Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-05-2007, 02:27 PM   #31
momof4in2007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Have you taken a road trip ALONE with DC?

when we moved from SC to NJ I ahd all 3 of my kids while my dh had the dog...ummm wrong with this pict??
Anyway, it went pretty easy...my dc were 7,4,1 but they slep most of the way...lots of crayons, action figures and couple dollar store supprises!!

Advertisement

Old 06-05-2007, 04:14 PM   #32
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've done 20 hr road trips with the kids - never alone though.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:40 PM   #33
YummyYarnAddict
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd actually rather drive it alone than with another adult since I have my system down (I'm a single mom from the beginning). First, I plan my route and figure out what time I'm going to hit the road and what my stops are going to be. When I was travelling with one and she was an infant, it was super easy because I would just leave at, say, 2 in the morning and slip her into her carseat and drive until she would wake up for b'fast (i.e., morning nursing session) around 6am or so and I would have planned to be somewhere to stop at a restaurant for b'fast. Now with two, I put them to bed in sweats and warn dd that she has to pee before we hit the road and she barely stirs to go potty and I slip them into their carseats in the wee hours in their comfy sweats, the car's all packs complete with snacks and I hit the road until they stir and need to burn off some energy. By that time I've been on the road for at least 4 hours -- sometimes 6 -- and I need a break too. If all's gone according to plan and the weather's in my favor, we're near food, a park, and we can stop for an hour or maybe even two before hitting the road again, depending on how far we have to go. Sometimes I can even plan it so that we meet up with friends along the way and it's a lot of fun.

Take out your road map and see what you can do. Plan ahead and if you're comfortable with early morning travel and possibly riding along with trucks on the interstate, I would highly recommend that because the kiddos are sleeping. Also try to plan in breaks and take advantage of their nap times for you to drive in peace and load up on the kiddie cds for music and if you have a portable dvd player handy, use that as well. Know where your rest stops are ahead of time and have a list of the cheapo motels are just in case because you'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
YummyYarnAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:59 PM   #34
Leximom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I drove from Modesto to San Diego, usually about 8 hours...we got there about 10 hours later. Way more bearable than a flight imo. I am never flying alone with her again...EVER!!!!