Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-05-2007, 07:34 AM   #1
MommaRhi
Registered Users
Co-Op Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:
Age appropriate chores

Hi ladies

since the kids are almost out of school, I plan on making a list of chores for them to do to earn things, like spending $$ when we go somewhere or the privelage to go somewhere special (there are several activities planned between other moms and since some of them require me to pay to go, I thought that it would be an incentive for them to earn the trip).

What would you suggest is appropriate for a 3 yr old boy, 6 yr old girl and 7.5 yr old boy to do to earn things?

Advertisement

Old 06-05-2007, 07:52 AM   #2
BelovedBird
Registered Users
seller

Re: Age appropriate chores

I just had the list I got from my parenting class. I was soerting papers. I must not have "sorted" so well if I lost one.... :lol: Now I can't share that list with you.
Anyway, I googled it, lots of lists out there....
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search
Old 06-05-2007, 08:52 AM   #3
ihvnangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a 6 and 8 yo boys and a 2yo girl, and of course our little 4mo baby at home. My two boys load and unload the dishwasher, fold and put away their own clothes or hang them up. My oldest folds the big towels the younger the smaller towels. They help put away the babies clothes, they take out the trash. They of course keep their own room picked up and vacuumed. They also know how to sweep the kitchen. They are very capable of being helpers and it is so necessary in todays society (I believe).. I went to boot camp right out of high school and I was shocked to see how many people didn't even know how to sweep, or do laundry! They were in for a rude awakening! My children will be prepared.
My boys also help their daddy in the yard with raking, pulling weeds in the garden etc.. I know it sounds like a lot but it really isn't, they get plenty of play time (we homeschool).
Even my 2yo wants to help out, when we are doing laundry she comes over and asks for her clothes to go put up (which we may have to straighten up later! ) She clears her own spot at the table, again not because I really want her to but she sees her brothers do it and so she wants to do it herself... sometimes very messily!!
Old 06-05-2007, 11:30 AM   #4
uk2usa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They can wash their outdoor toys while you wash the car
Wipe down the ourdoor chairs and table
Hang the washing on the line, fold clothes (towels or rags for younger child)
My 2.5 yr old will clean anything if she's given a damp cloth: windows, walls, table, countertops etc.
Set the table for dinner
Sort the recycling
Put groceries away
uk2usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:46 PM   #5
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My kids have chores, but we dont pay them for it. They are members of our household & it is considered a requirement (no one pays me to do it!). I cut out a list of "age appropriate" chores from Parents Magazine YEARS ago now & I have kept it on the bulletin board next to the computer. I'll type it out for ya

2 and 3
  • comb & brush hair
  • get clean diaper & wipes
  • wash & dry hands
  • lather & rinse body (at 3)
  • select clothes from choices
  • put on loose-fitting clothes
  • put on coat (without zipping)
  • brush teeth (with supervision)
  • bring silverware to table
  • wipe up spills
  • pick up & put away toys
  • put dirty clothes into hamper
  • take own plastic dishes to sink

4 and 5
  • pour form plastic pitcher
  • put on shoes (tie shoelaces at 5 to 6)
  • straighten bed
  • empty wastebaskets
  • dust furniture
  • wipe kitchen table
  • feed pet
  • clear table
  • help unpack groceries
  • sort laundry by color
  • help put clean clothes away in drawers or on shelves

6 and 7
  • sweep into a dustpan
  • set table
  • help wash car
  • pupt groceries away
  • help shovel snow or rake leaves
  • remove dishes from dishwasher
  • sort silverware into drawer
  • run shower or bath (at age 7)
  • water vegetable garden and houseplants

8 to 10
  • fold laundry
  • strip and make bed
  • load and and run dishwasher
  • put clean dishes away
  • help care for younger siblings
  • vacuum, sweep, and mop
  • brush & floss teeth unassisted
  • load washer & dryer
  • take out trash
  • weed the garden

I dont have my kids do ALL the stuff on the list & I have them do some things that arent listed. We vary the chores in accordance with their age & maturity level. We do allow them to do "extra chores" (aka things that they are normally not responsible for) to earn time to play their video games but thats all the "earning" they do at these ages.
rowynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:51 PM   #6
MommaRhi
Registered Users
Co-Op Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

wowie thanks Robin. I am sure that you get paid to do things around the house. Ever go to the store and pick up something for yourself? I consider going to get coffee for myself or when I am at Target, I may pick up something like a top or shorts. Its dh's money that he's bringing home, so its like he's thanking me for doing what I do every day. lol I dont plan on giving them $10 for helping out, but we have things planned for this summer (field trips w/ other moms from school) so if they wanted something from the suvenier shop of the museum, they can earn it by helping out and working for it. Just like you have to work for a pay check. I am their boss. LOL

I have to copy down some of these to put on their charts
Old 06-05-2007, 12:59 PM   #7
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

*SIGH* Actually, I hardly ever get anything for myself at the store. Its just not in our budget I did spend $0.49 on a Milky Way dark at Target the other day though....no one else sells them & they are my favorite
rowynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:16 PM   #8
mandikaake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

3 yr old boy, 6 yr old girl and 7.5 yr old boy to do to earn things?[/QUOTE]

The three year old boy can pick up his own toys, sort socks, undies, etc... which is also a great teaching method for beginners math, he can help mommy with "manly" stuff like helping with the trash, open doors, etc.... to help him become a helpful young man. He can also bring dishes to you from the table (of course with a caution of carrying knives). He can also take clothes out of the drier and put them in a basket.

For the 6 year old, here's what my dd does. She can do laundry, wash, dry fold and take to each persons room. She cleans off the dishes, rinses them etc... after she get's them off the table. She can round up the trash, take dirty clothes downstairs, weed the garden, pick fresh herbs, chives, and produce for me, take the mail out to the mailbox, get lunch (although she can't really cook yet she makes sandwiches, etc..), hmmm I know there's more but can't think of it now.

The 7.5 year old boy can also take out trash, help with laundry, set the table, feed pets if there are any, mow the yard, watch the younger siblings if needed, read to 3 year old if he needs to be occupied, hmmm... alot of stuff your daughter can do, but we like to somewhat separate what the girls and boys do. Although it is also good for men to know how to cook, sew on a button and the like things till they get married Have him cook a meal for the family one night a week and go and pick out what he needs for the meal.

Hope that helps some
Old 06-05-2007, 02:37 PM   #9
bean3
Registered Users
seller

We have things they have to do just because they are part of the family: collect laundry, collect dirty dishes, 15-minute pickup (they are the gophers), put clothes away, etc.

Then they have index cards on the fridge with jobs they came up with such as mow the lawn, pick up sticks outside, wash windows, cleanu bathroom, etc. Each job has a kid's name on it (my 6-year-old cannot mow the lawn obviously) or both kids' names on it and a dollar amount as well as a frequency (my boy cannot mow the lawn every day and get paid!).

They are not getting paid for the family jobs, but they are getting a way to make extra money. They love this!
bean3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:47 PM   #10
sahminaz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My kids things they must do but they will never get paid. I think it is wrong IMO to say that we get paid when we don't. I don't consider getting myself a coffee "payment" or an allowance to buy my own clothing. I consider the things that they are required to do responsibilities and not chores. In life you are required to do things for yourself and your home and no one will pay you. Keeping a nice home and body takes work and that is what i am trying to teach my children.