View Poll Results: Do you use a wet pail?
Yes 14 5.05%
No 263 94.95%
Voters: 277. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-04-2007, 02:46 PM   #1
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

I'm using a wet pail!

DH brought home a big plastic bucket from work a few days ago for me to use a as a wet pail. I have found the best way to prevent stains is to soak the diaper right away, and up until now I have been using a big plastic bowl, but it was too small and kept getting overfilled. I'm not going to use it for all the diapers, just the poopy ones. What I do is when there is a poopy diaper I dump it the toilet, rinse it in the sink (sometimes scrub it with a little white soap depending on what kind of diaper) then throw it in the wet pail which I keep in the corner of the bathroom.

I was thinking maybe I should put something in the water in the bucket, maybe TTO, vinager, oxyclean... any ideas?

Here is our new wet pail!

I know it's been done before but I want to add a little pole to see how many use a wet pail system...

Advertisement

#3 Coming Oct. 2015!
Ooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:53 PM   #2
Leximom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I'm using a wet pail!

I could so see my dd being curious and pulling diapers out of a wet pail if I had one I thought that wet pail were bad for the fibers
Old 06-04-2007, 03:00 PM   #3
FancifulFanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did it every once and a while when I was using cloth for a family I nannied for but we have a frontloader so I don't think it work too well for us.

I know people say it's bad for the fibers but I wonder how worth it it could be in terms of stains and odors. kwim? We expect cloth to last but it won't last forever no matter what we do and if we end up boiling it or throwing it in the dishwasher that has got to be bad for it too. The reality is this fabric gets peed and pooped on and it can't really be treated like a load of delicates.
FancifulFanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:01 PM   #4
Nutmeg
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use a wetpail for my wipes (they're budget baby washcloths from wal-mart so I don't care about them at all!) and poopy fleece liners, but not for diapers. You'll need some vinegar in there to keep bacteria from growing and getting stinky, but from what I've heard, vinegar is no good for PUL or elastic(at least for soaking for long periods of time), so I personally drypail my pockets and other stuff. HTH,
Old 06-04-2007, 03:09 PM   #5
lunamoth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

From what I have heard, people who "do" wet pails have odors!

I throw all the poopy diapers & wet diapers together in a regular old step pedal lid kitchen garbage pail from Bed Beth & Beyond. The garbage pail is lined with a pail liner that is made of PUL. (shiny side OUT)

Then the whole entire mess gets dumped into the washer, including the liner, every 3 or 4 days. Cold water rinse, then hot water wash with extra rinse at the end. I have no problems with odor, nor do I have any serious staining. Any stains that stick around come out when laid on the outside table in the sun for a day.

Side note: Your pail isn't covered...once Baby is mobile, s/he could drown very easily in there.

lunamoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:10 PM   #6
MommytoJandS
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't use a wetpail, I just dump the poo in the toilet and then rinse the rest of it off and I've never had a problem with stains.

Wetpails scare me, I'd be afraid a curious little one would fall into the water and not be able to get out of it. I'd get a lid if you are going to use a big bucket like that.
MommytoJandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:12 PM   #7
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leximom View Post
I could so see my dd being curious and pulling diapers out of a wet pail if I had one I thought that wet pail were bad for the fibers
That is Why DD is not allowed in the bathroom unless we are in there with her, she goes right for the toilet with whatever item she can steal from her daddy's pocket

I have always soaked poopy diapers, I'd rather do that than have stains, especially when your talking about custom and botique diapers that are expensive and not replaceapble.
#3 Coming Oct. 2015!
Old 06-04-2007, 03:13 PM   #8
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathan'sMommy View Post
I don't use a wetpail, I just dump the poo in the toilet and then rinse the rest of it off and I've never had a problem with stains.

Wetpails scare me, I'd be afraid a curious little one would fall into the water and not be able to get out of it. I'd get a lid if you are going to use a big bucket like that.
We do have a lid, and the pail is taller than she could fall in, and she is not allowed in there with it
#3 Coming Oct. 2015!
Old 06-04-2007, 03:14 PM   #9
mrsbehaven007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use a dry pail method... what I do is.. potty ones throw in .. dirty ones.. I dump.. rinse and throw in .. till wash time I have yet to have a stained diaper
mrsbehaven007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:15 PM   #10
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just wash a pooped in diaper right away. I couldn't deal with a wet pail. Blech! ETA: Even though I wash the pooped in diapers within 5 minutes of him pooping and getting changed we STILL get stains. I think it all depends on your kids poo and if you use stain fighters or not. If I used shout or something, they wouldn't stain. Past that, we get them.

Last edited by JustAugust; 06-04-2007 at 03:16 PM.
JustAugust is offline   Reply With Quote