Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-06-2007, 11:13 AM   #1
newmom91403
Registered Users

My Mood:
Solids and bfing

My DD is 7 months and just isn't into her solids. It is like every 4 or 5 days she'll eat her cereal or pureed veggies but the days in between she spits and blows raspberries until I give up. She nurses well but some nights she wakes up hungry. With my first daughter I never had a problem with the transition and was still able to nurse her to 15 months. I have no intention of giving up the nursing but a little freaked she isn't getting enough to eat or nutrition since they say start on solids between 4 and 6 months. Are there any other mommas out there mainly nursed past the 6 months.
Thanks

Advertisement

Old 06-06-2007, 11:18 AM   #2
tawnia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Solids and bfing

All my kids have gone through the "raspberry" stage between 7-9 months! At that point I start letting them have little finger foods like cheerios, banana and peach dices, and even some small diced table food. If she's sitting well and can pick it up and mush it with her teeth/gums, she might eat more if you let her do it herself.

Really, though, there isn't any problem (nutrition wise) with her just nursing.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:51 PM   #3
uk2usa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawnia View Post
If she's sitting well and can pick it up and mush it with her teeth/gums, she might eat more if you let her do it herself.

Really, though, there isn't any problem (nutrition wise) with her just nursing.
I agree
Some babies just aren't interested though, so it's ok to hold off for a couple of weeks and try again. I know some mums whose babies didn't have solids until 10 or 12 months. Nutritionally breast milk is all they need. Solids are more for social development...
I found with dd2, I didn't have the time to sit with her and eat like I did with dd1. I think that can make a huge difference when starting solids.

Good Luck
uk2usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:55 PM   #4
amariebaby1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Isabelle does not 'prefer' solids. she'll eat them for dh occasionaly, but if i am around she wants to bf if she's hungry. i end up having to bf in the middle of the night as well sometimes. but i'm not worried about her not getting enough - she's huge now!
amariebaby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:50 PM   #5
geez0pete
Registered Users
Formerly: sm***ff

My Mood:

Remember, starting a baby on solids at 6mo. is only a suggestion like saying dc CAN have egg whites at 1yr. It's not a must-do yet, especially if dc insn't really interested.

geez0pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:57 PM   #6
moobiegirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

my ds is 7.5 months and he only eats an ice cube of solids once a week or twice sometimes. i'm home alone most of the time and he prefers to nurse instead of eating. however, he does like to eat biter biscuits and fruit puffs. i'm not pushing solids just yet because i don't think he's 100% ready and also i'm off for the summer in 1.5 weeks so i want to be the one feeding him instead of school. do what you feel your dd is ready for. good luck!
moobiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:55 AM   #7
newmom91403
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moobiegirl View Post
my ds is 7.5 months and he only eats an ice cube of solids once a week or twice sometimes. i'm home alone most of the time and he prefers to nurse instead of eating. however, he does like to eat biter biscuits and fruit puffs. i'm not pushing solids just yet because i don't think he's 100% ready and also i'm off for the summer in 1.5 weeks so i want to be the one feeding him instead of school. do what you feel your dd is ready for. good luck!
Thank you everyone. I feel much better. This has been exactly what she has been eating about 1-2 mini cupcake pans worth a week.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:37 PM   #8
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

Well, breastmilk or formula should be her main source of nutrition for at least a year, so don't worry if she doesn't eat solids. My first boy was exclusively breastfed for 10 months and so far my 8 month old baby hasn't had solids.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:30 PM   #9
Priscella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If she is waking up hungry, just nurse her. My DS1 nursed through the night well past a year in age. I didn't have a problem w/ that, or course I was co-sleeping so that made it alot easier, I just rolled over and gave him the nip while I feel asleep again.

He wasn't intreseted in solids untill about 6 months and it was very slow going.

If you baby also seems hungry alot, seems as though she is going through a growth spurt, just keep nurisng her.
Doula and CBE In Training (CBI)
Priscella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 01:04 AM   #10
nanddhanson
Registered Users

My son just turned 1, yay! He's still nursing almost exclusively for his caloric needs. He'll eat a bite or two at every meal (then refuses or spits out anything else), and he'll take Cherios almost any time of day or night. He's huge (25 lbs, 31 in) and I'm tiny so it's been difficult maintaining my weight, but my son is happy and healthy so it's all okay with me!
nanddhanson is offline   Reply With Quote