Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-05-2007, 11:30 AM   #1
MrsTorres
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
If you have Paraguard

I have some questions. I think my insurance will cover this and I think it's what I should do. How bad is it to get put in? Do they give you anything for it or how does that work? Ive read that it is safe to use while BFing, has anyone had it hurt their supply at all? Give me your opinion on it.

Advertisement

Old 06-05-2007, 12:10 PM   #2
HBuehler
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you have Paraguard

I didn't want to go that route but went with Mirena...I was having some pms symptoms I wanted to live without as well as af and will never go back!It was nothing getting it put in.I was told I could take some tylenol before but I didn't and had very little discomfort...It took less than 5 minutes from very start to fully dressed.I'm guessing the copper version would be no different getting put in...from what I read on both the procedure is the same...
Can't say about the milk supply since mine is different but mirena didn't affect mine...
Old 06-05-2007, 12:19 PM   #3
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have the Paraguard in. I didnt want any extra hormones so I went with it!

My insurance covered it. I took like 2 seconds to be put in, hurt for a second. Afterwards I had cramps for 30mins but nothing bad. Im breastfeeding 2 kids and have had no problems with supply!

My only complaint is the 1st two days of my period now are so heavy! Before they weren't at all! This only my 4th PP AF also!

I love it and dont even know its there!
Old 06-05-2007, 12:26 PM   #4
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sooooooo knocking myself after finding so many things out after the fact. Re: nursing problems.

Paraguard is my next choice after condoms (if the condoms don't work out). I needed something hormone free b/c of seizure medicine I'm on....interacts with hormonal bc. I'm seriously thinking about it again b/c I have a papsmear I'm due any time for and would be great to just go ahead and be done with it . Too we wouldn't have to worry about condoms coming off or what not. We quit using latex ones and though we like the other kind not irritating me down there it has been hit and miss with how they stay on.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:31 PM   #5
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I got it put in April 2005. Didnt hurt going in at all, was really quick. BUT, I had the WORST periods afterward. 10 day, heavy bleeding, like bleeding through the ULTRA OB tampons & pantyliners, killer cramps...it was terrible, like WORSE than the 2 natural m/cs I had with the bleeding & cramping. I finally gave up & had it removed in October 05. I normally have 3-4 day periods, 2 light, 2 regular days, NO cramps since I was like 12 so it was a big change for me!
rowynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:34 PM   #6
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowynne View Post
heavy bleeding, like bleeding through the ULTRA OB tampons
Thats how my 1st two days are! Though no cramps or anything just very heavy for 2 days!
Old 06-05-2007, 12:41 PM   #7
hackermd
Registered Users
seller

You get it put in around the last two days of your period while you're still dialated. Depending on your OB/GYN office they may ask you to pay up front for it, I believe it's roughtly around $184, a little more than the mirena, but if your insurance covers it you'll get a refund. Always call before hand to your insurance. Ask the office where you'll be getting it put in what the procedure code is that way when you call your insurance you can ask if it is covered. I had BC&BS and Tricare and both covered it the times I had it. (had dd#2 after having the first removed when dh came back from overseas.) I always say to practice touching your cervix that way you get an idea of where it's at and how it feels without your IUD in place. You'll need to check it every month after AF to make sure the strings are still there. After a while of having it in the two strings wrap around each other and so you'll probably only feel one string, it's normal. Heavier flows from time to time are normal, too. I had heavy flow for the first two periods after having it in. I had a situation where the dr put in the incorrect IUD and I had it removed and put the proper one in place within four days... basically it can get put in at anytime, but it's more comfortable for you while you're just coming off AF and your cervix is still a little open. Spotting after having it put in is normal, too.

The IUD will also create a "barrier" sort of a mini mucus plug because it "irriates" the uterine lining and you'll most likely have increased discharge by having it in... it's normal. I have no pain at all, and was able to conceive after having it removed.

HTH.
hackermd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:51 PM   #8
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calideedle View Post
Thats how my 1st two days are! Though no cramps or anything just very heavy for 2 days!
Mine was that way the WHOLE period!! I'd go through more than a 40 box a month when before a box of regulars would last me at least 2 cycles!
rowynne is offline   Reply With Quote