Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-04-2007, 10:01 AM   #1
Steve's Wife
Registered Users
seller

Have you taken a road trip ALONE with DC?

We're going to visit my mom in July. We could fly again but I can't afford the infant fare (actually more round trip than mine!) and flying w/ Julie in my lap makes it tough to pack, especially in summer when we could use baby pools, outdoor swings, etc., since we'll only get my three checked pieces. So am I crazy to think of driving? It would normally be just under 7 hours, but with a toddler there will be lots of stops, so probably 8 1/2 hours. I'm crazy, right?

Advertisement

Last edited by Steve's Wife; 06-04-2007 at 10:03 AM.
Steve's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:04 AM   #2
mom2kdmb
Registered Users
seller

Re: Have you taken a road trip ALONE with DC?

cause I won't dare try it yet
mom2kdmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:12 AM   #3
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

No, your not crazy. I took DS on a 1,000 mile car trip (Central Wisconsin to Southern Alabama) when he was 2 months old.. we drove straight through on the way down which was about 16 hours. Well, technically I wasnt alone.. but I was planning to go alone w/ ds.. my parents refused to let that happen though, so they made my 16 yr old little sister come along with me. I also took DS from WI to Ft Leonardwood MO (about 8-9 hours or so) last August (he was 8 months). Like you, we cant afford the costs of flying so we drive. I say go for it.. just pack lots of things to keep your DC busy, and plan for plenty of stops.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:17 AM   #4
Steve's Wife
Registered Users
seller

There is a chance my 16 year old brother will be visitng me for a few weeks before we go and drive out with me, so that might be helpful. He can hand her food and toys and stuff so I don't have to tke my eyes off the road. He could drive a little too but it makes me nervous, a new driver on the turnpike. I'm definitly considering it.
Steve's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:21 AM   #5
kimsclothkids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Don't stress, take lots of breaks, and enjoy the time together. Remember, there will never be another today and she will never be this age again. Have fun!
WOHM to NoahJacoband MeganLoving wife to my #1 man, Aaron I have a one of a kind family and a one of a kind life and I'm loving every minute of it!
kimsclothkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:23 AM   #6
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It depends on her age. When my DD was 1 1/2 years old my dh and I took a road trip with her 1300 miles/20hrs normally. She actually moved the driving time to 24hrs! Even this past summer the actual driving time was 24 hrs.
Anyway I would not have made it through that trip without DH.
But when she was 4 mos old I made numerous trips about 2 1/2 hrs away and it was no problem. But I also have no airbags upfront(old van) and I put her up there with me rf ofcourse...no flames please. We loved it.
We did a 8-10 hr trip with her at 4 mos also but dh was along and we needed him. By the end he had to sit back with her be cause she wanted out. She was done lol That was the last 2-3 hrs of the trip.
I personally would fly and just make it work. You don't need the swing and pool. It would be nice to have sure but a need...nah. Maybe your mom could buy a pool there? Or you can mail yours?
Good luck!
Old 06-04-2007, 10:44 AM   #7
momtomaximusandjackson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we used to live in Charlotte, NC and my parents are in NJ. I drove 10 hours with Max alone and I was 11 weeks pregnant. (Max was 2 1/2.) We also drove back 4 days later. Take breaks every 2 hours and every time you cross a state line, give them a new car friendly toy. (coloring book, book, sunglasses etc.) We had a portable DVD and TONS of snacks which helped a lot! We stayed o/n both ways in Virginia. GL momma!
momtomaximusandjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:51 AM   #8
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

When I had one child I did it all the time. But she was really good in the car, too. We had so much fun together. My next 3 kids have all hated car rides. Un-American, I know.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:24 AM   #9
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have traveled 6-7hrs alone with ds (1 time was even at night for an emergency I HAD to get back home for) We try to make as few stops as possible, but stop when we have to (ds to cranky, I have to pee, etc)
Dh and I travel together with ds every couple of months to go home 6hrs to his parents and than another 1hr to my parents. We just got back from a trip together and we stopped 1 time and that was only like 2hrs into the trip. Ds is now 2 and we have been traveling with him (either me alone or with dh) for the full 2 yrs now (it was over a 16hr drive for us the 1st time we traveled with him before we moved).. In a few months we will be doing it with a 2yr old and a newborn....and yes I will do it myself if I want to or have too also.

Good luck mama and it can be done
Old 06-04-2007, 11:41 AM   #10
mama23boys
Banned
seller

we are doing it in a few weeks...about 6ish hrs to from S.Or to about an 1hr south of Reno. the plus side is that i iwll have the 2 older ones with me but i'm sure it will be longer bc of stops to let him strech and what not.
mama23boys is offline   Reply With Quote