Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-05-2007, 02:53 PM   #11
mandikaake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Age appropriate chores

We do not pay our children for their chores either. We want them to contribute to the family as it is a "group" effort to keep the house running efficiently and for everyone's sanity. We do however give dd money here and there to manage on her own. When it's gone, it's gone. She is also required to tithe, save and spend certain percentages of it. SHe does VERY well and has even put her spending money into tithe because she felt the church could use it. Yeah!

In a couple years we're going to track for a whole year all her needs, then give her a certain amount of money to buy them with. This would include toothpaste, clothing, etc.... If she runs out at the end of the month, well that would be a buggar. We had a family member who did this and it really taught their kids responsibility

Advertisement

Old 06-05-2007, 05:29 PM   #12
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandikaake View Post
In a couple years we're going to track for a whole year all her needs, then give her a certain amount of money to buy them with. This would include toothpaste, clothing, etc.... If she runs out at the end of the month, well that would be a buggar. We had a family member who did this and it really taught their kids responsibility
Great idea mama, thanks!!! (I have a pretty independant/mature 8.5yr old who would LOVE to do this!)
rowynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:36 PM   #13
mrsbehaven007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can tell you what we do ..

4.5 .. takes out trash .. cleans room .. folds / picks up clothes.. gets dirty dishes.. cleans plates to put in dishwasher... cleans rooms.. picks up toys around the house..

3 year old.. cleans rooms.. gets dirty dishes.. sets table ( her and her brothers.. LOL ) folds and picks up towels.. hands me clothes to hang on the line... cleans her room... dusts around the house... ( she is actually pretty good ) folds blankets ... gets clothes out of the rooms for me to wash ..

I give them each a 1$ a week in savings... when they keep up with their work.. plus we go and rent movies.. and have fun day with daddy.

some days they do more than others.. as long as their rooms are clean .. and stuff is picked up .. they get their 1$ if they do everything without me having to ask.. they each get a movie.. and pick out what they want for supper on special night
mrsbehaven007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:40 PM   #14
mrsbehaven007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowynne View Post
My kids have chores, but we dont pay them for it. They are members of our household & it is considered a requirement (no one pays me to do it!). I cut out a list of "age appropriate" chores from Parents Magazine YEARS ago now & I have kept it on the bulletin board next to the computer. I'll type it out for ya

2 and 3
  • comb & brush hair
  • get clean diaper & wipes
  • wash & dry hands
  • lather & rinse body (at 3)
  • select clothes from choices
  • put on loose-fitting clothes
  • put on coat (without zipping)
  • brush teeth (with supervision)
  • bring silverware to table
  • wipe up spills
  • pick up & put away toys
  • put dirty clothes into hamper
  • take own plastic dishes to sink

4 and 5
  • pour form plastic pitcher
  • put on shoes (tie shoelaces at 5 to 6)
  • straighten bed
  • empty wastebaskets
  • dust furniture
  • wipe kitchen table
  • feed pet
  • clear table
  • help unpack groceries
  • sort laundry by color
  • help put clean clothes away in drawers or on shelves

6 and 7
  • sweep into a dustpan
  • set table
  • help wash car
  • pupt groceries away
  • help shovel snow or rake leaves
  • remove dishes from dishwasher
  • sort silverware into drawer
  • run shower or bath (at age 7)
  • water vegetable garden and houseplants

8 to 10
  • fold laundry
  • strip and make bed
  • load and and run dishwasher
  • put clean dishes away
  • help care for younger siblings
  • vacuum, sweep, and mop
  • brush & floss teeth unassisted
  • load washer & dryer
  • take out trash
  • weed the garden

I dont have my kids do ALL the stuff on the list & I have them do some things that arent listed. We vary the chores in accordance with their age & maturity level. We do allow them to do "extra chores" (aka things that they are normally not responsible for) to earn time to play their video games but thats all the "earning" they do at these ages.
my 4.5 year old does most of the stuff on this list
mrsbehaven007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:02 PM   #15
cbmr777
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 9 year old has chores she must do as a member of the family. Our family is a "team" and we all have to pull our weight. Daddy has a job, I clean the house and homeschool them, and they have their chores.

BUT she can earn money if she goes "above & beyond".

My 9 yo's chore chart has these things on it:

* Make her bed
* Brush her teeth
* Brush her hair
* Empty the dishwasher
* Gather the dirty clothes for washing
* Empty the little wastebaskets into the big trashcan (Mondays only)
* Complete in excellence her homeschool lessons
* Bring in the mail
* Put away her clean clothes
* Clean up her bedroom
* Clean up her toys from the common areas
* Set and clear the table
* Feed the animals (fish, cat, dog)
* Take a bath
* Brush teeth
* Help watch her sister (as needed)

(I have brush teeth and hair because she tends to forget and not do it on her own. So I have it on the chart as a reminder.)

Now if she helps *me* with household duties that are extra and done selflessly, then she can earn some money for herself.

+ feedback at: DS, TBW, MDC, and Ebay
cbmr777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:22 PM   #16
mhibberd
Registered Users

My Mood:

I didn't read all of the replies as I am off to bed, so forgive me if these are repeats...

I have not implimented these as a means of DS making money or even really for responibility, but mostly just because he (and kids in general) likes to be helpfull... and not his sister does too.

When I was pg, DS was 4 and I got him to start helping with chores to help me out because I was having so much lower back and pelvic pain.

He would unload the dishwasher. He puts away anything he can reach (pots, pans, plastic containers, plastic pitchers, etc.) and stacks everything he can't reach to put away in like stacks on the counter. This would save me from the repeated bending over that I couldn't do and has become his regular responsibility. And now his sister helps too. We imidiately remove the silverware container so she can't get to those. And she loves to hand the plates to big bro to stack up. and loves to get all the cups out (mom grabs galsses if there are any) and stack them inside eachother and put her sippy cups together too. She is even learning where to put some of the lower things away!

Another task DS learned when I was pg... I would stand facing the washing machine pulling clothes out and dropping them ontop the dryer door (that open downward) without twisting at the waist (a movement I was told to limit) and he'd push them in. He even got to the point of using long tonges to pull the wet clothes out himself and dropping them on the door, closing it up AND starting the drying that I'd have pre-set.

Another good one is to have them unload the drying into one basket and then sort into piles to help mom with the task of folding. I would think that the 6 and 8yo could start learning to fold laundry.

I have a chart for DS that includes
smooth morning routine
dinner without battles
good helper (up to my descretion that he is in general cooperative and helpful throughout the day)
dishes
pick up after self (not leave trail of toys and projects througout the house)
smooth bed time routine

each thing gets a sticker if satisfactory and those are added up for reward. I read somwhere though not to reward children with money for things that you expect them to do, so I am having trouble with the reward system part....

Ok, and from when I was younger... my bro and I are 2 yrs apart. We both were responisble for getting dirty clothes into the laundry on/by laundry day if we wanted them washed. We were both then responsible for putting our clothes away after mom folded them in the laundry room. That evolved into us having to to our own wash completely... although bro got off the hook more often or course.

Also we took turns unloading the dishwasher. Then once we were old enough to mow the lawn, we were to take turns with that. I was unable to do that due to allergies and bro hated the dishes, so he ended up with lawn duty and me with dishes.... but that is more for early teens.

Of course, we were also expected to make our beds and keep out rooms clean. If these were all done fairly regularly without battles throughout the week, we got out weekly allowance.
mhibberd is offline   Reply With Quote