Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-03-2007, 12:47 PM   #1
janendragon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
suspecting SID in ds?

As hes got older and the more i read, the more the peices seem to fit. We are going to talk to my county visiting nurse when she comes next time about getting some help and maybe trying OT. Also in reading, I noticed it fits alot of my "quirks", but obviously, I'm to old for therapy lol so I'll just use some techniques on myself to help.

Do you have any other adivice or BTDT experience?

Advertisement

SAHM to my crazy toddler
janendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:58 PM   #2
mom2kdmb
Registered Users
seller

Re: suspecting SID in ds?

Sorry to sound ignorant but What is SID?
mom2kdmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:59 PM   #3
Shadowwolf549
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2madolyn View Post
Sorry to sound ignorant but What is SID?
I think it's Sensory Integrative Disorder
Angie Luckiest Lady in the world. Married to SAHD Justin , Mama to Jaden 10/10/03 and triplets Jeremiah , Jaren , Giavanna 09/15/05 and Gabrielle 08/12/13. We are one big, happy, Jesus loving family!!
Shadowwolf549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 01:01 PM   #4
janendragon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowwolf549 View Post
yup, thats it.

SAHM to my crazy toddler
Old 06-03-2007, 01:02 PM   #5
mom2kdmb
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowwolf549 View Post
I just figured that out...thanks....here's a web site on it I found...

http://www.comeunity.com/disability/...kranowitz.html

and this one

http://www.epinions.com/content_3714752644
mom2kdmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 01:07 PM   #6
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My brother has it. My mom had him go into testing oh... 4 years ago? He's 9.5 now. He always had "weird" issues as a kid. If we tried to get him to eat a banana, he'd puke. Same with a lot of other foods. He can't wear anything other than cotton almost. Wool sweaters literally drive him crazy, he totally flips out.

It's hard to deal with, but as long as you know the triggers for your own kid's problems, then it becomes a lot easier.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:09 PM   #7
janendragon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer23 View Post
My brother has it. My mom had him go into testing oh... 4 years ago? He's 9.5 now. He always had "weird" issues as a kid. If we tried to get him to eat a banana, he'd puke. Same with a lot of other foods. He can't wear anything other than cotton almost. Wool sweaters literally drive him crazy, he totally flips out.

It's hard to deal with, but as long as you know the triggers for your own kid's problems, then it becomes a lot easier.
thanks yeah, we know most of his triggers, new ones are popping up as he ages though. I think our parenting style helped alot with dealing with his triggers.

SAHM to my crazy toddler
Old 06-04-2007, 01:37 PM   #8
AddysMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Addy has some mild sensory issues, not SID, but i notice that if she is acting out i can use some sensory tools to help her center herself. some good ones for us are rice/beans in a container for her to play in, like sand. water play, squishy balls, balls that have "fingers" koosh balls.
sometimes she NEEDS to wrestle with DH.i cant do it with her, so after a long hard day for her and i DH comes home from work and wrestles with her and it helps her release. she needs that tight physicalness.
i notice that when she gets almost overstimulated on her good sensory items, then she is less sensitive to the bad sensory items.
what are your issues right now?
Old 06-04-2007, 02:19 PM   #9
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Sara has sensory issues too. For a long time it was food things, still a little sometimes. She has trouble with wet or squishy things. Loud noises freak her right out and spark a 10 minute tantrum. Clothing sometimes does it to her so she needs to have only the softest wool covers or pants or shorts and Hanna playdresses. Anything tight on her belly and she has a tantrum. A previous poster talked about wrestling with dh. We do that too. It doesn't work with me. Only him. He's really rough on her and outsiders think he's hurting her but she's hysterically laughing the entire time. She loves being wrestled with and it helps her "decompress." I don't know if it's SID per se, but it's definitely problems with sensory things.

By the way, her pedi thinks it's as a result of her prematurity. She had a nervous system that was too immature to be bombarded by the stress, noise, lights, and feel and smell of the nicu. Preemies are at a VERY high risk for SID.

Last edited by 3rockstars; 06-04-2007 at 02:20 PM. Reason: adding
3rockstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:43 PM   #10
janendragon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks for all the advice and stories guys Ds does seem to respond well to rough play from dh.

SAHM to my crazy toddler