Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-05-2007, 03:52 PM   #1
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

DS fell down the stairs! SOB

So sad... my almost 17 mo fell down the stairs today. Long story but he totally spilled down some very steep stairs on our house... not pretty. I took him to the ER after doing a very fast once over & realizing that I didn't have to call 911 & he was awake & pupils were even. Went to the ER & doc says he was ok after waiting for a while. I was pissed, however after we'd been there for 40 mins & another mom rushed in w/her daughter her "bumped her head" (not saying that she wasn't there w/an ER but she was taken back right away) - I went to the lady at the front desk & I'm like HELLO - DID YOU NOT HEAR ME EXPLAIN MY SON FELL DOWN A STEEP SET OF STAIRS HEAD FIRST??? And she explained to me he'd been playing fine, talking, running around, etc. I'm like "Point him out." She did... pointed right to my almost 4 yo. I said "I'm so happy to see that you read the intake form & made it a point to read the correct birth date on the form." You know, this REALLY pissed me off. Granted, our exam went ok once we got in the back, but they didn't know that it would you know? My older son did have a prior head injury that resulted in a stay at the PICU previously. GRRRR Don't they know that 40 min could be so beneficial in helping an injured child?

Sorry to rant... Anyway, my son with the CORRECT b-day was in his sling, laying still, crying whenever I moved. He ended up coming out for his exam & fussing about. He did walk around ok, fussing but didn't limp or anything. Just ran to mamma from the doc. Poor guy. They didn't feel the need to do any scans or anything, which I was surprised, but everything seemed in order. He didn't get knocked out, cried (as he should), no vomiting, hasn't gone to sleep or anything like that.

Gonna wake him up probably a couple times tonight just real quick as a caution tonight but other than that, he'll prolly just be sore. What a crazy night!

Oh & I'll likely be considering calling or writing a letter after a couple days, having totally cooled off. Want to mention the b-day mix up as well as the fact that when I was in the ER room the nurse left DSs chart back there & I always read them - hey it's our med info right? Well the ER intake lady at the front desk wrote info on the me in the chart "parent:hair unkept;ponytail,messy;no makeup. Children;no toys." WTF? I was going to the damn ER!!! Sorry if I didn't stop to slap on makeup or primp... & I had to tell my oldest 3-4 times "Sorry but I don't have any toys. We can play when we get home." GRRR WTH does that have to be in the chart for? Is this common? I have never once seen that in DSs med records anywhere. I figure if you're going to the ER you NEED to go there... not anything else. Geez.

Advertisement

Old 06-05-2007, 04:00 PM   #2
sandrc
Registered Users
seller

Re: DS fell down the stairs! SOB

gees. i'm glad your son is ok. i'd hate to see what they put in the chart for my DD when we took her to the er in january with croup! it was 5am and we had gotten out of bed and barely took the time to put on clothes and get out the door. dd was in her pjs and night diaper which was huge. i was freaking out because she couldn't breathe and that's all i could think of to put on the form! they probably think i'm some kind of uneducated trash.
sandrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:43 PM   #3
KatiesMom
Registered Users

My Mood:

OMG! I can't believe the things they will write in medical files. Next time be sure to stop at the salon before you go to the ER....
Old 06-05-2007, 04:51 PM   #4
mrsbehaven007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OMG !! how scary !! I cant believe they did that to you and your baby .. and if I would have read that in my childs charts.. I might have been ready to throw down in that place.. when My son needed stitches.. I was pregnant with william .. about 7mths.. no make up .. I was nasty.. .. we had been cleaning house all day .. and I am so sorry .. when my kid gets hurt.. I dont take a shower.. put on makeup .. and grab a few toys.. I get my A$$ to the hospital.. what a loony to have wrote that down.. and Yep .. you need to write the hospital.. that isnt cool at all !!!
mrsbehaven007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:51 PM   #5
ferrferr
Banned
seller

My Mood:

We got to wait for like an hour in the ER and my daughter had a fever of 105. That was after the triage nurse treated her like an animal that was refusing a medicine dropper. She didn't even bother to ask if my daughter would willingly take meds, just grabbed her head and shoved it back. God I was pissed off after that and I wanted that nurse to never interact with a small child again. She was a whole year old, burning up, scared and not knowing what was going on.

I love ERs.
ferrferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:01 PM   #6
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

All the girls fell down the stairs once onto cement. We took the oldest in when she did because an hour or so later she wouldn't walk without holding onto the wall & she was hobbling more than walking(she was around 18months). She did this for about 20-30minutes so we decided we should take her in. Our dr happened to be working ER(he always is when I go in for something stupid.lol). When we got in there he had us put her down & she took off running the little twit.lol He laughed & said it was still a good thing to bring her in because they can break bones very easily.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:20 PM   #7
travelinmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm so glad he was okay! Journey fell down the stairs at my moms house, luckily her stairs turn kind of and he only fell down four stairs.

My older ds Mckenzie got stung over two dozen times by bees, we were rushed to the ER in an ambulence and it still took a half an hour before were seen by a doctor!
travelinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:52 PM   #8
nadjarea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

glad your babe is alright. I know how scary that is. ds had an epidural hematoma from falling off of our bed onto terrazzo. We spent the night in the PICU too.

HOLY CRAP...how are they gonna write something like that on a form...what does that have to do with your baby falling down the stairs........I'd definitely be talking to someone about your visit. What kind of crappy hospital is that...last time I checked a hospital is where you go to get help.....
Old 06-05-2007, 06:55 PM   #9
crystalkicks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatiesMom View Post
OMG! I can't believe the things they will write in medical files. Next time be sure to stop at the salon before you go to the ER....

Im with this person!!
Old 06-05-2007, 07:09 PM   #10
alasich
Registered Users

My Mood:

Who the h--- wears makeup to the ER?????

My 17 month old dd fell down the stairs 2 wks ago. We have a town house and it was only 4 carpeted ones. But she did fall head over heels and tumbled all the way. I was scared she hurt her neck. She limped for a few min. but was fine. I'm so glad your ds is okay--I know how scary it is!!! They told me to wake her up twice a night for two nights and make her walk AND talk each time. She was not happy w/ me but it was nice to see she was okay. Oh, and they told me to sleep in the same room w/ her but we already do that most nights, LOL.