessive deep sensory activities integrated throughout the day (every hour to hour and a half). We got him evaluated through Early Intervention, and are starting OT Wednesday. He is getting 8 weekly sessions to start with to help us determine what works and what doesn't, and then together we will be putting together a "sensory diet." We give him opportunities to jump on pillows, and throw himself down, carry heavy things, wrestle, be tickled, etc, frequently and that drastically reduces his "breakdowns" or "bad sensory" days and moments. We also give him popsicles, sour, salty, crunchy, and sometimes spicy things to eat. The variety of strong flavors/ sensations seems to help a lot as well.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:56 PM   #16
mom2kdmb
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer23 View Post
My brother has it. My mom had him go into testing oh... 4 years ago? He's 9.5 now. He always had "weird" issues as a kid. If we tried to get him to eat a banana, he'd puke. Same with a lot of other foods. He can't wear anything other than cotton almost. Wool sweaters literally drive him crazy, he totally flips out.

It's hard to deal with, but as long as you know the triggers for your own kid's problems, then it becomes a lot easier.
it does sound a lot like autism and related disorders....wonder if this is related to vaccines too

Last edited by mom2kdmb; 06-04-2007 at 09:58 PM.
mom2kdmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:59 PM   #17
-Blair-
Registered Users

Currently struggling with infertility (recurrent pregnancy loss).
-Blair- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:14 PM   #18
mrsbehaven007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I dont know anything about it.. just wanted to send hugs and support
mrsbehaven007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:34 PM   #19
Shadowwolf549
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by faerybugmady View Post

By the way, her pedi thinks it's as a result of her prematurity. She had a nervous system that was too immature to be bombarded by the stress, noise, lights, and feel and smell of the nicu. Preemies are at a VERY high risk for SID.

I didn't know that preemies were at a higher risk. Thanx so much for telling me. We are having one of out preemie (31 wks 6 days) triplets evaluated for autism/SID. It sounds like he fits right into the SID moreso than the Autism though. He is very sensitive to loud noises, crowds, etc. He loves to jump and bounce, he rubs or bangs his head or rocks himself back and forth to calm himself. When he has one of his breakdowns...it HURTS me...there is nothing I can do to help him and it just breaks my heart. Especially when I try to hold him and he just screams b/c he doesn't know what he wants.
Angie Luckiest Lady in the world. Married to SAHD Justin , Mama to Jaden 10/10/03 and triplets Jeremiah , Jaren , Giavanna 09/15/05 and Gabrielle 08/12/13. We are one big, happy, Jesus loving family!!

Last edited by Shadowwolf549; 06-04-2007 at 10:37 PM.
Shadowwolf549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:37 PM   #20
janendragon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2madolyn View Post
it does sound a lot like autism and related disorders....wonder if this is related to vaccines too
i would have thought that, since ds had his first 6mth ones, but these behaviours were there as a newborn.

SAHM to my crazy toddler
janendragon is offline   Reply With Quote