Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-04-2007, 06:12 PM   #1
GoddessWifeMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Spent the afternoon in the ER! UGH!

Well we spent the afternoon in the ER today with DD.

She had 3 BIG break through seizures today and 1 partial. Then had some weird twitching/shaking after for about 10 minutes. Plus she's had some weird things going on besides that so we decided to call our Dr.

We got an appointment then they called back and told us to go to the ER

We debated on just driving the 1.5 hours to the Children's Hospital where her Ped Neuro is but decided that we would just to go our ER here incase something worse happens on the drive.

We should have just gone the 1.5 hours to the Children's Hospital.

6 hours waiting in the various waiting rooms only for them to then tell us that it's too late for them to really see anything she seems fine now so go home.

Crap Crap Crap is all it is.

I'm calling her Ped Neuro tomorrow to talk with him. But it's just so frustrating.

Advertisement

Old 06-04-2007, 06:39 PM   #2
crunchymomof3
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2boys0608
seller

My Mood:
Re: Spent the afternoon in the ER! UGH!

so sorry momma
crunchymomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:46 PM   #3
momma2two
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Im so sorry to hear that mama ((hugs))

Check out my Etsy site!!
momma2two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:53 PM   #4
amielia80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am sorry... How many seizures does she typically have? I am guessing you just started a new med if these are "break through"...my prayers are with you and DD! I hope they staighten everything out.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:18 PM   #5
cotton_jmb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm so sorry to hear about this mama. It must totally break your heart.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:18 PM   #6
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Old 06-05-2007, 07:21 AM   #7
GoddessWifeMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amielia80 View Post

I am sorry... How many seizures does she typically have? I am guessing you just started a new med if these are "break through"...my prayers are with you and DD! I hope they staighten everything out.
She actually started this med in December, she only had seizures in the very beginning of going on it then they stopped.

Then these now.

But she has been sick with an ear infection that we didn't find out about until it was about to burst as the Dr. put it. She's been on antibiotics for 5 days now though so it's gotten much better. We were just worried that the infection had gotten worse and that's why she had the seizures, but no that would be too easy.

She been acting "off" for months now though. I had been chalking it up to the terrible two's but I'm going to call her Ped Neuro today and just tell him everything.

Gotta write it all down first though.

Thanks everyone for the it's hard because it's like the Dr.s at the ER don't know how to handle her they talk to her like she's 6 to try to calm her down and I'm thinking "she can't understand what you are saying, use less complicated smaller sentences she's 22 months"

Old 06-05-2007, 07:47 AM   #8
sesa70
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I HATE the ER. I wont go unless dd is blue and cant breathe. They usually screw everything up! I cant believe that they would have made you wait that long... a child seizing should be seen immediately, not made to wait at all! Not to mention that I have found, I think b/c of liability, no matter what, when you call a dr and something is wrong or off, they will always tell you to go to the er. Now I tell them, I refuse to go to the er for this, can you help me or not? *sigh* Ok over! LOL!

I hope your dd feels better soon. Being sick does lower the siezure threshhold, making her more prone to seizures. IME so do some antibiotics. So that could be why you were seeing some breakthrough. Not to mention your dd is little so she may have had a growth spurt and her meds may need to be adjusted? Could you ask your dr for an emergency prescription for Diastat? So that if this should happen again, you could give her the diastat and safely drive that distance to the childrens hospital avoiding the er completely?
Old 06-05-2007, 08:23 AM   #9
GoddessWifeMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesa70 View Post
I HATE the ER. I wont go unless dd is blue and cant breathe. They usually screw everything up! I cant believe that they would have made you wait that long... a child seizing should be seen immediately, not made to wait at all! Not to mention that I have found, I think b/c of liability, no matter what, when you call a dr and something is wrong or off, they will always tell you to go to the er. Now I tell them, I refuse to go to the er for this, can you help me or not? *sigh* Ok over! LOL!

I hope your dd feels better soon. Being sick does lower the siezure threshhold, making her more prone to seizures. IME so do some antibiotics. So that could be why you were seeing some breakthrough. Not to mention your dd is little so she may have had a growth spurt and her meds may need to be adjusted? Could you ask your dr for an emergency prescription for Diastat? So that if this should happen again, you could give her the diastat and safely drive that distance to the childrens hospital avoiding the er completely?
That is a TERRIFIC idea for the Diastat. That would be excellent.

See this is why I post so many smart Mamas with so much more experience!

We don't have high expectations for our ER. When DD was 6 months she had her emergency CT, after she had her first ever seizure, and she had anaphylaxis to the Chloral Hydrate and stopped breathing 3 times. While we were waiting in Triage a teenage boy came in with his parents. He had been seizing for 20 minutes with very short breaks in between. They rushed in and he was in his fathers arms seizing he put him down on the floor in between the doors to the ER, there are the two sets, not a single nurse Dr. NO ONE went out to look at him or help them NOTHING.

It was eye opening and heartbreaking.

They casually walked over a couple minutes later.

The triage nurse also that night told DH & I to come get her if DD stopped breathing again but "I might be too busy to help you" WTF!

We feel totally dumb for going yesterday since we knew they wouldn't do anything. It's just hard to figure out whats best.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:56 PM   #10
craftymomto5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile Re: Spent the afternoon in the ER! UGH!

Sorry to hear about your trip to the er. I hope your dd is feeling better now. Our pediatrician told us with the diastat that it really isn't effective unless the seizure lasts longer than 10 mins. My dd started with seizures just after she got her 1st flu shot at 12 mos. She didn't have a fever or anything. Then a month later she had 4 within 12 hours but with those she had a 103-104 deg fever. We did all of the tests and it didn't show anything so she is on trileptal for the next two years. We also have her on a low dose antibiotic as well just to keep any infections at bay. We have a two pack of the diastat just in case but I will probably end up using it on our dogs who have seizures instead of my dd.
Does your dd have seizures mainly when sick or has she been diagnosed with any disorder? I hope everything works out for your dd. It's a shame that your Children's Hosp is a distance away. Our Children's (in Cincinnati) is about 45 mins away from us. I am so thankful for it because they are absolutely fabulous. Their bedside manner with little babies could be a bit better.
craftymomto5 is offline   Reply With Quote