Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-05-2007, 09:00 AM   #21
Braggarmywife28
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Have you taken a road trip ALONE with DC?

Last summer when hubby was deployed i decided to take my then 10 month old on a road trip from Ft Bragg NC where we live to Philly PA where i'm from to visit fam for the 4th of July.This was about an 8 hour trip...BIG MISTAKE!!Not to sound negative but omg it SUCKED so bad...she screamed probably 6 of the 8 hours each way.Which baffled me because i thought babies liked to sleep during car rides?But yeah it was a miserable experience.But every child is different so don't let other ppl's horror stories stop you.Just sharing my experience

Advertisement

Braggarmywife28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:04 AM   #22
luvmykiddoes
COOP HOSTESS
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Not crazy at all. We took a road trip last summer with my 7 and 3 year old. We drove from Dallas, TX to Washington DC. Caleb did great. Tabitha, my 7 year old, was the one that wanted to stop every hour. I'm driving to San Antonio this weekend with my now 8 year old and 4 month old. It's a 5-6 hour drive.

luvmykiddoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:10 AM   #23
ce&E
Registered Users

I think this is really dependent on the child's age and temperment. When my ds was a newborn we took him on 2 different 400 mile trips and he was fantastic. Then last summer (he was about 8/9 months old) the same trip was a total disaster! He screamed for hours and wouldn't sleep. Since I was alone I just had to keep driving but it was horrible. He now refuses to sleep in the car, ever, so I am not going to repeat the solo trip this summer but I might be willing to try again with someone else with me.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:20 AM   #24
Steve's Wife
Registered Users
seller

DD will often fall asleep in the car so I think I can count on her sleeping at little of the way. And we'll stop and play for maybe 30-45 minutes along the way. I have a good friend whose family lives about halfway and she's offered to let me stop at their house. They have a farm and DD would probably love to see the animals, but I've only met them twice so it might be kind of weird. i donno.
Steve's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:28 AM   #25
dancnfool
Registered Users
seller

I traveled with my dd alot from the time she was around 6mo till now (4). We have driven up to about 10hrs and flown about 6 times. I got a HUGE suitcase (think waist high) so that I could put pretty much everything in one instead of juggling several. Have to watch the weight max/bag.

Driving - I would drive 1.5-2 hrs and stop 30min. Repeat. While potty training - I brought the plastic potty. Never know when you are going to be stuck with no good options!

It would make the 10hr trip to my parents take about 14. We would usually stop for an hour when we had to do meals. I also knew where certain good stopping stops were. Malls with play areas. Petsmart stores are also a hit.

Good luck!
I'm worried b/c now there are 2 of them and I'm getting ready to do two driving days back to back. I'm sure when I get back I'll have some more ideas created out of chaous!
dancnfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:53 AM   #26
ihvnangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have had many trips alone with my children. I bet you'll do just fine. One thing I do on long trips is beforehand go to a dollar store and get some age appropriate toys, books, food etc.. Then wrap it up and when they start getting a bit fidgety I will say it's present time.. They get to open one and that keeps them occupied a bit longer... Next present in a few hours!! Good luck!
Old 06-05-2007, 10:03 AM   #27
kissum
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

We just did It was a 12 hour drive normally, and I did it in 2 days. Really, we didn't have to make a lot of extra stops. I did have to sing Old McDonald approximately 500 times, but other than that it was really easy.
Whenever she started getting really fussy, we stopped. I kept a big box of toys in the passenger seat and handed her a new one whenver she got bored.
She did really well. And when we did stop, we stopped for at least 45 minutes or so. rest stops are fabulous b/c they can run around.
Good luck! Just remember to give yourself plenty of time and be flexible.
kissum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:27 AM   #28
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
This way I can bring all my dipes, a stroller, a baby pool, the outdoor swing, and all DD's favorite toys
Don't take too much stuff. chances are high you won't use the majority of it, especially the toys.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:45 AM   #29
LeighaGrace
Registered Users

The hardest part is when you have to pee you have to take baby with. Other than that it's not so hard. I have done it. Just make your car is in good shape. A breakdown would be a pain.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:02 AM   #30
Steve's Wife
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
Don't take too much stuff. chances are high you won't use the majority of it, especially the toys.
I don't know, I think we will. My mom will be working during that day so I'm looking forward to lounging in the backyard while DD plays in the baby pool. She also loves her swing haning in the tree And she's gotta have some stuff to play with. The stroller I can do without and probably won't have room for anyway. Oh, we're going for 2 weeks at least.
Steve's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote