Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-05-2007, 02:40 PM   #1
Registered Users
First words...what age?

I was recently looking at a milestone chart on I don't really pay much attention to what these things say since all babies develop at their own individual pace. But this month something really caught my eye!

8 months... it has listed in the mastered skills column (things that, according to their "experts," most babies can do at this age) "says mama and dada to both parents (isn't specific)."

Now, my son is very very vocal (has been since birth really), but he is not talking yet, just babbling. I don't care, I know his development is right on target, but it made me curious...

Are most kids really talking by 8 months???
At what age did your dc say his/her first word?

ETA: by first word I mean first discernable word that didn't just come out on accident...does that make sense? My son babbles all the time and says things like "mamamamama" and "dah-dah-dah-dah" and "bahbuhbah" a lot but he's not saying them *on purpose*, he's just baby talking and experimenting with different sounds...

mommy to one hilarious preschooler boy (09.06)
and one cuddly toddler girl (05.09)!

i'm a bloggin' mama! Your Fire, Your Soul

Last edited by catilina; 06-05-2007 at 03:22 PM. Reason: clarification
catilina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 03:12 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: First words...what age?

My DD said mama the first time when she was about 8 months old but I don't think she knew what it meant. I teach her sign language and the first time she signed back to me was when she was 11 months old.
cellydaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 03:15 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

Nah, that's just an estimate. it actually depends on the individual child himself and the family situation (ie if more than one language is spoken, even if it's spoken by the sitter it can confuse them). The Kid actually babbled a couple of words by that time probly mamma and dadda but he didn't really start connecting what the word and the person had in common 'till later. He also has been taking his sweet time to talk. He knows the words, we'll hear him say them and then nada. nothing. He didn't really become very vocal until after he was 14 months and we still are working with him to speak. But then again, we're bilingual and I know that he's been understanding everything that he hears in both english and spanish. It's just a matter of him actually wanting to speak.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:05 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

My son is 14 mo now and I don't think he speaks (that he knows what it means). He doesn't babble much either. Sometimes he makes sounds like baba, mama, dada but I still don't think he knows what they mean.
But we're bilingual in the family so that might be different than 'normal' kids.
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:02 PM   #5
KV Boo
Registered Users
My Mood:

My dd said Nana at 8 months. At 9 months she said baba.
Now at 10 months she can also say dada, mama and bad

Mommy to Tatiana 12 years old
Stacy 10 years old and Gabriella born August 3, 2006 My little baby girl!!
KV Boo is offline   Reply With Quote