Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-04-2007, 10:21 PM   #1
Mommyof2boys
Banned
seller

Please help me understand...Post Partum Depression?

Ok, I suffered SEVERE PPD with my first DS...and I think it's coming to haunt me again...

DS#2 is 3 weeks old (tomorrow) and I'm feeling sorta bluish...not because of him though...he's a GREAT baby...and a mama's boy all the way!

But with my first, I couldn't really get close to him..I loved him, of course, but I wasn't really ready (had just been married BARELY a year, he was born 4 days after my 1st anniversary, OH, and I was 17, had just graduated from homeschool, after having to quit regular school in the 11th grade from pregnancy complications).

I eventually got through it though, and he became my everything!

Now that DS#2 was born, I thought things would be easier this go around because I knew what to look for, etc...but it's not.

I feel a sort of resentment towards DS#1, and I don't know why! Maybe because I had so many problems after him?

He's really whiney, and I know some of it is because he is jealous, and some is because he's got a head cold/allergies..

But I have NO patience with him (he's 2 1/2, so requires a BUNCH of that) and he seems so sad...today he told me I was his "best fwiend" (best friend), but looked sad while saying it, and he just cries for me sometimes...usually when I am breastfeeding and CAN'T hold him...

I don't know what to do, should I talk to my GYN about meds? I had to go on zoloft with DS#1, I had PPD so bad, and I really don't want to get back to that point again...I CAN'T...I think I'd loose it, really...

My point, I guess that I can't really get across, is that I don't feel connected really, anymore to DS#1, much like after he was first born..but I feel fine with DS#2...so I don't know if this is really PPD or not, since it's not connected to him?

Advertisement

Mommyof2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:27 PM   #2
Shadowwolf549
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Please help me understand...Post Partum Depression?

:bighugs: Mama! I know that when I feel overwhelmed I tend to just disconnect...it's my way of "dealing". I too think I have undiagnosed PPD (my triplets are 20 months) and I fight it everyday. DH doesn't believe in medication. His Mom was severely depressed and tried to commit suicide...so to him if you aren't that bad you aren't depressed. I just found a new doc, so I'll be getting treatment soon too. On the days when I'm stressed and overwhelmed I just don't have the patience to deal. DS #1 is a doll, but when he doesn't get enough attention he gets whiney and hits the babes and such. I do know your frustration Mama!
Angie Luckiest Lady in the world. Married to SAHD Justin , Mama to Jaden 10/10/03 and triplets Jeremiah , Jaren , Giavanna 09/15/05 and Gabrielle 08/12/13. We are one big, happy, Jesus loving family!!
Shadowwolf549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:27 PM   #3
Emily Whited
Registered Users
seller

Just cause it is not towards the new baby does not mean it is not being caused by all the pregancy/post pregancy hormones. Talk to your Dr. tomorrow and get it under control. It is the hormones, you still love your DS and you just need a little help.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:35 PM   #4
AngelMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with PP. When I finally got treatment, I couldn't believe what a difference it made in my life overall. I hadn't realized how far from myself I had gotten. Unfortunately for me, as my OB explained, the pregnancy changed how my body produces seratonin (or no longer does), so medication is going to be a lifelong thing for me. I much prefer that, however, to who I am without it! Talk to your doc and see what he or she says!!
Old 06-04-2007, 11:05 PM   #5
Mommyof2boys
Banned
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Whited View Post
It is the hormones, you still love your DS and you just need a little help.
Thanks so much for getting my point, I didn't really know how to get it across!

Thanks for the support, mamas...I am going to see my OB/GYN on Wed for her to check me out and make sure I'm not developing Mastitis (another fun thing I'm going through ) So I'll be sure to ask her then...

Thanks for understanding and NOT telling me that I'm a bad mom for feeling this way...I'm afraid to tell anyone I know in "real life" because of the responses I'm afraid I'll get...

I still remember how it felt to cry and tell my mom that she helped make my PPD worse the day I was diagnosed...she was all the time telling me how I was doing things wrong, just because I wasn't doing them the way she would..

She's much better about that now, by the way!

THanks again!
Mommyof2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:07 PM   #6
Shadowwolf549
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyof2boys View Post
Thanks for understanding and NOT telling me that I'm a bad mom for feeling this way...I'm afraid to tell anyone I know in "real life" because of the responses I'm afraid I'll get...
ITA!! I have avoided talking about it too b/c I don't want to deal with people's responses. Thanx for helping me to talk about it too!
Angie Luckiest Lady in the world. Married to SAHD Justin , Mama to Jaden 10/10/03 and triplets Jeremiah , Jaren , Giavanna 09/15/05 and Gabrielle 08/12/13. We are one big, happy, Jesus loving family!!
Shadowwolf549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:16 PM   #7
ommelissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i went on lexapro when #2 was 5 months old, and had to quit cold turkey when i got prego again. when i had this baby, i started taking bach's flower essences rescue remedy when i felt overwhelmed.
it helped me to spend some quality time with the "whiney kid" to reconnect and find my joy.
you're totally doing the right thing to open up about it, and you're helping others, too!
ommelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:28 AM   #8
jonsbeka
Registered Users

You poor thing! I can relate as well Huge hugs your way and I hope you can get the meds to help! It's not you. And this is the perfect place to talk since there are other mamas going through it as well
Old 06-05-2007, 03:25 AM   #9
erin_brycesmom
Registered Users
seller

My PPD was way worse the 2nd time around even though I knew about it and what to look for. If you don't want to go on meds, there is a four or five+ year long thread on MDC about natural treatment methods. Mine was mostly caused by postpartum thyroiditis so getting my thyroid to function normally resolves my depression.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:02 AM   #10
HeidiMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hugs to you mama! I can relate to the feelings of resentment toward the toddler. When I had my last ds, my toddler was still nursing and I just got so tired of him wanting and needing me! I'm not sure if it was ppd or not, but I remember feeling totally overwhelmed! Hang in there...hopefully things will start looking up!